Grow Mediums Everything you need to know about nutrient chillers

IndicaIVoz

Deep Water Toker
Reaction score
Hi there Everyone! ;) The next step in my journey is at hand in the dialling in process this is the part where i decide i no longer want to run without a chiller..ever. not because I havnt had my fair share of issues but because i want to dial in my grows properly practically throw all my h2o2 (except for an emergency stash) in the bin and go full Bennies. And also simply for some peace of mind that though-out the day my nutrient water is at the desired temps.
So.. I'm researching chillers so here's a little thread i wanted to share and add to with other info I gather from various sources across the interweb, with you guys just on chillers alone this isn't a Pythium thread or whatever just a straight up chiller thread for those who have already decided they want one and what to do next..;) Enjoy!!!! :D

The heat of the summer typically has growers searching for the latest and greatest extractor fans and air circulators but it's not just ambient temperatures you need to keep a close eye on. Conditions in your nutrient solution are equally as important as conditions in the atmosphere, with hotter feeds containing less oxygen than those at the right level. For hydroponics set ups, using a nutrient chiller will help ensure your plants remain happy and able to grow to their full potential. Find out which model is right for you...

Nutrient-Chiller-target-web.jpg
The problem with ignoring the heat is that the consequential warm water contains less dissolved oxygen than a cooler form, leading to poor root growth and functionality as well as increased risk of root diseases - e.g. pythium.

Frequently irrigated hydroponics systems like Bubblers/DWC, NFT and Flood and Drain will greatly benefit from close control of nutrient solution temperatures, since the roots are most susceptible in these particular types of set ups.

systems-web.jpg

Basic Nutrient Chiller Usage Guidelines

Wherever and whenever possible, you should position your Nutrient Chiller outside of the grow room/grow tent. Remember, each unit is basically a mini-refrigerator so expect a little heat to be generated (externally, obviously!) from the parts that are working hard to provide the cooling effect.

Correctly spec the Nutrient Chiller for the volume of water being treated. Indeed rather than selecting a model that will only just accommodate your cooling needs, go for one clearly capable of dealing with the amount of water you intend to use. After all - the bigger the chiller, the less time is required to reach the target temperature.

nutrient-chiller-web.jpg
Also, correctly spec the water pump to feed the Nutrient Chiller - the rate of water flow through the unit is important.
Use 13mm pipe work (Flexi-Pipe or Iceline Pipe) and a 13mm inline filter on the water feed line to remove any particles or debris.

Iceline-web.jpg
Make sure you try and clean the Nutrient Chiller after every crop!

Setting Up A Nutrient Chiller With A Flat Tank (NFT)

This example involves the use of a Hailea HC-100A Nutrient Chiller for cooling the nutrient solution in a NFT Gro-Tank 424.

room-web.jpg

1.) Place the Nutrient Chiller in a well-ventilated area – ideally outside of the actual grow room. The unit needs to sit above the height of the tank, so raise it with a small stand or platform if necessary.

2.) Locate an MJ1000 Maxi-Jet Pump or Idra 400 Pump at the end of the tank that is nearest to where you have positioned the Nutrient Chiller. Push down on the top of the pump to attach it to the base of the tank.

3.) Take a piece of 13mm Flexi-Pipe or Iceline Pipe (latter recommended for extra help keeping temperatures down) and run it from the outlet of the MJ1000 Maxi-Jet Pump to the inlet of the Nutrient Chiller.

4.) Take another piece of 13mm Flexi-Pipe or Iceline Pipe and run it from the outlet of the Nutrient Chiller to the furthest away end of your tank. For the chiller to work properly, the open part of the pipe must remain submerged in the nutrient solution.

5.) Sit a MiMouse 30 Pump at the opposite end of the tank to the MJ1000 Maxi-Jet Pump and run this to stir the nutrient solution.

Using a Nutrient Chiller With A DWC System

If you’re using one or more DWC system where there is water in it/them for long periods of time, especially when plants are small, the bucket(s) will be subjected to a lot of radiated heat.
Oxy-Dripper-System-web.jpg

The temperature needs to be set a few degrees lower than the required system temperature. Always go for a size of Nutrient Chiller that is easily capable of managing the volume of water you are trying to cool.

bubbler-web.jpg
Alternatively set the HC100 temperature much lower than required to compensate for the rapid increase in temperatures. Note: using this method is very difficult to get right, takes longer to chill the water and becomes more and more difficult as the holding volume of water in the reservoir diminishes.

Cleaning A Nutrient Chiller

It is very important to remove mineral deposits and lime scale from your Nutrient Chiller. We have found the following method to be the best:

1.) Fill the Nutrient Chiller with clear pickling vinegar

2.) Leave for 24 hours

3.) Flush with water

As always ,criticisms are welcome and please feel free to add to this information. Enjoy :D

TY!! @Grim Reefer :) to get started i just want to joining 4 rez's together and chill them..what would you say is the best way to do this in my bud box tent? should i place a header res do you think outside the tent or should i connect all 4 rez straight to chiller with no header? and place chiller outside the tent ? thanks bro ;)

Back