New Grower First grow - FastBuds Stardawg

Manbearpig

New and improving
Reaction score
Woo hoo, I'm doing this.

I'm a newbie on a budget and I was lucky enough to win some FastBuds Stardawg seeds from The Vault. Don't have all my equipment yet so some decisions will be made on the fly.

I'm an indoor grower with a relatively low need for discretion (I can legally grow in my jurisdiction with a medical card) and no money. I'm going for as simple a setup as possible that still allows for quality. To that end, here's the plan:

1. Soil grow in Fox Farms Ocean Forest/perlite mix (purchasing this weekend), vessel TBD

2. Going with autos for beginner ease, to avoid city light pollution risk, and because I'm impatient

3. No tent no nothing, I'm sticking my plant near a window, growing under a florescent plant light until the point where that's insufficient, then switching to a 400w HPS (to be purchased). I'll hang some mylar around for reflection.

I put a single seed into some warm water and the little buddy's sitting in front of a warm heater looking happy. It has now sunk to the bottom but I'm going to wait a bit for a root to poke out before transferring.

Wish me luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_170940.jpg
    IMG_20191212_170940.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
Woo hoo, I'm doing this.

I'm a newbie on a budget and I was lucky enough to win some FastBuds Stardawg seeds from The Vault. Don't have all my equipment yet so some decisions will be made on the fly.

I'm an indoor grower with a relatively low need for discretion (I can legally grow in my jurisdiction with a medical card) and no money. I'm going for as simple a setup as possible that still allows for quality. To that end, here's the plan:

1. Soil grow in Fox Farms Ocean Forest/perlite mix (purchasing this weekend), vessel TBD

2. Going with autos for beginner ease, to avoid city light pollution risk, and because I'm impatient

3. No tent no nothing, I'm sticking my plant near a window, growing under a florescent plant light until the point where that's insufficient, then switching to a 400w HPS (to be purchased). I'll hang some mylar around for reflection.

I put a single seed into some warm water and the little buddy's sitting in front of a warm heater looking happy. It has now sunk to the bottom but I'm going to wait a bit for a root to poke out before transferring.

Wish me luck.

heya @Manbearpig and :welcome: to afn! :toke: ur situ soundz strangely similar to me own...especially the "no money" part :coffee: and well, i'll tell u the same as i jus told another new grower not 15 min ago, and that is that if ur impatient, well, u def picked the wrong hobby :rofl: i'd also advize gettin hold of some nutez & a good ph pen at the least ;) in the meantime, it'z a most helpful commune here, so anything u need, jus give a holler :thumbsup:

ppp & :goodluck:

:420::baked:

welcome pal:toke:,,,you started out on the right path,,keeping it simple :thumbsup:

Overnight in front of the space heater worked well. I didn't file the tip or otherwise prepare the seed, just dropped it in water and kept the temp warm.

The popped seed, with taproot visible but not out of its casing yet, went into some old recycled potting soil used for an old houseplant in the same small earthenware cup. It's back in front of a space heater on my living room seat.

Seeds have enough nutrients to get a seedling going on their own; seems like fortified soil could only do harm.

Beginners, you want a painstaking step by step? Granularity is where I'm at.

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_122914.jpg
    IMG_20191213_122914.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
Well, I f'd it up already. Impatient to see whether the seedling was about to emerge, I gently disturbed the soil and ended up destroying it. Back to the drawing board. I've got a new seed in water.

Fellow newbies, don't be me.

Well, I f'd it up already. Impatient to see whether the seedling was about to emerge, I gently disturbed the soil and ended up destroying it. Back to the drawing board. I've got a new seed in water.

Fellow newbies, don't be me.

can't say me didn't warn ya bout havin p a t i e n c e, hehe :coffee: ppp

Slow down and take ur time. It really is as simple as some good dirt....some light and water.
If you will get out of natures way....you will have some smoke in about 10 weeks.
Good luck !

Back in business and using the paper towel method this time. I soaked the seed in water yesterday. The small space heater should keep it warm.

As it happens, I'm right around the corner from a hydro store, which gives me more options without the shipping costs. There's some special soil I might be talked into (still on the fence) and I'll be going with fabric pots when ready.

Try, try again.

Attachments

• IMG_20191217_123406.jpg
    IMG_20191217_123406.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Stardawg is now sitting in a 5 gallon fabric pot and I decided to plant her a friend. I soaked the second seed a bit before planting it directly in the soil. I'm not going to bother it.

I went with Nectar #4 soil instead of FF on the advice of the hydro store staff. It was about five or so dollars more for 1.5 c ft. The store pays extra to shield the pallet from rain for the Nectar and reduced potential for bugs seems worth it.

The second seed is a promo from The Vault, Bruce Banner #3 Auto from The Original Sensible Seeds. The two have similar flowering times so I think they'll be good pals.

The pots will go by a sunny window tonight on a heated shelf. Thanks for the feedback, all.

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_183110.jpg
    IMG_20191218_183110.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Back