Outdoor Cow manure

C

chukles

Hi everyone, im thinking of doing a outdoor grow in a pile of decomposed cow manure (4-6 years old) and im wondering will that be good enough fertiliser to last me the whole grow as or will i still need to add nutes? also im not going to add any soil. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend who tried to do the same without much success. I am a manure fan it is my principal soil preparation every year and I add about 1/3 sheep manure. I fertilize as well once a week during growing season first with high nitrogen until budding starts and then with a more balanced fertilozer through the budding period. I use 15-30-15 out of my bubbly tank. I also add a calcium /magnesiom supplement and I am not a big suppliment guy. I think you should use at least 2/3 plain soil as a minimum with the cow manure and get some year old manure if that is possible.

Keep your pH at 6.5. If you don't have a meter get one thay are necessary.

Good luck and welcome to the site. Good people here.

Hi everyone, im thinking of doing a outdoor grow in a pile of decomposed cow manure (4-6 years old) and im wondering will that be good enough fertiliser to last me the whole grow as or will i still need to add nutes? also im not going to add any soil. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. The manure should be fine to use as a soil amendment, but not straight by itself. Mix it about 1/3 with something like Pro Mix or Sunshine mix. Or just buy some Sphagnum peat moss and perlite and mix it about 6 parts peat moss, 2 parts manure and 2 parts perlite. The peat and perlite will lossen the mixture, allow the roots to grow easier and provide oxygen to the roots. I would still do some supplemental feeding, especially during flowering.

Are you planning on growing photo or auto strains?

tnx. im thinkin Nirvana Seeds Bubblelicious Autoflowering regular ...p.s im not gonna grow in pots , i was watching Jorge Cervantes' Ultimate Grow DVD n there 1 part where his in italy n 1 guy is grow just with straight dirt n horse manure with no nutes....the plants looked great...

hey chukles, good to have you with us. for sure like muddy says... you gotta have something that gives your roots some breathing room for oxygen. i've tried that already when experimenting with different mediums, before i found all the great help here on AFN. the one thing i noticed about it, after the first watering, the water wouldn't even soak in, even after a long while. caused stem rot on the plant too. happy harvesting.

ahh ok tnx for the help, now i know what haz to be done :) what about the seeds? will they do ok outside?? Nirvana Seeds Bubblelicious Autoflowering

It is not as powerfull as 1 year old manure but is not no good. Just don't use it by itself. Mix it with some good bagged soil and throw in a little peat moss to loosen it up. I don't use perlite but many do with great success.

ok, is the 4-6 year old manure no good then?

I had great success growing plants outside with manure from the calf pens at a Dairy Farm.

Back