Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with you on that!

I am a counselor with a social service agency, and we have a small urban garden plot (not big enough for a pumpkin) and a rooftop container garden. It is one of the best therapies, and I love the look of satisfaction when they pick a huge zucchini or tomato, and learn how to cook them up with fresh garden herbs.

Urban gardens are hard to come by here- even as a non-profit we waited years after our application before we got the space.

There's a movement in the inner city to put raised beds in empty lots for the cities poorest, but they can get tied up in court by realtors and land developers who put profit over food security.

There's a Social Enterprise outside of a smaller community who has a couple of acres loaned to them by their city. They teach people with mental health diagnosis how to do agricultural work, then they go get jobs. Produce is donated to the local food programs and sold at the farmers market, generating just enough income to keep the program running. I am often in awe of the great job my colleagues there are doing.

We are totally on the same team. I couldn't agree more with the therapeutic aspect of it as well. I love watching the neighbors walk by in awe. A lot of them start talking about why they don't have one in their yard as well. If I win the lottery I will be the developer that didn't develop.

Auto pots make a cover to go over the valve. This will work I've been planning a diy version for a while now. will love to see you do this!

Just had a bit of a brainstorm idea hit the old noggin' on a possible way to drive a few DIY earthbox style totes using a single Aquavalve. Question for @pop22 or anyone else that's grown anything with Autopots….if driving several pots in separate planters with an Autovalve, do you think you would run into an issue where one plant ends up getting overwatered because it's medium is still moist while another pot has dried out and triggered the valve to refill everyone again. Any theories on how many containers a single valve might drive before it would become too likely to cause an issue?

(diy earthbox style tote for anyone that's curious....)
recipe.jpg

One valve will run up to a 3ft x3ft tray, 2 for larger area. I'd say one valve could drive up to threeboxes. As long as the floor is level you shouldn't have over watering problems. I'm going to be using an aqau valve in a tray soon a do away with the bases, it also means just one or two 1/4" lines instead of several and all those fittings. Simpler means less chance of clogging!

Just had a bit of a brainstorm idea hit the old noggin' on a possible way to drive a few DIY earthbox style totes using a single Aquavalve. Question for @pop22 or anyone else that's grown anything with Autopots….if driving several pots in separate planters with an Autovalve, do you think you would run into an issue where one plant ends up getting overwatered because it's medium is still moist while another pot has dried out and triggered the valve to refill everyone again. Any theories on how many containers a single valve might drive before it would become too likely to cause an issue?

(diy earthbox style tote for anyone that's curious....)
recipe.jpg

I didn't use a valve with this but could have. I used 2, 15 gallon tubs. I cut a hole in the bottom of one, to fit a 5" netpot into. I 1/2 stuffed a cotton sock with coco/soil, fit it over the net pot and filled the net pot with the same mix. This made a big wick that worked great, kept 15 gallons of soil well watered. I used 4" elbows in the bottom tote to space the upper one above the water level. I also used at that time an AIT ( for getting air into the soil ).

Grew a real nice Auto Ultimate in it!

parts for one pound setup-4.jpg
parts for one pound seup-1.jpg
parts for one pound seup-3.jpg
AU pic2 -1-29-2016.jpg

Ok so I'm on a nick cave kick and mildly stoned. The suggestions you tube made for next songs were eerily similar but completely different genres. Must be good smoke.
5f3735acdbea84189a7362289a892ce2.jpg
16ac845d6b48735bf3ba7354f0dcae79.jpg
452a96dc3a91ddbf247a06329365fb68.jpg
3b6a0886d8798fd58f65e0563703b264.jpg

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back