New Grower Groundcovers, and the benefits they can provide.

@Joe383 Hi bud, and thanks for stopping in. Now, I already know you are a "get my own results" kinda guy, and that awesome. I am too. However I did a bit of reading on the subject of reflective floors, and the general concise is that is won't do much good.

Okay, so the underside of leaves won't process the light. Thats the main disadvantage. Now what the reflective floor could do, is shoot that light back to another reflective surface, and broadcast to the top of the leaves in that manner. This is mainly cause the chances of the light reflecting exactly where it can from are darn near impossible. So it would be reflected and thrown in to a game of old school pong, until it reaches a surface that could absorb it. If you where running a scrog, or a solid canopy though, it would probably be useless, as the light shouldn't/wouldn't reach the floor.

Ya I thought that too and it makes sense because the plant is not designed to get light from the bottom up but the leaf is also transparent and the light passes through it. I decided I am going to try it using pearlite. Will not work as good as white sand but I have it and its cheep. Its going to scatter light in all directions due to its shape but if it works at all it should make at least a little bit of a difference. I think the best way to tell would not be so much the plant size but if the popcorn nugs on the bottom of the plant mature and fill out more than the other plant I grow it next too. Size could just be genetics or nutrient related but if my bottom nugs are more mature than I am use to I will know it worked.

@guerilla Thanks bud! However I am going to disagree with you about the acid level of dead pine leaves. It has been a long lived myth. Here are a few reading on the matter. I would suggest simply not using anything that makes you uncomfortable though, regardless of my link postings.

http://www.gardenmyths.com/pine-needles-acidify-soil/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2702/#b
http://pinestraw.com/blog/can-tell-pine-straw-soil-acid-ph-levels/

Take care bud.:smoking:
Thank fug gonna check those out...ya may have opened some areas to the guerilla ' s green.
Ps always disagree with people who are wrong :) it's a good thing

@Joe383 I'd be very interested to see in how it turns out. I like the idea of looking at the bottom nugs. Good idea bud!:smoking:

@guerilla Not a problem at all man. I hope you are able to find success with them.:biggrin:

Does any body have any suggestions that have not been listed yet? Preferable something with added bonuses like N,P,K.

Another item I like to use, but forgot to list is banana leaves. We all know that the fruit is hight in potassium, but did you know the entire herb is is full of it?. Oh yeah, although it is called a tree, it is actually a herbaceous plant. If you live in an area that can sustain these, you can use the leaves, fruit, peels (recommended to compost, or burn to ash first) flower (this is my favorite to make FPJ from) and even the heart of the plant. Hell even green nanners are still high in K! They can be used for a dead mulch, or in a green manure, or both at once!

If you have anything you would like to add, just let me know, and I will happily add it to the correct posting. Till later, take care guys!:smoking:

Does any body have any suggestions that have not been listed yet? Preferable something with added bonuses like N,P,K.

Another item I like to use, but forgot to list is banana leaves. We all know that the fruit is hight in potassium, but did you know the entire herb is is full of it?. Oh yeah, although it is called a tree, it is actually a herbaceous plant. If you live in an area that can sustain these, you can use the leaves, fruit, peels (recommended to compost, or burn to ash first) flower (this is my favorite to make FPJ from) and even the heart of the plant. Hell even green nanners are still high in K! They can be used for a dead mulch, or in a green manure, or both at once!

If you have anything you would like to add, just let me know, and I will happily add it to the correct posting. Till later, take care guys!:smoking:

this is awesome news because i actually have a banana plant

good to see you here always nice to see familiar faces

@Dion Ironically I was just talking about diy led with another feller here, and your name came up. Two day later, I see you'r name. He already knew of some of your work, so I sent him to beunos thread for some more info. I figured between you, bueno, and Supra he should be set.

So banana plant, I love'em. Heres some good info I found regarding them.
This mornings research has not really got anywhere yet. I'm only an hour in, but not getting many leads. I also sampled the fresh batch, and that could be the problem. No coffee? I'll be right back.

Whew... Well, the bud is good. Taste like a green wet bud, yay for hay. High is on point though. Relieves the pain in my back from osteoarthritis, puts anxieties at bay, and makes me feel pretty social. Being a full time father, and on the go, it is just what I need. I wish I had more of these seeds, it would make a great staple in the garden.

So my research for today is about banana leaves. I want to know what micro nutrients I can utilize. I already shred up some of the dead leaves and mix it in my mulch. That is more for the idea of having a mixture of items that what they can give. I have around 20 trees, plus we buy them (organic, local farmer) for my son who loves them. I have a lot of nanner byproduct here.

Basic banana nutrients are:

1. Nutrition Facts
    Bananas
    Amount Per 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) (118 g)

Calories 105

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 1 mg 0%
    Potassium 422 mg 12%
    Total Carbohydrate 27 g 9%
    Dietary fiber 3.1 g 12%
    Sugar 14 g
    Protein 1.3 g 2%
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 17%
    Calcium 0% Iron 1%
    Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 20%
    Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 8%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Banana peel nutrients are:

Nutrition Facts

Serving size:
1 medium banana
(4.5 oz / 126 g)

Calories 110
Calories from Fat 0

*Percent Daily Values (%DV)
are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Amt per Serving %DV* Amt per Serving %DV*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Total Carbohydrate 30 g 10%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Sugars 19 g
Potassium 450 mg 13%
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2%
Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 15%
Iron 2%

Banana flower nutrients are:

As per the African Journal of Biotechnology, 100g of banana flower offers the below mentioned nutrition:

51 kcal
1.6 g of Protein
0.6 g of Fat
9.9 g Carb
5.7 fgof Fiber
56 mg of Calcium
73.3 mg of Phosphorous
56.4 mg of Iron
13 mg of Copper
553.3 mg of Potassium
48.7 mg of Magnesium
1.07 mg of Vitamin E

As far as green bananas are concerned. The only real difference I can find is that a green banana is high in starches. They will turn in to sugars when it turns yellow. Micro nutrients are said to be with in %10 +/-.
This is all info I have found in the past. Also why you will see me using them a lot.

So as stated, todays info quest is on the leaves of the tree.

They are used in several cultures for food. Just about any reason you would use foil to cook with can be substituted for the nanner leaf. As nutrition is concerned it contains a lot of polyphenols which have antioxidant properties, so in a way consuming banana leaf maybe as healthy as consuming tea. They are also water proof, and a great option for thatch roofs. Some cultures even use them to make fences around the property.

So that concludes class for the morning.
Thanks you for participating in "Nanners; the impact on diets, and cultures 101"

Upon further research, 102 may be offered this afternoon. Time to smoke another.
*******************************************************************************************

This is for a FPE I make from the banana flower. It's is hands down my favorite thing to make.
Banana FPJ

So are you still doing the aquaponics? It looked like a lot of work, but so neat. I love the idea of it, unfortunately it wouldn't work for my current setting. Anywho, I'm sure we'll chat some more. Till later, take care.

Nah the Aquaponics got too noisy lol

But works well and a lot less hassle than hydro once set up, I miss it
@Dion Ironically I was just talking about diy led with another feller here, and your name came up. Two day later, I see you'r name. He already knew of some of your work, so I sent him to beunos thread for some more info. I figured between you, bueno, and Supra he should be set.

So banana plant, I love'em. Heres some good info I found regarding them.

*******************************************************************************************

This is for a FPE I make from the banana flower. It's is hands down my favorite thing to make.
Banana FPJ

So are you still doing the aquaponics? It looked like a lot of work, but so neat. I love the idea of it, unfortunately it wouldn't work for my current setting. Anywho, I'm sure we'll chat some more. Till later, take care.[/QUOT

Back