Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find ironic about it, Is that I'm not a "cat person". I don't favor any specific animal. But they ALL seem to love me, or find a way into my hands like the baby chipmunk I caught a few weeks back.
Dichoti Doolittle! :crying:

What are your problems with it? It's much better than 8, but not the quality of XP lol
You'd get on great with my hubby, he still uses XP. I'm a 7 girl :thumbsup:

Yeah slackware is challenging... But if you really want to do the ultimate linux geek out, google Gentoo Stage 1

Literally building the OS (and apps) from scratch. It's actually quite good for builds that are going on really old/slow hardware. You can design it with only what is absolutely required to perform the task.
I'll tell hubby to google it tomorrow, thanks for the info. He needs a project because he's doing nothing productive at the moment. Cheers Mike! :cheers:

I'll tell hubby to google it tomorrow, thanks for the info. He needs a project because he's doing nothing productive at the moment. Cheers Mike! :cheers:
You may wish to remove all breakable or sharp objects from the room. Gentoo is not for the feint of heart. It's also not terribly practical these days, but as an exercise in engineering, it's great to see it come together and work. Getting there has caused immeasurable grief world wide.

I can say once you've compiled your first Kernel, you're half way to nerdvana... :rofl:

Kidding aside... Gentoo has some interesting lore. It is favored among criminals and spies, primarily because of just how much control you have over how it is built. You can inspect every byte of the source code that goes into making your system. While you can do that with any linux distribution, the really cautious will not trust ANY pre-compiled binary. The argument is that without downloading and compiling the source code yourself anyway, you have no way to know definitively if the binary you downloaded was really compiled from the source you have access to. So why not just skip the binary download completely.

I've built a few Gentoo systems... Dozens, probably. Every time, I do it just to go through the process and experiment with how to add specific abilities while the system remains free of anything not necessary to do the job. Getting into the kernel configuration and build is probably the most challenging and rewarding part. That's the part where you are literally building an operating system.

Anyway, because of its presumed favor among criminals it carries a bit of a bad reputation. Which is of course ridiculous. The argument generally runs along the lines of the tired old "if you don't have anything to hide, why focus so strongly on security?" Which, again, is just ridiculous.

damn bro!, munchies kicking in and I haven't even vaped yet!
Man I had 3/4 of the pie and still got the munchies. Better go for run tomorrow or I going be a fat bastard.
:pass:
fat bastard.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back