Grow Mediums First Coco Grow Advice

Reaction score
Hi Team Autoflower!

I'm moving on from soil to a coco WILMA set up. Would love if anyone could look over my steps and see if I should make any changes.

Grow Tent: 100x100x140
Lights: SpyderFarmer 800W LED Panel (might need more lights, huge upgrade from soil grow). will do an 18/6 or 20/4, not sure.
WILMA L 4x 18L Pots (recirculation or drip to waste?)

Will hydrate the coco brick with water, fill bottom layer with hydroton, coco, then cover with hydroton again (to stop evaporation)
Germinate seeds in rockwool, then when rootmass is achieved, place into pots. (will hydrate coco coir again with root hormone + calmag + nutes before rockwool goes in)

Feed with 1/4 or 1/2 strength, 1-2x a day to keep coco hydrated (18L pots, so worried about # of water required, might only fill up to 15L?)
Make sure pH is 5.7-6.1 of both input and output

Is there anything else I should be worried/concerned about? Only have 2 successful grows under my belt with soil.
Is an air stone in the res necessary? Will I need to maintain water temps? (have a humidifier, but no heater or cooler yet).

Thanks for anyone that can help out!

Buffer your coco with cal mag at proper ph before you sow your seeds......i even add light nutes to pot before hand

and check out cocoforcannabis site it will up your game.

Keep res temps around 20-24 Celcius. 100 litre res is enough for about 5 days for 4 plants in flower. Run off is critical. Make sure you are getting at least 15 percent run off every time you water after the first 2 weeks.

Keep res temps around 20-24 Celcius. 100 litre res is enough for about 5 days for 4 plants in flower. Run off is critical. Make sure you are getting at least 15 percent run off every time you water after the first 2 weeks.

Any concerns with recirculating feed? I'll still most likely change the res once a week or every two weeks?

You probably could but I wouldn't. Coco is best for DTW. If you want to run recirc why not go for clay pebbles?

You probably could but I wouldn't. Coco is best for DTW. If you want to run recirc why not go for clay pebbles?

Hey Autofire, thanks for the response. Currently if I go with coco:
- Fill Res with weekly nutrients, 7x feedings ( a week ) -> then I have to drain the res and refill with next week's nutes?

If I go with hydroton/clay pebbles
- Fill Res with weekly nutrients, test res when I need to refill, and just refill with appropriate ratio of new nutes?

Sorry, a bit confused. Will probably go with coco this grow and try clay pebbles next. Thanks for clarifying

Hey Autofire, thanks for the response. Currently if I go with coco:
- Fill Res with weekly nutrients, 7x feedings ( a week ) -> then I have to drain the res and refill with next week's nutes?

If I go with hydroton/clay pebbles
- Fill Res with weekly nutrients, test res when I need to refill, and just refill with appropriate ratio of new nutes?

Sorry, a bit confused. Will probably go with coco this grow and try clay pebbles next. Thanks for clarifying
How often you refill the res will depend on how big the res is and how much the plants are drinking.

Running a DTW with coco is a tried and tested method used by many. You can go the recirc route if you really want to but I'm not sure what the point would be.

As yet I've only run Coco DTW so I can really help with anything recirc related mate but there's others on here who can.

Any reason you want to run your Coco on recirc instead of DTW?

How often you refill the res will depend on how big the res is and how much the plants are drinking.

Running a DTW with coco is a tried and tested method used by many. You can go the recirc route if you really want to but I'm not sure what the point would be.

As yet I've only run Coco DTW so I can really help with anything recirc related mate but there's others on here who can.

Any reason you want to run your Coco on recirc instead of DTW?

I bought the WIlma 4 L system and its a recirc system. Could try to modify it for DTW but im a DIY newb

Back