Status
Not open for further replies.

Excellent version!!

Hey skell! Great choice! Here's one for you if you can find a copy.......I don't have one[wish I did]but I have heard it a few times.....it's a jam after the late set at Fillmore East with the Allman Brothers and the GD......this is some of the finest guitar playing I have ever heard.....if you find a copy, grab it!! I think it was 68 or 69.

Good idea! With the resurgence of vinyl, who a thunk it? probably be worth a pretty penny!
An interesting point about vinyl records is their longevity. If left completely untouched, it will last longer than life on the planet. I have a hard time believing that a factory pressed CD will not degrade eventually. Magnetic media eventually gets destroyed by background radiation and any stray EM. Flash media will also eventually degrade.

A record is a single piece of one material.

The best part? The mechanism for playback is considered intuitive enough that included on the Voyager probe was a recording created using the same technique to press a vinyl record.

The voyager record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record

This is a present from a small, distant world, a token of our sounds, our science, our images, our music, our thoughts and our feelings. We are attempting to survive our time so we may live into yours.

— President Jimmy Carter

An interesting point about vinyl records is their longevity. If left completely untouched, it will last longer than life on the planet. I have a hard time believing that a factory pressed CD will not degrade eventually. Magnetic media eventually gets destroyed by background radiation and any stray EM. Flash media will also eventually degrade.

A record is a single piece of one material.

The best part? The mechanism for playback is considered intuitive enough that included on the Voyager probe was a recording created using the same technique to press a vinyl record.
Hi MIke! I agree with you completely. Also, I firmly believe the sound reproduction on vinyl is far superior to digital methods. I have a couple of records where I also have have the CDs......the digital version sounds dull and depthless compared to the record. One is an old Genesis Live LP that is so much better on vinyl that it is hard to believe!

Hi MIke! I agree with you completely. Also, I firmly believe the sound reproduction on vinyl is far superior to digital methods. I have a couple of records where I also have have the CDs......the digital version sounds dull and depthless compared to the record. One is an old Genesis Live LP that is so much better on vinyl that it is hard to believe!
I've been pondering the vinyl vs digital issue for years now.

The way I see it, the difference between the two has to come from two sources... Part of it is how the material is mastered. A recording mastered for the characteristics of vinyl will likely have a better chance of sounding better on vinyl. To be honest, I don't know if that is even a thing, but it makes sense given how flat the response curve is for digital recordings. Vinyl cannot possibly be that accurate.

Which brings me to the next part of my whacked theory... The playback from vinyl is not perfect. Similar to a "sampling error" on digital media. The imperfections are actually contributing to "smoothing" the sound. "Perfect" reproduction from digital brings subtle elements to the mix that you would not have even heard on the vinyl.

Some that say vinyl is better justify this by (accurately) pointing out that in digital, you have to discreetly introduce sounds at specific frequencies. There is no smooth step from tone to tone. With that said, the difference between any two steps is measured in tens of thousands of samples per second. In contrast, the grooves in a vinyl recording have pits that vary in width and depth. So it could be said that the needle is getting more of a smooth transition between sounds that digital has to handle discretely.

Or I am just insane.

Maybe both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back