Lighting DIY led build using Bridgelux EB strips

You could bridge the width with more angle aluminum. I put my strips in 80/20 extrusion. It's beautiful stuff.
image.jpg

Wow that looks really nice. For long term I think that would be the way to go but for now i just need to dodgy this together so I got a light ready for Sep mephisto grow lol. I could probably just do the width with some angle also and hope it would sturdy it up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That would do it. Pop Rivets or self tapping screws.

That would do it. Pop Rivets or self tapping screws.
That 8/20 stuff has got me excited I'd never heard of that before, so you just slide the led strips into the aluminium profile? And it's basically like connecting them all together? Seems like pretty cool stuff I could make a nice frame out of it.

80/20 is some pretty dope stuff. Check out the projects on their site, if you can build a go cart outta the stuff, you can build anything. They'll do custom cutting and parts so the sky is the limit. I made my second diy fixture out of it after making my first out of aluminum angle. A couple of things I found:

- In my case, the 8020 parts costs weren't that much higher than the cost of the aluminum. Although my angle stock was sourced at a hardware store in a city so it was overpriced. The cost of 8020 is worth it IMO
- Check their ebay site. They sell off lots at good prices, if you've got the chop saw and/or tools you can customize the stuff yourself (no space or tools for me)
-OH, and don't forget to factor the weight in. I had to place some larger hooks in my cab. to support the weight of the 8020.

Oh, and there are kits you can order and just screw together from some of the DIY lighting sites (not sure about sponsor posts/must read those rules). Easy peasy

80/20 is some pretty dope stuff. Check out the projects on their site, if you can build a go cart outta the stuff, you can build anything. They'll do custom cutting and parts so the sky is the limit. I made my second diy fixture out of it after making my first out of aluminum angle. A couple of things I found:

- In my case, the 8020 parts costs weren't that much higher than the cost of the aluminum. Although my angle stock was sourced at a hardware store in a city so it was overpriced. The cost of 8020 is worth it IMO
- Check their ebay site. They sell off lots at good prices, if you've got the chop saw and/or tools you can customize the stuff yourself (no space or tools for me)
-OH, and don't forget to factor the weight in. I had to place some larger hooks in my cab. to support the weight of the 8020.

Oh, and there are kits you can order and just screw together from some of the DIY lighting sites (not sure about sponsor posts/must read those rules). Easy peasy
yeah it looks awesome i'd seen it before when looking into building a DIY sim racing cockpit lol but never knew it was basically like mecano for adults!

@lowgrowshow max rep for the info. All things floating in my brain when I was reading the prior post. 80/20 is definitely more expensive if you have a box store close by. This frame above cost around 150 dollars after all the hardware. 3-8' lengths, hidden corners and hardware to attach. As you mentioned the weight which for me required additional surface mounted brackets to support itself. I also got the cover strips that hide the wires and another expense was the brackets that attach the cobs. I paid $8 for each, from a "friend" who runs a Cnc. I think cutter electronics sells brackets for 80/20 that allow you to adjust the cobs and angle them.

yeah it looks awesome i'd seen it before when looking into building a DIY sim racing cockpit lol but never knew it was basically like mecano for adults!

I met a guy on another forum who posted a picture of his sims cockpit. Similar to this and all made With 80/20
IMG_3343.JPG

Thanks for the pics definitely given me some inspiration.
and yeah I've dreamed of building a cockpit like that with full motion for years, ended up just building a dodgy one out of pvc but it's done the trick lol.

Back