Outdoor From seed to weed, guerilla-style... With some help from AFN!

it really depends on the breeder I think.
for indoors I wouldn't stay away from big seedbanks, but from all the reports I've seen online, I don't even look at big seedbanks for outdoor. can't compare it myself(I've always grown strains from smaller breeders), but from growreports I've seen the best outdoorplants are more often from smaller, outdoordedicated breeders than from big seedbanks.

it's not that I think it's because of the scale though, just a corelation that exists.
but it's because the big seedbanks are usually mostly focussed on indoor. that's where the demand is, and that's where the most money is to be made.
and then the outdoorsection on their sites are much smaller, , and you notice their focus is less on it.

but there are some breeders where the focus is the other way around, or they don't even breed indoor, but usually they're not that big since the market is much smaller(especially since an outdoorplant for spain is not the same as an outdoorplant for denmark, there also is a reputation to outdoor for being less potent so most people don't bother growing outdoor, and now with autoflowers taking over the market you can just grow an indoor-bred autoflower and let it finish in summer, so breeders don't even need to do seperate breeding for outdoor anymore, but that also means the strains sold get adapted to indoor first, and traits more important for outdoor come second). so while their numbers are better, and they can select better, their direction of selection is different.

and since there are so many breeders, and even more strains(and often I have to go crawling trough multiple 20-page growreports to find out more about the strain, or I can't even find anyone who grew it in a similar climate as mine and finished his growreport), I find it easier to just skip over the big breeders so I don't have to research every single strain to find the few that do well outdoor, I just go straight to the outdoorfocussed breeders where every strain does well outdoor. and often since those strains are specifically bred for outdoor in a similar climate, all growreports I'll find are usefull, instead of having to seperate out all the indoorreports and reports from more southern countries.

not to say nothing good can come from big indoorfocussed seedbanks, it's just harder to find I think. and I think it's easier to find good outdoortraits when a strain has a long history/linage outdoor, while with strains who have a lineage consisting of plant grown indoors for generations it's more random wether the genes that are beneficial outdoors, but not indoors, are preserved.

I think we may see some nice things come out of canada though, there are already some good outdoorstrains that oroginated there(like guerilla gold), combine that with being able to grow big numbers due to legalisation, and we may see an outdoorfocussed breeder with the plantnumbers and quality of selection of a big breeder.

another factor, but that's just for me personally, is that I prefer sativas. most breeders already work more with hybrids, but especially outdoor when you need something that finishes early enough, it's easiest to work with an indica. that's also why I started breeding my own, and I work from some danish strains, where there are a few mostly sativastrains that are adapted to outdoor in denmark, that I think are a good basis to work from. but they're less comercially interesting, there are a few heirloom/ibl like strains(royal dane for example) that are a bit more leafy and looser buds, and not as potent as most people would want. and there are some strains from for example hfh that have more potent pheno's, but are less stabilized, and you'll also find more leafy plants.
so it's much easier to take something like guerilla gold which has nicer buds, but I don't care as much about bag appeal, I want something that motivates and activates me, that makes me think and focus, and not locks me to a couch or makes me fall asleep. I also accept lower potency if the kind of high is better.
so naturally if my taste doesn't allign with the majority of the market, I'll have to look further than the big players in the market to find what I seek.
Nice one, my man, and well written! Be sure to keep us updated on your own strains, I curious to hear about them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi all, and please have a seat for this update on the bagseed boys and girls. Yesterday was a big day! I finally got around to transplanting them to their guerilla spot on around 3 weeks and 1 day of sprouting! Yay for that!
They had grow out nice and healthy and with the good weather we are getting now, I had left them in the garden at night for 2 nights in a row. They seemed happy in the morning and showed good growth after these days of living outside.
So I finally got around to visiting the place I had in mind of growing them. One beginners mistake I made, is that I didn't prepare the growspots in advance, but maybe that will turn out to be not so bad at all. This is because the place I want to test is very wet in autumn/winter, almost like a marsch in some places. It is a very pretty and totally secluded place with a natural, small river running through it, high oak (I think) trees with lots of sun and very open in between the trees. I also noticed there where a lot of nettles growing where I planted them, and I read somewhere that this is a very good sign of fertile ground. Since it is still somewhat early in the year here, the place is not overgrown with blackberries yet, but I know it will be later in the year. Once I choose the spots, I dug the holes for the 3 plants in a similar fashion: holes of 50x50cm I filled with potting soil, than some chicken manure and then another layer of a mixture I brought which I made at home. It is potting soil, full soil from my garden and perlite. I wetted the pots the plants where in so the soil would cling to the roots and placed them carefully in the holes and then proceeded to fill with more of my own mixture soil. I think I may have wetted the pots to much, as the earth of 2 of the 3 plants really fell apart in my hands. And although I was not holding a clump of roots, I did seem some roots where the soil had slid away around them. I hope they have not been too stressed by this, but sure as hell made me stress about how to transplant my 'good' plants later on. I germed some of my seeds in degradable pots, and of all the methods I tried for transplanting, I still like that the best: either you just peel the degradable pot from around the soil, or you just plant the whole pot in soil, and the roots will grow through it. My only fear of using this method again, is I don't know how long it takes for such a pot to degrade in the soil. Anyone have some experience with this?
Anyway, back to the guerilla spot, and the negatives I see for good growth there. Although the plants will surely get enough direct sunlight and groundwater, it is maybe too wet now. I know it dries out there during summer, and I have placed them in 'imported' soil with easy access to water, but I do hope it is not too wet for them. The second thing I noticed, is there where signs of deer there. I am not an expert, and I did see enough green leaves that suggest the deer are not visiting this place at this time of year and munching on the fresh leaves, but I think they will later on. So, I left some human scent they don't like and which I got as a tip on here ;-)
We'll see how it goes. In any case, it was a nice adventure to plant them there, and a very beautiful place to spend some time and discovering. If it turns out to be a good growing spot, I can easily plant 10 to 15 plants there without them even being in the vicinity of each other.
Anyway, I have uploaded some pictures of the area, and the spots where I planted them, so take a look.
Also, I am not sure, but I think all 3 are ladies. I saw spiky growth between the steel and fan leaves, but maybe its just new leaves and I am totally wrong and they are not showing yet. Sorry for the blurry pics of the close up plants. My camera is just not good enough on focusing on these details, despite my efforts.
4331d4de1d37aa6c87ca7ef85e410ce2.jpg
91aa61618303bd7e9534731e97285253.jpg
d334cbc4c3ac3a02ec9e2c49255df649.jpg
c15c2339812f1a1cb62ea78d0f3ab0a5.jpg
58f34a239b8245c0ce923c544214216b.jpg
5c01d59c0d4fed6c94ce204318e79130.jpg

Great work! Looks like a good site.
As for transplanting, yeah, don't have the water too wet.
I prefer mostly dry, but not too dry either.

Maybe think about mesh cage for deer if they're a problem.

You're rocking it, amigo!

Hi all! Went for a check real quickly yesterday as I was with other people, so unfortunately no pictures. All 3 plants that I planted out are still alive, and they are growing! No sign of deer or any other critters. So far the good news.
I also noticed the leaves are curling up on the edges, which as far as I know points to overwatering. As I said, the ground there is really wet and like a swamp this time of year, so I think that has to be the problem.
I did notice some good growth on all the plants, even though they have only been there since Tuesday, and yesterday when I was there was Sunday morning. So question is now: will they survive until it dries out more? What will they die when the wet conditions remain?

Hi all! Went for a check real quickly yesterday as I was with other people, so unfortunately no pictures. All 3 plants that I planted out are still alive, and they are growing! No sign of deer or any other critters. So far the good news.
I also noticed the leaves are curling up on the edges, which as far as I know points to overwatering. As I said, the ground there is really wet and like a swamp this time of year, so I think that has to be the problem.
I did notice some good growth on all the plants, even though they have only been there since Tuesday, and yesterday when I was there was Sunday morning. So question is now: will they survive until it dries out more? What will they die when the wet conditions remain?

Have you done your research on local climate, in particular rainfall?

Ideally, if very wet, high rainfall, then could have augmented the soil with lots of perlite or clay pellets (hydroton, etc.) for more drainage.

Otherwise... not sure. Would digging a trench around the plant, maybe 1m out help? Or make it worse? >.... ???

Have you done your research on local climate, in particular rainfall?

Ideally, if very wet, high rainfall, then could have augmented the soil with lots of perlite or clay pellets (hydroton, etc.) for more drainage.

Otherwise... not sure. Would digging a trench around the plant, maybe 1m out help? Or make it worse? >.... ???
Yes, as far as research goes: I've been living in the area for all my life, so I know now is the wettest part of the year. In 2 months time, it will be much drier and the watertable will be lower. Right now, we're going to have some in between weather, with clouds, sunny days and days with sunshine and rain. I'm hoping they will last until June, which will be much drier. I saw good growth, so something must be good.
I added perlite, but I forgot the clay pellets. I have them, I just didn't think it could help.
No, a trench will not work. The land is full of trenches to get water from the stream nearby to the fields. In between is my spot...
I'll try and go back next week and stay a little longer and take some pictures. If they die, I think next year I'm still gonna use the spot, but dig in pots halfway with the sides and bottom cut, so the plants can still get to ground water level, but it will not suffocate the roots.

Yes, as far as research goes: I've been living in the area for all my life, so I know now is the wettest part of the year. In 2 months time, it will be much drier and the watertable will be lower. Right now, we're going to have some in between weather, with clouds, sunny days and days with sunshine and rain. I'm hoping they will last until June, which will be much drier. I saw good growth, so something must be good.
I added perlite, but I forgot the clay pellets. I have them, I just didn't think it could help.
No, a trench will not work. The land is full of trenches to get water from the stream nearby to the fields. In between is my spot...
I'll try and go back next week and stay a little longer and take some pictures. If they die, I think next year I'm still gonna use the spot, but dig in pots halfway with the sides and bottom cut, so the plants can still get to ground water level, but it will not suffocate the roots.

All the best, man. Hope you can sort it out.
Or, at the least, learn from it and make the next grow better!
Seek improvement, not necessarily perfection. :p

Seems to me that for your location it's still very early in the season, huh?

All the best, man. Hope you can sort it out.
Or, at the least, learn from it and make the next grow better!
Seek improvement, not necessarily perfection. [emoji14]

Seems to me that for your location it's still very early in the season, huh?
Yes, learning was the whole point of growing these particular plants. I germed them too early when there was too little sun. So now that they are ready, it's still a bit early and everything is still is only now budding and coming slowly back to life. There is an old folk wisdom knowledge kind of thing here, that you have to wait until beginning of May to plant out. That is because until then you can still have a night when it freezes, and it will ruin your plants. So, yeah, still early days..

Back