Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20180729_004526_HDR.jpg

Children! :bighug:

It's unfortunate people have encroached so much and made a nice yard a rarity for some to see. Mine is a sea of dead grass and landscaping cloth that never got covered with bark dust. It's not that pretty outside of my expanding edible oasis. I will hopefully trellis some kiwi's next spring and plant more fruit trees, elderberry shrubs grown into a hedge row in one area for a secluded blueberry patch.

I would do anything to have the resources to build gardens for everyone. It's so easy and so fun and definitely delicious. Or a network of vacant lots urban gardens that solely produced food for people who are on public assistance, homeless, mental problems, elderly, the list goes on. Would be fun to network with people around the world and make it a movement. There are plenty of unemployed people out there who could at least take home food in exchange for some hard work everyday.

I am with you on that!

I am a counselor with a social service agency, and we have a small urban garden plot (not big enough for a pumpkin) and a rooftop container garden. It is one of the best therapies, and I love the look of satisfaction when they pick a huge zucchini or tomato, and learn how to cook them up with fresh garden herbs.

Urban gardens are hard to come by here- even as a non-profit we waited years after our application before we got the space.

There's a movement in the inner city to put raised beds in empty lots for the cities poorest, but they can get tied up in court by realtors and land developers who put profit over food security.

There's a Social Enterprise outside of a smaller community who has a couple of acres loaned to them by their city. They teach people with mental health diagnosis how to do agricultural work, then they go get jobs. Produce is donated to the local food programs and sold at the farmers market, generating just enough income to keep the program running. I am often in awe of the great job my colleagues there are doing.

There's a big, empty stretch of land around the rail yard across the street from the police and courts building here in town. Pretty close to my place and walk the dog by there all the time. I keep telling myself that if I ever win the lottery one of my ways of giving a little back is going to be to figure out who owns that piece of land and get them to let me turn it into a huge community gardens project. Something like 50 or as many as we could fit big 4x8(ish) raised beds with plumed in irrigation available that are offered up to deserving families each summer would be a beautiful thing. Maybe put some fencing around to help with deer and such and then cultivate some grapes or berry vine varieties along the fences for a little community fruit. So many possibilities.

:greenthumb:

Trying to get a shot of the coyote we spotted the other day. He was too far away for the camera phone to zoom on, but it does show the space I was talking about that I daydream about setting up as a community garden project.

IMG_7402.JPG

I am with you on that!

I am a counselor with a social service agency, and we have a small urban garden plot (not big enough for a pumpkin) and a rooftop container garden. It is one of the best therapies, and I love the look of satisfaction when they pick a huge zucchini or tomato, and learn how to cook them up with fresh garden herbs.

Urban gardens are hard to come by here- even as a non-profit we waited years after our application before we got the space.

There's a movement in the inner city to put raised beds in empty lots for the cities poorest, but they can get tied up in court by realtors and land developers who put profit over food security.

There's a Social Enterprise outside of a smaller community who has a couple of acres loaned to them by their city. They teach people with mental health diagnosis how to do agricultural work, then they go get jobs. Produce is donated to the local food programs and sold at the farmers market, generating just enough income to keep the program running. I am often in awe of the great job my colleagues there are doing.
In the UK we have allotments, you rent them cheap from the government for growing veg. A left over from the 2nd world war. But they are fun, especially if you have a good location.

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

Look up UK city farms, some of them are amazing.
There's a big, empty stretch of land around the rail yard across the street from the police and courts building here in town. Pretty close to my place and walk the dog by there all the time. I keep telling myself that if I ever win the lottery one of my ways of giving a little back is going to be to figure out who owns that piece of land and get them to let me turn it into a huge community gardens project. Something like 50 or as many as we could fit big 4x8(ish) raised beds with plumed in irrigation available that are offered up to deserving families each summer would be a beautiful thing. Maybe put some fencing around to help with deer and such and then cultivate some grapes or berry vine varieties along the fences for a little community fruit. So many possibilities.

:greenthumb:

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back