DIY DIY Automated Burping / Curing System - Derek Gilman style

Reaction score
Hey guys heres a video out that Derek Gilman made, super interesting system he has for Automated curing :

His rig is with 5 gallon gamma lid buckets, and he loads about 2 pounds in each one. The way the system works is you put your dried bud in the buckets, and you hook up an air pump to the buckets, on a timer. ***I got a diff timer than from the pic I posted, the pic is of my V1 build***, now I have a digital one that I have set to turn on at 8am for 5 mins, and at 8pm for 3 mins. (The timer kicks on the pump, pushing air through the buckets, and auto shuts off). You install little valve outlets on the container and they exhaust out the old the air when the pump comes on, and then seal back up when it shuts off.
Being a micro grower who grows autos that yield ~100g, at about 179 grams a gallon I would be nowhere close to filling a 5 gallon gamma lid bucket. Gamma lids also make a 2 gallon bucket, but even at 2 gallons I'm still a bit short per plant...I'd need about 250g to make that 2 gallon work the best.

So, I went to the store and found 1 gallon airtight food containers and it works! I was able to fit a Seedsman Zkittlez Auto I just got finished drying/trimming and ready for cure. I now have three of these built, auto curing zkittlez, cream cookies, and cbd northern lights all autos

The system I built is:
- Aquarium Air pump, ideally with a built in manifold so you can hook up multiple containers: (NON AFFILIATE LINKS!) Amazon product
- Air line Amazon product
- Check Valves: Amazon product
- 3/16" Drill bit
- 1 Gallon airtight food storage container https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-Flip-Tite-Square-Food-Container-16-Cups/370961661
- Digital Timer with second/minute increments: Amazon product

I noticed that the pressure was a little too high when I had only one check valve as the outlet and it was causing the lid to pop up, so I added two more exhaust valves. If you are growing in DWC, you're most likely yielding more than I do with my auto plants in coco, so you'd prolly be able to just use the 2 gallon gamma buckets, which should hold about 1/2-3/4 pound. https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Black...keywords=2+gallon+gamma&qid=1574473805&sr=8-5

My opinion:
- I'm not using boveda's yet...my material has been auto burped/curing for a week and is an amazing consistency, flavor/smell is weak though which I'm hoping will return soon in about 1-2 more weeks

ucy4lfw1cc041.jpg

My i
Hey guys heres a video out that Derek Gilman made, super interesting system he has for Automated curing :

His rig is with 5 gallon gamma lid buckets, and he loads about 2 pounds in each one. The way the system works is you put your dried bud in the buckets, and you hook up an air pump to the buckets, on a timer. ***I got a diff timer than from the pic I posted, the pic is of my V1 build***, now I have a digital one that I have set to turn on at 8am for 5 mins, and at 8pm for 3 mins. (The timer kicks on the pump, pushing air through the buckets, and auto shuts off). You install little valve outlets on the container and they exhaust out the old the air when the pump comes on, and then seal back up when it shuts off.
Being a micro grower who grows autos that yield ~100g, at about 179 grams a gallon I would be nowhere close to filling a 5 gallon gamma lid bucket. Gamma lids also make a 2 gallon bucket, but even at 2 gallons I'm still a bit short per plant...I'd need about 250g to make that 2 gallon work the best.

So, I went to the store and found 1 gallon airtight food containers and it works! I was able to fit a Seedsman Zkittlez Auto I just got finished drying/trimming and ready for cure. I now have three of these built, auto curing zkittlez, cream cookies, and cbd northern lights all autos

The system I built is:
- Aquarium Air pump, ideally with a built in manifold so you can hook up multiple containers: (NON AFFILIATE LINKS!) Amazon product
- 3/16" Drill bit
- 1 Gallon airtight food storage container https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-Gardens-Flip-Tite-Square-Food-Container-16-Cups/370961661

I noticed that the pressure was a little too high when I had only one check valve as the outlet and it was causing the lid to pop up, so I added two more exhaust valves. If you are growing in DWC, you're most likely yielding more than I do with my auto plants in coco, so you'd prolly be able to just use the 2 gallon gamma buckets, which should hold about 1/2-3/4 pound. https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Black...keywords=2+gallon+gamma&qid=1574473805&sr=8-5

My opinion:
- I'm not using boveda's yet...my material has been auto burped/curing for a week and is an amazing consistency, flavor/smell is weak though which I'm hoping will return soon in about 1-2 more weeks

.View attachment 1132874

I use 5 gallon buckets to hold several pounds at a time that I could from a bakery for a $1 each. They are food grade and sealed like gamma buckets. Bakeries usually have 5 and 3 gallon buckets.

Thanks for this

My i

I use 5 gallon buckets to hold several pounds at a time that I could from a bakery for a $1 each. They are food grade and sealed like gamma buckets. Bakeries usually have 5 and 3 gallon buckets.

Thanks for this
I was

The system I built is:
- 3/16" Drill bit

My opinion:

Great setup and I am probably going to order the same containers. I was thinking 2 gal would be ok but after reading your post I'll go to 1 gal containers.
Is there any disadvantage to the containers being clear?

I was

Great setup and I am probably going to order the same containers. I was thinking 2 gal would be ok but after reading your post I'll go to 1 gal containers.
Is there any disadvantage to the containers being clear?

My buckets are white, I prefer to leave them in my closet since it remains dark/cold all year. I believe the terpenes can be degraded by light.

I was thinking this would be great in a climate controlled environment of maybe 60f/60rh and just purge them every 3 days or so. The intake air would always be the near perfect conditions for cured bud and rh meters could be placed inside for more precision.

@dubcream how much fits in each one of those?

I know I'm a little late to the dance but this is awesome! Add a smart plug or smart outlet and it gets even better!

The system I built is:
- 3/16" Drill bit

My opinion:

.View attachment 1132874

Finally!!!!! Thanks for this. Poppin 12 jars 2x a day is getting to be a bit much. This is genius!

Back