New Grower First grow, Royal Dwarf, UK outdoor

Subbing up... I'm UK based my man and wishing I could do an out doors grow this summer... I have a school directly behind my house so outdoors in no no for me. You will be building an indoor groom soon. That's how it started for me, started out side with some baggie seed then realised the world was about to smell what I was up to so moved it in doors before the kids came back to school. We are looking to move house now with no school at the back of us.

Looking forward to seeing how this go's... still some left on this

View attachment 744117
Ha, funny you should say that.... I've already started thinking about doing a little PC cabinet for the other 2 seeds after this one has run its course outside and the British weather turns on us.

I'm pretty lucky with location, I feel privileged really. Got old neighbours either side, neither of which spend much time in the garden. I have quite a lot of veg, salad and flowers in the garden so being outside tending to plants is nothing suspicious.

Then at the back of us there is a hedgerow and grass verge where all the mice, birds, sloworms and hedgehogs live and then it's farmers fields as far as you can see. So if for any reason I need to go undercover it's just 10 paces to the hedge and fields.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Well no surprise that there's nothing to report yet! (well except the salad seeds that I threw in a spare tray on the same day have broken soil already but this ain't no salad growing forum [emoji1] )
I expect a lot of journals go like this, starting out all excited with lots of detail then going quiet for a few days while waiting impatiently for Mother Nature to work her magic.
I do have a quick question though: the other 2 seeds are still sealed in the foil, and stored in a dark place where temp is 19 degrees C. Should I find a cooler place to store them till I'm ready to use in a few months?

Cheers
Swan

Quick update, we have life!

Well done you clever little seed, I'm proud of you [emoji3]

Oh well, I am off to work now, I'll miss you little seedling!

278cc20ca0e60ade0715a1261c20b981.jpg

Cheers
Swan

S
Well no surprise that there's nothing to report yet! (well except the salad seeds that I threw in a spare tray on the same day have broken soil already but this ain't no salad growing forum [emoji1] )
I expect a lot of journals go like this, starting out all excited with lots of detail then going quiet for a few days while waiting impatiently for Mother Nature to work her magic.
I do have a quick question though: the other 2 seeds are still sealed in the foil, and stored in a dark place where temp is 19 degrees C. Should I find a cooler place to store them till I'm ready to use in a few months?

Cheers
Swan
The seeds should be fine there. 19 degrees is fine. Just make sure they stay dry and in a dark place. :thumbsup: Congrats on your girl's first day! :pass:

Thanks @Raoul-Duke I'll leave the seeds where they are then till needed.

I played about a bit this evening to set up so the CFL is ready to bath seedling in light.

All pretty basic really, I just hung a 125w dual spec and reflector, then pegged together a box out of bright white cardboard and cut in a little 80mm usb fan.

Fired it up for an hour and seems to be 26 degrees around the pot level so hopefully she'll be apples.

This is going to be an outdoor plant but the plan was always to start her off inside and also the have the CFL as back up on really cloudy or cold days.

I'm just winging it all to be honest!

fe71f76db70aa6cfb1df5641f81efeae.jpg

f7db5b79db64de1f392b2a088aeef9ae.jpg

Cheers
Swan

Day 2

She's stood up straight and tall.

Still on the window sill, south west facing so nice and light.

Taken the bottle top away, approx 21 degrees in the room.

Off to work, have fun little seedling! [emoji1]

23ac628fa2c4fa28fdce4b9ef4ba1ed5.jpg

Cheers
Swan

A little update -

The seed is in the hole [emoji1]

Popped it in around 5am this morning (was up most of the night looking after my little girl who was unwell in the night [emoji17])

I know that's not quite a full 12hr soak in water but I did read last night that good / fresh seeds shouldn't necessarily need the soaking part. I have to assume mine are fresh as I had to wait for a week for the supplier to get a restock of the Royal Dwarf before sending them to me.

Soil felt perfectly moist so popped it in around 1cm deep, covered and put the bottle top over.

8495f3fc9bb3f4739475152679ce1c32.jpg

7fa5410fe100ed5ae11a3d4721bbcd15.jpg

The room is approx 20 degrees right now so I might need to up the temp a touch? Whenever I germinate my salad crops, herbs, tomatoes etc for the garden I give them a bit of extra warmth near the wood burner but that's only been during the colder months of the year!

Oh and thanks for all the cool messages.

Cheers
Swan

I haven't soaked a single seed yet, I plant straight into wet plugs and have had 99% gemination, one failed but I blame the seed.
To help raise the temps pick up a green house tube heater. They can go up to 120w, I use an 80w one. It raises the temp by about 5c - 7c depending on outside tent temps and tent size. They are not to expensive, around £30 notes.

I'm pretty lucky with location, I feel privileged really. Got old neighbours either side, neither of which spend much time in the garden. I have quite a lot of veg, salad and flowers in the garden so being outside tending to plants is nothing suspicious.

Then at the back of us there is a hedgerow and grass verge where all the mice, birds, sloworms and hedgehogs live and then it's farmers fields as far as you can see. So if for any reason I need to go undercover it's just 10 paces to the hedge and fields.

All I can say to that is... you lucky. lucky bastard. ;) :pass:

qzDcjl.gif

Back