New Grower First Grow Blueberry DWC

Reaction score
This is the belated beginning of my grow journal. I was recruited by my wife to "help" her grow her meds. I enjoy growing things, but had never done more inside than just starting peppers and tomatoes. After doing a little research I decided on building a DWC system.

Tent: Being somewhat limited on space I ended up going with a 2x4 tent. HIndsight being 20/20 I should have found a way to make enough room for a 4x4 tent. Just one thing on the list of stuff I would have done differently. Well one of the issues with the 2x4 tents that I found were the fact that they are shorter than the 4x4 tents. The tent is only 59 inches tall (150cm). I got really nervous on having enough height after figuring out how much i would lose do to the lights and hangers, 14" for the bucket, and trying to keep the lights a minimum distance from the plants. So i made a wooden stand for the tent to sit on and cut 3 holes in the bottom of it so that the buckets sit on the ground and the collars on the buckets sit flush with the bottom of the tent. Saved me 11 inches of head room.

DWC: The DWC system I ended up making consists of three 5 gallon buckets connected together that the plants are in, and a 4th bucket that sits outside the tent that is connected to the end buckets. This reservoir bucket lets me check the PH and PPM, add water/nutes, etc without moving the plants. Also in the reservoir bucket is a small flow rate pump to gently circulate/mix the nute solution between all the buckets.

Lights: Two 1000 watt KingLED. Cheap made in China from Amazon. Would have looked at building my own if I had it to do over, but for the price they really seem to be doing just fine. I think two lights were overkill but I was worried about the foot print. And the price difference between the 600w and the 1000w was small so I figured bigger was better.

Seeds: Blueberry from Growers Choice Seeds. Wish I had known about some of the other suppliers like Mephisto before I bought a year’s worth of seeds from GCS. I have read some people complain about them on here but I don’t have much to complain about. They shipped quickly. I received everything that I ordered. 3 for 3 on germination at this point. Only one little issue but you will see that soon enough.

Nutes: General Hydroponics Flora trio series.

Pictures to follow, I hope.

So these were all supposed to be the same, but it's obvious to even a noob like me that the one in the middle is clearly different. The two on the ends at much more compact/bushy.

The one in the middle is day 36 since the seed broke the surface. The two on the ends are 1-3 days younger.

day 36 pic 1.jpg
day 36 pic 2.jpg
day 36 pic 3.jpg

I feel almost everything in this journal so far lol. My 1st round of seeds were from seedsman, took 6.5 weeks to arrive.
Ive just recently started a round with mephisto beans and im checking out some other beans recommended here in afn.
Now im not saying those plants arent different strains but it could just be different phenos of the same strain. Who knows, but uts not uncommon for there to be multiple phenos from the same strain.
Anywho, good luck yo and ill tagalong!

Looking superb man! Very well done, especially for a first grow, those are looking healthy as anything!!

Back