New Grower First Grow- in 40 years

images

I am kinda wondering about the relationship of pot size/ plant size/ yield.

Tons of correlation between autos and pot size.

I am experimenting and can keep an auto to 50 days in a 3 lt pot (that is for another discussion), after showing sex, but not flowering.

However, the basics are the taproot reaches the bottom, gets stressed and that triggers the next response. i.e. show sex and then flower.

Nobody seems to know what initiates the flower itself. But by stalling them you can get 2 or even 3 x yield! My last was 14.85 oz!

Look up solo cup method, as a way to stall / delay flower in small pots.

Your girls look great dude! Your photos are smashing as well.

BTW, the advise you got is B*****X. The wonder of coco is its ability to hold air. That is why you should ideally run a drain to waste auto irrigation system. The girls do not need wet/dry like soil. They only want oxygen and feed to the nutes.

Pack the pots full, tap, pack again, tap. No need to put down. Water with 0.2 EC (using RO -- important) to 20% run off and then top up. Job done.

Thanks for your reply Brah! It's amazing the number of "experts" on YT and websites making $$$ from spewing bad info. I think I ran into 50% of them before finding AFN.
Did see a comment somewhere about a 1 gallon pot would grow 1' plant, 2 gal =2', 3 gal=3'. Don't know how much of that is true. I am thinking I might be well off to convert these 3 gal airpots into 2 gal. From what you are saying about the tap root, I may want to cut the height of the put down rather than the diameter? It seems the airpots I've seen are all the same height just different diameters.

14.85 from a 3 lt pot - Hubbabubbasmellascope.
9.7 from a 3 lt pot - Fugue State.

I would therefore say no! To get beyond 3 on an auto is good going! End of ....... Most won't

Airpots are good as they allow better root development from air pruning.

The aim, to me, is to delay flower of an auto, so taller pot the better.

FWIW, airpots vary in size, width and height. I grow chillis in short and wide.

3 or 10 lt are the most popular airpots. I exclusively use 3.

Training IMO is far more important than pot size :). Top and slam them to the rim.

Honestly check out some of my diaries .... .coco is easy ;-)

Auto irrigation and drain to waste is vital for the method I am using. All about O2 and nutes.

Happy to help, love paying my dues back. When I have time I cruise down the new growers and try and help the coco growers.

Thanks again!
For me I'm vertically challenged ( 2 spaces 40" to the lights and 1 space 60") so keeping the height down and greater yield is my goal-- until the addiction settles in and I move the bed out.
Subbed to your Orange Diesel and will definitely look up your others. The one in the coffee cup is amazing!

Thanks again!
For me I'm vertically challenged ( 2 spaces 40" to the lights and 1 space 60") so keeping the height down and greater yield is my goal-- until the addiction settles in and I move the bed out.
Subbed to your Orange Diesel and will definitely look up your others. The one in the coffee cup is amazing!

You have more headroom than me!!!!! Get yourself a job lot of pipe cleaners and cable ties.

Yield is all about stalling the auto flower instinct as long as possible and creating nodes that will stretch and create bud sites. Like this :-

bm - day 56.JPG

This is a Blueberry Treacle, day 49! So she runs to 120 days and gives me 12 oz instead of 4 and down at 80!

Top :-

bta top - day 50.JPG

Side :-

bta side - day 50.JPG

She is 50cm wide and about 7 cm from the rim of the airpot. Have you seen how many bud sites and nodes she has?????? F***K!

So long as you adhere to the EC advise, and read the plant you cannot go wrong. If the plant starts to yellow that is good. Until that happens NEVER up feed. An over fed girl is much harder to help. In coco - an under fed girl can be helped in minutes! Over feed = lower yield.

Life made simple!

Coco growing is growing by numbers. Simple and effective if you get EC and PH.

Last edited:
So I shouldn't have gotten freaked out when the 3 small girls stalled when I did the first topping. I still think I jumped the gun but now I know. Also know not to freak about them seeming to take a long time.
One odd thing is I just noticed A3 has some leaves that have an iridescent look to them. At first I thought is was some sort of powdery thing but when you get up close and turn them the shimmery thing goes away. Almost like those car paints that change as the light moves around them. Kind of reminds me of that fake frost they put on fake xmas trees. Will try to take some pics tomorrow at feeding time.

So I shouldn't have gotten freaked out when the 3 small girls stalled when I did the first topping. I still think I jumped the gun but now I know. Also know not to freak about them seeming to take a long time.
One odd thing is I just noticed A3 has some leaves that have an iridescent look to them. At first I thought is was some sort of powdery thing but when you get up close and turn them the shimmery thing goes away. Almost like those car paints that change as the light moves around them. Kind of reminds me of that fake frost they put on fake xmas trees. Will try to take some pics tomorrow at feeding time.

fake frosting, aka flocking...jus sayin, cuz we had to have a flocked tree every year at xmas, cuz me had allergiez when me was a tot ;) ok, carry on plz...:biggrin: ppp

fake frosting, aka flocking...jus sayin, cuz we had to have a flocked tree every year at xmas, cuz me had allergiez when me was a tot ;) ok, carry on plz...:biggrin: ppp
Damn, you missed out Brah. I found the sure fire way to a young woman's heart was goin to the woods and getting a fresh cut xmas tree.
winkingsmilie.jpg

Back