Outdoor First outdoor winter grow. Southern hemisphere

the green bandit

Outdoor gardening enthusiast
AFN Global Moderator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a first time grower and user of any forum so please forgive my lack of knowledge about both. I have been looking at AFN for the last couple of months and just joined.
This is my first time growing this wonderful plant and so far so good i think. It is mid winter here but i could not wait to sprout my beans so here we are, hoping to pull off a winter grow for my first time. I live in a sub tropical part of the world so shouldn't be too bad.
My line up so far are 2 himalayan blue diesel about day 24 above ground, 1 northern lights day 18 above ground,1 sour 60 day 10 above ground, another himalayan blue diesel day 8 and finally 1 green crack photo on day 8.
All seem to be going well at the moment. They spend the night under cfl's and the day out in the sun. All are potted in 6 litre pots with a basic potting mix 20% perlite added and a small amount of blood and bone.
The day time temperature is in the mid 20c with night time dropping to about 5 c so pretty good. The next month should see the night time temperature rise a bit so the girls will be left out of a night soon.
Please feel free to leave any feedback you have as i am still trying to learn about growing our favorite herb.
09d9467834db071b3369c4b4e31d9d1e.jpg
ce5fa2c870df33685677b1628aeefb32.jpg
b4cf9b6d6bab248b661149b4e986924a.jpg
a8ddbb992e11a6a71500328170c17c46.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

None have been fed anything besides ph tap water so far,next watering i will water the 3 big girls at 1/4 strength nutes.

Hi all. I am a first time grower and user of any forum so please forgive my lack of knowledge about both. I have been looking at AFN for the last couple of months and just joined.
This is my first time growing this wonderful plant and so far so good i think. It is mid winter here but i could not wait to sprout my beans so here we are, hoping to pull off a winter grow for my first time. I live in a sub tropical part of the world so shouldn't be too bad.
My line up so far are 2 himalayan blue diesel about day 24 above ground, 1 northern lights day 18 above ground,1 sour 60 day 10 above ground, another himalayan blue diesel day 8 and finally 1 green crack photo on day 8.
All seem to be going well at the moment. They spend the night under cfl's and the day out in the sun. All are potted in 6 litre pots with a basic potting mix 20% perlite added and a small amount of blood and bone.
The day time temperature is in the mid 20c with night time dropping to about 5 c so pretty good. The next month should see the night time temperature rise a bit so the girls will be left out of a night soon.
Please feel free to leave any feedback you have as i am still trying to learn about growing our favorite herb.
09d9467834db071b3369c4b4e31d9d1e.jpg
ce5fa2c870df33685677b1628aeefb32.jpg
b4cf9b6d6bab248b661149b4e986924a.jpg
a8ddbb992e11a6a71500328170c17c46.jpg

You are taking the right steps for a successful grow bud! Bringing them in and having them under lights in cool temps like 5c is certainly the right move!! Daytime temps are pretty good!!

Blood and bone meal - Its a good fertilizer, but the nitrogen in the blood part gets eaten pretty quickly especially if you only used a small amount. The bone meal breaks down slowly, so it will be a benefit in the later stages as a suppliment for flowering(but i highly doubt it will have the goods to solely feed the flowering) What kind of nutrients do you have?

You are taking the right steps for a successful grow bud! Bringing them in and having them under lights in cool temps like 5c is certainly the right move!! Daytime temps are pretty good!!

Blood and bone meal - Its a good fertilizer, but the nitrogen in the blood part gets eaten pretty quickly especially if you only used a small amount. The bone meal breaks down slowly, so it will be a benefit in the later stages as a suppliment for flowering(but i highly doubt it will have the goods to solely feed the flowering) What kind of nutrients do you have?
I currently only have a fish and kelp organic liquid fertilizer which is 10% nitrogen 3%phosphorus 3%potassium which I will start using at 1/4 strength tomorrow but the spot that they will go in when the weather warms has composed cow and horse manure in it all ready. As well as dolimite and blood and bone "the bonus of living on a farm" should I add any more to my soil in preparation?

I currently only have a fish and kelp organic liquid fertilizer which is 10% nitrogen 3%phosphorus 3%potassium which I will start using at 1/4 strength tomorrow but the spot that they will go in when the weather warms has composed cow and horse manure in it all ready. As well as dolimite and blood and bone "the bonus of living on a farm" should I add any more to my soil in preparation?

What kind of ratio or volume of well composted cow/horse manure are you using per plant?

What kind of ratio or volume of well composted cow/horse manure are you using per plant?
I put around 1/4 total volume of compost 1/4 perlite and the rest potting mix with a couple of handfuls of dolimite and blood and bone in a 2 feet ×2 feet hole

I put around 1/4 total volume of compost 1/4 perlite and the rest potting mix with a couple of handfuls of dolimite and blood and bone in a 2 feet ×2 feet hole

Thats a solid ratio. When you first go to plant, continue to use the nutrients for the first 2 weeks. It always seems to take a couple of weeks before roots expand into manures enough to feed itself properly. The blood meal will help in that respect to some extent, due to its solubility and quick natural breakdown.

I am going to hail in a couple of the tropical or sub-tropical growers into this thread, as I am sure they would like to see it! @hecno @Maria Sanchez
Thanks @912GreenSkell much appreciated it is actually because of one of Maria's journal's that i started this grow in winter

Back