Harvest & Curing Drying in cardboard box with paper bags?

MrAutoGrower

Learning as I grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
3Wok OG
Right lads so I was thinking of cutting buds from the branches today and layering a cardboard box with brown paper bags (a fairly long / wide box), and just placing the chopped off buds into the box on top of the bags and closing / sealing the cardboard box up.

Has anyone else tried this? I think for me it would be a little easier doing this but not sure if it will absorb the moisture efficiently enough. I plan on chopping a full plant into it instead of having quite a lot of brown paper bags to store them in.

Thoughts plz :smoking:

Right lads so I was thinking of cutting buds from the branches today and layering a cardboard box with brown paper bags (a fairly long / wide box), and just placing the chopped off buds into the box on top of the bags and closing / sealing the cardboard box up.

Has anyone else tried this? I think for me it would be a little easier doing this but not sure if it will absorb the moisture efficiently enough. I plan on chopping a full plant into it instead of having quite a lot of brown paper bags to store them in.

Thoughts plz :smoking:

I've done it, but still recommend chopping into golf ball sized nuggets first. Give the box a little shuffle every day so the buds arent trying to dry on top of each other.

Paper bags (although more effort) is probably better. When I jar them up from paper bags, sometimes the day later they've rehydrated a little. If i cant be bothered to get all the bags out again, I'll throw the buds in a box (as you're descrbing - a brown cardboard one thats not shiny)

I've done it, but still recommend chopping into golf ball sized nuggets first. Give the box a little shuffle every day so the buds arent trying to dry on top of each other.

Paper bags (although more effort) is probably better. When I jar them up from paper bags, sometimes the day later they've rehydrated a little. If i cant be bothered to get all the bags out again, I'll throw the buds in a box (as you're descrbing - a brown cardboard one thats not shiny)
Nailed it brother! This is how I had it planned out. Wonder if they will dry faster but not so sure. Suppose I’ll give it a try! Thanks as always @blue :cheers:

I made a WildBill's Canna Drying Box from the box my Earthboxes came in. I can dry a whole plant up right or in paper bags on a clothes rack put in the box. When not drying whole, I just trim the fans and most times the sugar leaves and leave them on the stems and place one later in the bag and clip to the rack. The rack then goes in the box. Quickest dry had been 10 days, most are 14+ days.

Reactions: JP1
I have found that placing a brown paper bag of buds in a cardboard box is counter productive.
The moisture can't escape from the bag due to there being no airflow in the box.

I have found that placing a brown paper bag of buds in a cardboard box is counter productive.
The moisture can't escape from the bag due to there being no airflow in the box.
It does make for a nice slow dry. 14 day dry is what most people shoot for. The moisture from the paper bags is absorbed by the box cardboard. I've got several 14-17 day drys, trying to hit the ideal 60*F and 60% Rh.

Never heard of 14-17 days to dry. Mine takes 4-5 days

Me too, usually 3 to 5 days hanging, then branches in the bags for 2/3 days, then just buds with hygrometer for 3/4 days, if that long.

14 day is what I've been told for many years. I would be mad AF if I could only get 4 days.
A slow dry will make quite a bit of difference in taste, just in smokeable canna. It makes a lot more difference in the cure.

14 day is what I've been told for many years. I would be mad AF if I could only get 4 days.
A slow dry will make quite a bit of difference in taste, just in smokeable canna. It makes a lot more difference in the cure.
Last time I let em go long in bags they got down to about 30%.....fun time rehydrating them...

Back