New Grower Drilling drainage holes in pots

I did mine with a hole saw. 2" bit and added as many as I could fit in the bucket. Surprised that all the soil stayed put. Air pots rock but they are sort a notch when in tight places. Seems like they always get hung up on each other

whoa man 2" sounds big. I also thought about holes of that size so I have a question: if I were to drill holes that big, would it be recommended to put mosquito net on the bottom so the soil stays put and drainage is still possible?

whoa man 2" sounds big. I also thought about holes of that size so I have a question: if I were to drill holes that big, would it be recommended to put mosquito net on the bottom so the soil stays put and drainage is still possible?
When I went that size I put a bag inside but anything around an inch you don't need anything. I did find hydrogalaxy sells air pots pretty cheap. I think the 5gallon ones were 10$ each and 7 gallon were 14 each and that's shipped. Locally they are cheaper but not everyone has that option.

El Cheapo Airpot.jpg DollarStoreBasket.jpg I bought these little baskets at the Dollar Store..for a dollar each, holes already drilled. I wrapped them with landscape fabric to make a cheap air pot. I start my seeds in them and when it's time to transplant into the ground, I just remove the fabric and drop them in.

Attachments

• DollarStoreBasket.jpg
    DollarStoreBasket.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 87
How long does it take to drill one pot? I will have about 50 of them so I dont want to end up drilling all day long. Btw it looks like an airpot :D
Stack them inside each other to save time

Honestly, it doesn't make that much of a difference. Aaaand now i've got a target on my back.

Seriously tho, these plants grow and die fast enough to not develop any girdling issues and air pruning can be beneficial but also has it's drawbacks. The mass you build with additional root ramification you pay for with extra feed down the drain through the holes.

But for transplanting and starting net pots can be quite useful. Try this: Start a plant in a 1quart(liter) netpot, make sure it's well ventilated and gets light so the root tips can desiccate and/or catch some rays. Then a good week(autoflower) or two(photos) before your strain goes into stretch you transplant it into a bigger pot.. with the netpot. Just drop the whole thing in there.
Do that side by side with a plant you dropped into the big pot right away. Ideally a clone. And compare their development from here on out..

Back