DE in the buds

Reaction score
So I have this buds that I had contaminated with Diatomaceous Earth, I apply it in early flower but I think I did too much because I had crazy mites spreading fast. Had it on the the plants for a couple of days than I gave them a good shower bath but I never got rid of all of it for sure since it is such a fine powder, I can’t visualize it but I know it’s there and I know I can’t smoke it anymore but can I use it only make cookies or tea since they say this stuff is safe to eat, you just cant inhale it. What do you think? Can I use a bong or a vape or is that too risky. It’s a lot of weed to trow away, 2 big ass plants full of bud. Tell me your best judgment ✌✌

So I have this buds that I had contaminated with Diatomaceous Earth, I apply it in early flower but I think I did too much because I had crazy mites spreading fast. Had it on the the plants for a couple of days than I gave them a good shower bath but I never got rid of all of it for sure since it is such a fine powder, I can’t visualize it but I know it’s there and I know I can’t smoke it anymore but can I use it only make cookies or tea since they say this stuff is safe to eat, you just cant inhale it. What do you think? Can I use a bong or a vape or is that too risky. It’s a lot of weed to trow away, 2 big ass plants full of bud. Tell me your best judgment ✌✌
If it’s food safe, then you can certainly use the flowers for edibles, anyway you see fit.

As for smoking, I wouldn’t, personally. You don’t want to chance inhaling the DE…

If you’re going to insist on trying to smoke it….. look up a bud washing procedure….and do that after harvesting, before drying. It will be the best you can do to clean them….but I won’t say it will be 100% effective…. There’s just no way to be sure, really. :pass:

In the future have captain jacks dead bug brew with spinosad on hand to deal with bugs on the plant, and leave the DE for the surface of the dirt….

If it’s food safe, then you can certainly use the flowers for edibles, anyway you see fit.

As for smoking, I wouldn’t, personally. You don’t want to chance inhaling the DE…

If you’re going to insist on trying to smoke it….. look up a bud washing procedure….and do that after harvesting, before drying. It will be the best you can do to clean them….but I won’t say it will be 100% effective…. There’s just no way to be sure, really. :pass:

In the future have captain jacks dead bug brew with spinosad on hand to deal with bugs on the plant, and leave the DE for the surface of the dirt….

Thank you for your answer!

From the DE wiki page..

1720023214643.png

I presume any product labeled/sold as a diatomaceous earth powder pesticide is pure enough to be 'food grade' or equivalent. DE is a GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) food additive (in the US). Some people outright eat it for claimed health benefits. Ingesting the trivial amount of DE that might remain in the buds is not a problem. Don't inhale (smoke or vape) the buds.

The same advice also applies to perlite - don't inhale the dust, but otherwise non-toxic, inert to handle, etc.

Food grade DE is from different shells and has less "heavy metals"
With the quartz/SiO2 of the DE being inert and structurally strong, I presume any DE particles will simply pass through the system, be totally insoluble (with eating DE used by some to abrade/clean their intestinal tract) and not leach any substances.

But if your pesticide labeling (may have to get this online) has any warnings about toxicity due to leachates, obviously heed these.

I wouldn't risk inhaling the dust. It is insoluble and very abrasive.

As a pesticide it works by scratching holes into the tough exoskeletons of insects....what would that do to your lungs?

Personally I would make a well filtered solvent extract, and eat or Inhale that.

As a pesticide it works by scratching holes into the tough exoskeletons of insects....
Main action of dry DE application is that it kills insect by absorbing all the oils and moisture in them.

I would make an ethanol extract, filter it with a fine vacuum filter, and use that either for edibles, tincture, or, after acohol evaporation/recovery, vaping. Fine filtration will retain the DE. :pighug:

Or, if you are really worried about the stuff, you could send it to me, and I will dispose of it safely. If the strain is interesting... :crying::rofl:

Back