Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mossy ......our mate F6 could tell you, it goes the other way around when the lights go out! No photosynthesis means no O2 production, just respiration-- which consumes O2! This what causes fish kills in waters sometimes, especially warm ponds with lots of algae,.... Worse, the algae is a mix of species, including the ones that do fine semi-terrestrially, and that means slime-gunk f*cked pots, clogging the soil, smothering roots.... the decomp' causes problems too, and will initially actually take away nutes,.... As for the weak seawater plant, I'll believe it when I see it! Too much Na unless diluted drastically, then is micro-amounts of everything... what life is in the water as "fertilizer" isn't going to cut it,.. from there, it's be up to airborne microbes tolerant of saline water landing in the res' and somehow starting a cycle of grow-die-release.....maybe the right species of plant could be flogged along like this, but never canna'!

I would have to look deeper into the seawater one but apparently it's a thing..

I keep saying it, a pond bio filter should be on any hydro growers shopping list..

You would think with all the life in a fish tank, lots of it not ideal if it gets out of control could wreck a grow.. I've never had that problem and if I did the pond filter has an inline uv light to kill any bloom.

So, nice clean system and A & B nutes even.. people get root rot and scunge..

I used to get sheets of algae back in the day, can leave an unpleasant taste if ignored. The bio filter makes it to easy

:smoking:... another problem F6 would tell you is that fish excrete ammonia mainly as N-waste, little actual urea,.... which quickly turns into ammonium (NH4+) in solution, and too much of that N source is bad news,... that's why it's usually the lesser % total N in ferts,... NH4+ will acidify pH as it's taken up and the roots boot out an H+ during the charge/pH balancing act during uptake.... plus it's metabolized very differently that nitrate,... and NO3-- uptake releases OH-, a base ion.....

P1060382.JPG

:smoking:... another problem F6 would tell you is that fish excrete ammonia mainly as N-waste, little actual urea,.... which quickly turns into ammonium (NH4+) in solution, and too much of that N source is bad news,... that's why it's usually the lesser % total N in ferts,... NH4+ will acidify pH as it's taken up and the roots boot out an H+ during the charge/pH balancing act during uptake.... plus it's metabolized very differently that nitrate,... and NO3-- uptake releases OH-, a base ion.....
science of absorption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back