Gnats !

MesaBoogie

We live to survive our paradoxes
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I've got gnats ! I know this has been discussed many a time here but I guess it's my turn. I've had gnats in the past and mosquito dunks worked great ! However, this time I've been battling them for over 6 months now with mosquito dunks and it's only keeping the population down. Can gnats become immune after prolonged use of the dunks ?
So my next attack I guess would be a product I can get here locally called Nemaknights. Anyone familiar with it ? Can I use these nematodes in conjunction with mosquito dunks or will the dunks just kill the nematodes ?

My process with the Mosquito dunks is to fill a 5g pail of water and add half a dunk to the water and let it sit for 3 days before watering. I had been using the same chunk of mosquito dunk for a few watering's in a row but I have since tried adding fresh dunks every water to no avail. I've seen some people recommend breaking up the dunks and putting it in soil, others say this can cause it to go moldy.

Would appreciate any tips or advice !
Thanks !

Edit: I should mention I'm growing in Coco Coir.

Last edited:
I've got gnats ! I know this has been discussed many a time here but I guess it's my turn. I've had gnats in the past and mosquito dunks worked great ! However, this time I've been battling them for over 6 months now with mosquito dunks and it's only keeping the population down. Can gnats become immune after prolonged use of the dunks ?
So my next attack I guess would be a product I can get here locally called Nemaknights. Anyone familiar with it ? Can I use these nematodes in conjunction with mosquito dunks or will the dunks just kill the nematodes ?

My process with the Mosquito dunks is to fill a 5g pail of water and add half a dunk to the water and let it sit for 3 days before watering. I had been using the same chunk of mosquito dunk for a few watering's in a row but I have since tried adding fresh dunks every water to no avail. I've seen some people recommend breaking up the dunks and putting it in soil, others say this can cause it to go moldy.

Would appreciate any tips or advice !
Thanks !

Edit: I should mention I'm growing in Coco Coir.

I grow in coco too I’ve used the bits before with success. Had heard the same about just putting them on the soil it is best to dissolve in water. Now I use Gnatrol organic BTI it’s a powder that’s dissolves way better and/or pot poppers(time release nematodes) this has pretty much eliminated gnats from my grow :pass: :goodluck:

Sticky traps and an electric raquet (mosquito zapper) should help you. Just using the mosquito dunks is usually not enough for big infestations.

Sticky traps or tape laid directly on top of your coco will significantly cut down on the live gnats flying around quickly. Use along with BT. Also wipe down sides and bottom of fabric bags with peroxide

I powder the dunks using a coarse file. Then apply to the surface. It seems more efficient than trying to crumble or break them into little pieces.

I'd suggest Bt (dunks, etc.) combined with a Spinosad insecticide applied foliarly/sprayed. And if really needed or do it initially, add Spinosad to your feed water (presuming the plant is not near harvest). Unlike living soil, with coco it's not a problem if you kill all the insects in the medium.

AFN clearly has some seasoned vets that have been to war against the dirty gnats ! All seems like sound advice from everyone who replied. I'll continue with the dunks and file or smash them down as suggested. It's good to know I can safely use dunks in addition to the nematodes. Spinosad is something I know I can get locally here as I have used it before. I didn't know it worked to help control gnats as well. Unfortunately it seems hard to find the "bits" here in Canada. I'll check into the bti powder, but maybe just filing down the dunks in the meantime will serve the same purposes as I already have them.

I'm so tired of fighting gnats,

Thank you all !

Back