Clarifying different watering “protocols”

First-timer here. I have been reading everything I can find but I’m still perplexed. I have ILGM plants 15 days above ground in 5gal fabric pots, Kellogg organic potting soil (30% perlite, too), HLG 600Rspec at 24” and minimum brightness; humidity ~65%, temps ~74. I had been slowly increasing volume, last up to ~500ml Filtered tap water pH 6.3-6.5 every 2-3days when the topsoil was dry in the top couple inches. Had some mild drooping (I’m told - see pic) and a bit of yellowing on the lower leaves and was advised I’m likely over watering; told to go by pot weight instead. I’m now day 5 since last water, lower part of pot still feels like it may have some water, but upper 3” of soil is completely dry and crumbly (and feels hydrophobic?). Plants don’t look any different (to my newbie eye).

How do you balance not letting soil dry out and become hydrophobic, with not overwatering? I water in a circle out from the plant’s leaves.

I lost my first round of seeds to light burn and possibly under-watering, so I’m quite a bit paranoid now! Trying to practice “LITFA”, but I can’t really do that with watering... Please help!

Attachments

• AC4239A7-A4D8-4293-A530-C3BC0A77411B.jpeg
    AC4239A7-A4D8-4293-A530-C3BC0A77411B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 302
I have good results with a spray bottle early on. About week four I bottom water a quart of water every three four daze or so. This works for me in 3 gal cloth pots. Of course larger pots would use more water. I have a moisture meter but hardly ever even glance at it. The heavy VS light pot method works the best IMO........

Twisted cookies at 7 weeks. Very frosty for only 7 weeks!

So with flood trays, you do wanna keep them topped off, yes. I wouldn’t fill the tray all the way to the tippy top, but 2” to 2.5” of water should be more than enough. As far as using recharge, I guess that would depend. If it’s a liquid, you can let your tray run dry or empty the tray, then mix 1-2 gallons or whatever the smallest amount you can use is, then pour that into the tray and let them drink it up. When it’s gone, rinse out your tray and go back to normal pH’d water. If it’s a powder, you’ll need to top-water it in as needed. As far as wetting the top inch or so of soil... I guess that’s kinda growers choice. Personally, I don’t worry too much about it. Nothing much living in that top inch, or nothing useful. Mostly just fungus gnat larvae. So I let the top part dry out. Since I don’t use trays full time, the top stays pretty dry. But in my constant feed AutoPots, the top is moist because they’re sitting in 2” of water constantly.

If you are able to source the materials, have you thought about building your own super soil, or even using a pre-bagged “water only” super soil? I’ve found great success using super soil, mycorrhizae, bottom watering, and autoflowers. Took a couple plants to find my stride, of course. Hopefully I answered your questions, and I apologize for the 24 hour delay in response.

Thanks for the response - I didn’t even notice the delay as I’ve been sourcing parts and repairing a busted pipe thanks to the deep-freeze.

As this is my first grow (well, second set of seeds after my LEDs burned my first go), I’m trying to “keep it simple” and learn the basics. I have an endless supply of compost thanks to my chickens/goats/sheep, so I have done some reading about building my own soil, but still have a lot to learn on that. I’m hoping on future grows I can experiment with different soil/compost/amendment mixtures rather than just buying soil each time.

Thanks for the response - I didn’t even notice the delay as I’ve been sourcing parts and repairing a busted pipe thanks to the deep-freeze.

As this is my first grow (well, second set of seeds after my LEDs burned my first go), I’m trying to “keep it simple” and learn the basics. I have an endless supply of compost thanks to my chickens/goats/sheep, so I have done some reading about building my own soil, but still have a lot to learn on that. I’m hoping on future grows I can experiment with different soil/compost/amendment mixtures rather than just buying soil each time.
Have you looked at Build A Soils Coot Recipe for living soil?

Update: I did an experiment with the stunted seedlings and transplanted half into Happy Frog. I also upped my lights and increased my watering. After the seedlings that I moved into good soil started to outgrow the others significantly, I moved the rest to HF as well. I’ll try to add pics shortly as I‘d appreciate feedback on whether you think ANY yield is possible... One of the plants has weird discoloration - my guess is due to the pH flux from the alkaline soil to the good stuff (and possibly lockout, of course), but anything I can learn is appreciated.

Attachments

• CD1195A0-1A97-499E-B448-51C4249606FB.jpeg
    CD1195A0-1A97-499E-B448-51C4249606FB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 32A14B1A-E917-4C69-9296-056E9A1E550C.jpeg
    32A14B1A-E917-4C69-9296-056E9A1E550C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Second update: most of the plants seem to be coming along, though about 2/3 are pretty stunted. I have the space, so I plan to see them through to the end. One of the plants that was centered under the light had just a bit of the top leaf tip curling down this morning (but no bleaching), so I moved it to the periphery. Everyone else is growing happily toward the light. I have not increased the intensity further since they’re getting closer on their own. Is this correct management? Don’t increase light any further until in full flower? Thanks
@Mañ'O'Green @Growtogrow

Attachments

• D0A96A91-C0FB-4506-BFD4-81AF544D917D.jpeg
    D0A96A91-C0FB-4506-BFD4-81AF544D917D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
Back