New Grower FIRST GROW - Afghan Kush Ryder and Northern Lights Automatic

Wienerwoods

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I originally started writing this grow journal on Rollitup but I feel this is a more suitable place for it since I am only growing autos now and in the foreseeable future. Therefore I am going to 'reconstruct' the grow here. Hopefully that's okay. The content will be almost identical so what ends up there can also be read here and vice versa. All advice is greatly appreciated!

A little introduction
I've never smoked, grown or even seen a cannabis plant in person, but I've always been fascinated with the herb. The event that really set all of this in motion was a trip to Spain, where I stumbled upon a grow shop. Having never seen one before I thought they only sold some equipment for cannabis cultivation. Anything more and it would be illegal, right?

As I soon found out after venturing in, there were indeed real seeds for sale. This discovery lead to me buying about $70 worth of seeds. I was not in any way familiar with growing but I was determined to learn. The seeds never crossed the border but my determination did.

After much planning I finally ordered the seeds I had deemed the best for my circumstances on the 22nd of April. Attitude were having a 420 promotion at the time so I went a little crazy and bought 'a bit' more seeds than I was planning to use.

The plan
At this point I am determined on growing two plants outdoors in the woods. I'm 17 and going to be living in my parents' house in the summer so indoors is not really an option. There are a lot of problems along the way and the biggest one is that I worry way too much. Fortunately I have a great friend as a partner. The grow site has been carefully selected and we've acquired everything we need to start off.
The entire grow will be happening in 11 liter pots filled with BioBizz LightMix. Because the temperature outside is still very low with serious fluctuations at night the plants have to be kept inside for a couple of weeks until they start to smell. They will get plenty of natural light by the south-facing window but I'm still a little worried about stretching. That's why I've obtained a big-ass oscillating fan which I'm using from the get go. Hopefully it'll help minimize stretching as well as make the stems nice and strong.

The strains we'll be growing are Afghan Kush Ryder from World of Seeds and Northern Lights Automatic from Sensi Seeds

NL & AKR.jpg

GERMINATION

I germinated the seeds using a kit that I purchased in Spain for 1€. My understanding is that the yellow stuff is some kind of a mix of special bacteria and/or fungi (or fungicide). I hadn't heard of anyone using stuff like this so I had grown a little skeptical. Of course I gave it a shot despite all that.

DSC_1907.jpg

For warmth I used an old wireless router which, according to the grow shop guy is ideal for the job.

G2.jpg

The Northern Lights Automatic had germinated in a whopping 21 hours! I went ahead and planted it. The AKR (in the picture) germed about 4 hours after the NL. I didn't feel the need to wait for the taproot to grow any longer so I planted it. The NL had a longer root at the time of planting but I believe they will both turn out just fine.

DSC_1911.jpg

I got really nervous after planting the seeds. Reason being that I had planted the seeds an inch deep and poured water on them once in soil. I thought I had drowned them. I got so anxious that I took a pair of tweezers and gently removed some soil from on top of the seeds, accidentally exposing the AKR for a moment. I buried the seed as gently as I could and promised myself I'd wait a full week until I would do anything like that again. I threw some plastic wrap on the pots and seemingly it was only then that stuff started happening.
I woke up the next morning to find that the Northern Lights had emerged. I was relieved as fuck.

DSC_1916.jpg

The Afghan Kush Ryder has yet to sprout for all I know. I'm out of town studying at the moment so I won't see my girls until Friday. However my friend will back me up by checking up on them and watering them so it's all good.

Last edited:
There are definitely some haters on RIU that go out of their way to come into the auto flowering sub-forum and trash people...

Much better vibe here. :)

Nice Intro! & Welcome!

Welcome! Your now in a better place bro!!! Lol

Welcome bro! Always a good vibe here :) enjoy your first grow, it's an exciting time lol I'm still fascinated by the canna plant she is unique! Good luck

:welcome: Hope your girls are all you ever dreamed and more Woops

What a great reception! Appreciate it guys!

Aweosme first choices. AKR makes some amazing bud. Curious to hear about how the NL turns out as well.

That's the third time I've seen the Wifi router trick this week :)

Good luck. Subbed in!

Back