Mephisto Genetics Frogleg's first DWC Mephisto grow : Deep Blue C and Toofless Alien (testing Frogtech)

She is going for it man, have you thought about opening her up a bit with some light LST here and there?

Hey sour.b, thank a lot for the comment. I'm glad you brought that up, I was planning on trying a bit of LST with my first plant, but the Deep Blue C might not be the best strain for a beginner like me since it's incredibly compact and the stems are pretty thick.
I gave it a try anyway just to see how it goes.
How does it look ? Please don't hesitate if you have any tips :cheers:

_20160405_143034.JPG

(Main cola on the right side)

_20160405_143344.JPG

(Main cola in the front)

_20160405_143634.JPG

(Main cola in the back)

Hi everyone!

I finished brewing my Grim Reefer style super anti root rot tea last night, this time it had a nice sweet and clay-like smell all along : DSC_1126.JPG

When I checked the plant today I noticed several changes. First of all, there was a bit of white foam around the roots, but I don't think this is much to worry about so I didn't bother taking a picture.
Then I noticed things that looked like small salt crystals you would find on a rock near the ocean on the bigger roots (or could it be tiny eggs...?) :
@Grim Reefer , have you ever seen anything like this when using your tea with hydro ? I'm curious what it is, might just be new roots forming but it doesn't look as usual :
DSC_1129.JPG
_20160406_152911.JPG

I also noticed a slight Nitrogen burn on the tip of the main cola's new growth, could it be the tea pushing the roots to absorb more ? Or does it contain a certain amount of Nitrogen ?
ppm is around 600 and usually does not raise as the plant drinks.
_20160406_153219.JPG

As for the LST, I finally managed to pull down the main cola low enough for it not to be the tallest one anymore (if this even means anything).
I think I'm going to stop flooding with picture for now though :smoking:

Thanks for reading ! :cheers:

Last edited:
Hi frogleg

Your plant is looking very happy after administrating the tea.
I have read that the tea helps Nitrogen to brake down much faster than usual so i think that is why you might notice some clawing if that is what occurred .
If you talking about the slight pale tips on the leaves that looks to me like a trace elements deficiency and not nutrient burn.
To prevent a trace elements deficiency from happening again get yourself a bottle of CANNA Trace Mix and add that from week 4 onward in small amounts.

Hi frogleg

Your plant is looking very happy after administrating the tea.
I have read that the tea helps Nitrogen to brake down much faster than usual so i think that is why you might notice some clawing if that is what occurred .
If you talking about the slight pale tips on the leaves that looks to me like a trace elements deficiency and not nutrient burn.
To prevent a trace elements deficiency from happening again get yourself a bottle of CANNA Trace Mix and add that from week 4 onward in small amounts.

Hey Grim, thanks for the quick reply! That's a very nice thing to hear, and I think she loved it too.
It looked a bit more burnt in reality but this is impossible to tell on the pictures, as it is only of the very tip of the leaf.
I just looked up the Canna trace mix, aren't those ingredients usually found in the "micro" part of a base nutrient ? (I'm using Sensi A&B though, but I'm surprised those things aren't included..)
Guess I'm on my way to the grow shop then ! :smoking:
Are there any other symptoms of this deficiency I might want to look out for ?

No problem frogleg.
You will know for sure if its a burn if the tips change colour and die back after a couple of days. if they are still just a pale lime green then its a trace deficiency.
Yes you are correct Sensi grow and Bloom do have some of these elements in their base nutes but because you are using 1/4 of the strength the plant is not getting enough of everything it needs. That is why its handy to have a bottle of trace mix as it gives the plant an extra boost of those much needed elements without overdosing on NPK.
Hope that helps.

Could not be any clearer, thanks a lot @Grim Reefer !
One last question though, I just read that you should not mix Canna trace-mix with "nutrients containing concentrated calcium", and I've been pumping cal-mag into the bucket for a while now. Any thoughts?

I have also read the same and you raise a good point.
To be honest I have used a cal/mg supplement along side the trace elements with no problems.
I always add cal/mg to the water first then trace mix, then additives after that its the base nutes and last but not least silicon.
If you do it in this order you wont get any issues.

Back