Mephisto Genetics Frogleg's first DWC Mephisto grow : Deep Blue C and Toofless Alien (testing Frogtech)

That loud? The MAX 6' Max exhaust fan that I have in the armoire is loud, but not as loud as the a/c in the Den. Your air pump is on all the time, i would assume. The lights and exhaust fan are off on the Stealth Armoire/Cabinet from 12 noon to 6 in the early evening. A policeman could walk up to it at that time and not have any idea that inside there is a ganja grow. When the Max fan does go on it's a little noticeable w/o the room a/c on.

Yep, I hear more bubbles = more buds ! Its not that loud but someone walking by would definitely wonder what's going on inside the closet, plus I dont have an AC to cover up as its bloody cold where I am. Appart from that, the cheap chinese water pump I got off of amazon is incredibly quiet (and efficient, I'm currently buying a larger outlet pipe as the diameter I have cant follow up), and the PC fans I use are super stealthy !

Is the closet built into the wall like a hall closet or is it free standing?

Yes built into the wall. Well kind of, it's actually a rail and a sliding door put in the corner of the room, but it's leaning on the wall.

Quite a setup you have there, looking grand brother! Im sure youll get two beasts in there!

Any specific reasons you choose a closet grow instead of basement/attic tent?

That's because I dont have a basement or an attic :crying: I live in a single room flat, so a closet is pretty much all I have in here. If you're asking why not a tent, its because it felt like more DIY, and seems cheaper ;)

Hey!
Looking good. It would be cool if you felt like starting something in the DIY section. Your weather station arduino sounds cool. I tried to launch something along those lines but lost track and had no time!!
That cab is cool to a thread with details on that would be cool to. Don't want to overwhelm you!!
Keep it going, can't wait to see some pretty girls in that space soon!

Thanks Willy !
I intended to post a tread about the closet+DWC, but dont you think it's better to check if it works well first ? Maybe when I have some pretty little girls to show off it will prove its not just waterworks :smoking:

Looking good bro ure diy skills are far better than mine that's for sure

Haha thanks bro, hope it will prove its value ! :pass:

_20160229_165512.JPG
I put the DBC in a root riot cube, and following the instructions, placed it in the only warm place I have... Turtles ares getting suspiscious...!
The glass on top keeps RH at a steady 90%

Frog,

Great set up you got going! I have a very similar set up. My floor space is 23"x35" with 54" of height from floor to ceiling, running 2(when needed) MarsHydro 300w "old" old model(180 real watts)LED, 4" HV fan and CAN carbon filter. Here is my advice. I believe Mephisto's respond very very well to hydro. My very first hydro grow was with a Sour Crack and she was over 30" wide and 20"+ tall. I could not imagine trying to squeeze 2 plants(in hydro) into my space which is more or less what you have too.

As for the MarsHydro 300w units. I have noticed over the course of my grows(soil based included) that you need to keep the Mars at least 18" from the top of the plants or they will be stressed. Up your usage of Cal/Mag as well. If you have grow with these lights then you most likely know this already. My plants do fine till I run out of room to move my lights up and then they start showing light stress. I have just gotten to that point with my current Cherry Bomb plant and right on time I am seeing stress on the top of the plant.

Frog,

Great set up you got going! I have a very similar set up. My floor space is 23"x35" with 54" of height from floor to ceiling, running 2(when needed) MarsHydro 300w "old" old model(180 real watts)LED, 4" HV fan and CAN carbon filter. Here is my advice. I believe Mephisto's respond very very well to hydro. My very first hydro grow was with a Sour Crack and she was over 30" wide and 20"+ tall. I could not imagine trying to squeeze 2 plants(in hydro) into my space which is more or less what you have too.

As for the MarsHydro 300w units. I have noticed over the course of my grows(soil based included) that you need to keep the Mars at least 18" from the top of the plants or they will be stressed. Up your usage of Cal/Mag as well. If you have grow with these lights then you most likely know this already. My plants do fine till I run out of room to move my lights up and then they start showing light stress. I have just gotten to that point with my current Cherry Bomb plant and right on time I am seeing stress on the top of the plant.

Thanks a lot for the advice HotBunz !

I seriously thought space was not going to be a problem... But you're probably right ! But if I bend them the right way, maybe they will just reach their maximum size for the space and it won't that much of a problem right ?

I'll be sure to maintain a good distance with the lights then. I've never grown with led before, but I've bought a 250ml bottle of AN SensiCal. Do you think that will be enough ? When do you use it, and how much ?
Another pretty important question, should I start with only the 130W CFL in the middle and then turn on both led panels later on ? When ?

PS: your name was definitely supposed to be in my first post, just corrected that !

Thanks again !!
Froggy

Frog,

I am not familiar with AN products. They just seem overly complicated for those just starting and getting an understanding of hydro. I just went to the AN site trying to gather more info on their Sensi Cal Mag Xtra. Does it have an N value on the label? I use GH Calimagic and it is 1-0-0. So with it having a slight nitrogen value I start using it a day 5 or so when I first start feeding. I pull my PPM to 100 with it to start as I feel the jump of Cal/Mag works for me and the low N value is good for the seedlings first taste of nutes. I am feeding my girl a little over 5ml per gallon of Cal/Mag to keep her happy and she currently is using about 1.5 gallons of water per day! Any less and I start to see Cal deficiency spotting on the fan leaves. Regardless of the whole "ph perfect" statement with AN products I assume you have a PH and PPM/EC meter.

Size matters!!!! My current Cherry Bomb has so out grown my cabinet it's not even funny. She is very squashed in on the narrow 23" side and is over 32" on the other side and still growing. I really have no room to bend her around to. By no means do I want to tell anyone what to do but I would caution you about 2 plants because the frustration of running out of room really and yield will suffer due to lack of light penetration from a tight canopy being squeezed together. A Deep Blue C in soil is nothing compared to what it will do in a DWC set up. I can't wait to see how your grows goes and in the mean time here is a teaser of my Cherry Bomb at 39 days(3.5 gallon bubble bucket and notice the light stress starting at the top).

CherryBomb_Day39.jpg

Another pretty important question, should I start with only the 130W CFL in the middle and then turn on both led panels later on ? When ?

Thanks again !!
Froggy

Froggy,

Just realized I missed this. I think the Mars 300w is a bit short on the blue side of the spectrum for the start of a grow. What I have been doing for the last few plants is hanging up a few 6500K CFLs. They of course can be dropped right down to the top of the plant, within 6 inches. I had the Mars on the whole time and would move the CFLs up as the plant grew( almost daily). Once flowering was under way fairly well I took the CLFs(maybe around day 25/30) out and lowered the Mars some. Then of course would move the Mars back up to keep at least 18" away till I ran out of height. So to answer your question YES light up the girls with the CFL, get it right down on top of them.

Frog,

I am not familiar with AN products. They just seem overly complicated for those just starting and getting an understanding of hydro. I just went to the AN site trying to gather more info on their Sensi Cal Mag Xtra. Does it have an N value on the label? I use GH Calimagic and it is 1-0-0. So with it having a slight nitrogen value I start using it a day 5 or so when I first start feeding. I pull my PPM to 100 with it to start as I feel the jump of Cal/Mag works for me and the low N value is good for the seedlings first taste of nutes. I am feeding my girl a little over 5ml per gallon of Cal/Mag to keep her happy and she currently is using about 1.5 gallons of water per day! Any less and I start to see Cal deficiency spotting on the fan leaves. Regardless of the whole "ph perfect" statement with AN products I assume you have a PH and PPM/EC meter.

Size matters!!!! My current Cherry Bomb has so out grown my cabinet it's not even funny. She is very squashed in on the narrow 23" side and is over 32" on the other side and still growing. I really have no room to bend her around to. By no means do I want to tell anyone what to do but I would caution you about 2 plants because the frustration of running out of room really and yield will suffer due to lack of light penetration from a tight canopy being squeezed together. A Deep Blue C in soil is nothing compared to what it will do in a DWC set up. I can't wait to see how your grows goes and in the mean time here is a teaser of my Cherry Bomb at 39 days(3.5 gallon bubble bucket and notice the light stress starting at the top).

View attachment 536997

Thanks a lot for taking the time. I don't have the bottle yet, it's been shipped today, so I can't tell you anything, but I'll be sure to compare it to yours.
Of course, EC meter came in the mail today an pH is on the way. I use pH drops tests for now but I know its not precise enough, and definitely not for hydro.

Wow.. This is.. Impressive. I really did not imagine having such monsters in my closet, especially as I am a novice I'm confident I have the ability to fuck up everything ! So maybe I won't end up with such beauties HotBunz !! ;) Anyway, beans are popped and the setup is ready for both, and I think a have a little time before they get that big... If they ever do. You definitely got me thinking (a lot) though, so thanks again ! I'll try to come up with a solution in the meantime.

Froggy,

Just realized I missed this. I think the Mars 300w is a bit short on the blue side of the spectrum for the start of a grow. What I have been doing for the last few plants is hanging up a few 6500K CFLs. They of course can be dropped right down to the top of the plant, within 6 inches. I had the Mars on the whole time and would move the CFLs up as the plant grew( almost daily). Once flowering was under way fairly well I took the CLFs(maybe around day 25/30) out and lowered the Mars some. Then of course would move the Mars back up to keep at least 18" away till I ran out of height. So to answer your question YES light up the girls with the CFL, get it right down on top of them.

Great, thanks for the reply ! Light up the girls, you mean I should turn on all 730W from day 1 ?

Good luck with your grow frogleg! subbed sounds promising..

Thanks a lot sour.b !! Feels great to know I have some people out there keeping an eye on my mistakes !

Quick update just to say this will be day 1 for the Deep Blue C :
_20160302_203602.JPG

I've got to say the root riot cube does a pretty good job, only 24h after dropping the barely germinated seed in it, here's her tail showing up : _20160302_190656.JPG
10h later, her head struggling to get out _20160302_190958.JPG
3h later, nearly made it _20160302_203824.JPG
After 30 minutes, success ! _20160302_204326.JPG

Toofless Alien is on the same path but a bit lazier it seems.

For those interested, I'm using a large empty pot and some plastic wrap as a humidity "dome" (keeps RH at 99% and temp around 26), and my CFL right on top of it :_20160302_201814.JPG

Attachments

• _20160302_203602.JPG
    _20160302_203602.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Say Froggy - you're in for a treat. I found the DBC to be a nice mellow daytime smoke. But I thought the TxA was a nicer plant. She was taller, bushier, and large frosty dense nugs. Unfortunately I had a mold or mildew problem when drying the TxA so I never got to smoke her, but she made some mighty fine hash.

My footprint is the same as yours. I grow in soil and have found that if I limit my pot size to 3gal I have no problem with 2 plants. I can even do 3 if I stager the start dates about 4 weeks apart. Course you're doing hydro which means bigger plants, so it might get a bit tight for you. My main concern is always height. If I raise my light all the way up, I have 45" from the top of the pot to the bottom of the light. I have had a couple of strains where even with a lot of LST, I had problems keeping them from growing into the light. That may not be a problem with these Mephisto girls though, my tallest was only 18".

I use AN nutes too. I use loose adaptation of one of @TaNgs feed schedules - he has posted 2-3 of these. The most recent has the fewest additives. He isn't doing hydro but it will give a good feel as to when to add what.:cheers:

Back