New Grower CKS Random and Red Poison

4d-Rock

Geo-grower
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Seedstocker Purple Punch, Silver Lime Haze CBD, BCN Critical
Greetings and thanks for stopping by! Additionally, Happy Cannibas-mas to all you Canadians out there! And I hope all you readers’ countries follow and you get the benefit of legalization in the future.

Anywho, I’ve been growing autos for just over a year now with varying success in space buckets and outdoor pots. My best plant yield was around an oz and the other few have been in the 10-25g range. But I’ve been learning a lot through experience and all the wonderful help from forum goers like @autobeast , @Rollin_along , @archie gemmill , among many others.

I’ve recently purchased a new setup and hope that with this new growing space I can get into a good rhythm to produce better and more healthy plants.
c98f09048b8d56e02a4864558da43ce9.jpg
81fc55536ac249e03df9f134ca8089b2.jpg
2aad29495a4bd371a99e76cb8a0593f9.jpg

Details
Space:
2’x2’x4.5’ tent, it also has a 1x2 section that can be isolated or added to the main growing area
Veg/Flower Lights: 400W Roleadro COB (200W true) Run at 18/6 schedule. (first few days were using a CFL as things were set up yet)
Strain: Random Auto seed from Crop King Seeds and Red Poison from Sweet Seeds (started later)
Grow Medium: Pro-mix HP
Nutrients: Fox Farms Trio with Calimagic
Pot Size: 3 gallon smart pot for Random Seed, 2 gallon smart pot for Red Poison
Ventilation: Variable speed 190CFM inline exhaust fan with 4” Carbon Filter, passive intake, 6” oscillating fan inside tent
Environment: Lights on 23-25C/50-55%RH, Lights off 17C/50-60%RH. If I turn the Oscillating fan on, the temp increases and RH decreases a bit
Water Source: My tap water comes from the lake I live near, which is then put through a charcoal and UV filter. This runs at about 6.8-7pH (fluctuates a bit depending on time of year) and 60-70ppm. I have drops, a cheap pH meter and ppm meter, and pH up/down to help regulate.

The Random seed (Rando), was soaked for about a day in water and took 2-3 days in a paper towel before sprouting a 1cm taproot. It was then planted in the 3 gallon smartpot. It spent the first week with a CFL light in a spacebucket, and then moved to the new setup. It definitely had a slow start and is quite short. Not sure if it’s genetics, environment, or the light. When moving into it’s new digs, I thought I had the light about 24” inches above it so that it might stretch, but realized at Day 15 that it was around 30-32” and I lowered it to the proper 24”. It is definitely growing at a faster pace now, but still is a shorty. Currently at Day 16 with only water every few days.

I’ll post some pictures and I hope to keep this journal up through the grow. If anyone has any pointers, tips or comments, please feel free.

Thanks!

Day 1
6167f56d66c610401f1b534ffaff8d33.jpg

Day 5
d0ba7a25d7c0d3fb86bd9df0ac18f129.jpg

Day 10
a72a1cb96f275382e48ea4e2d0f0fa16.jpg

Day 16
13f3af840b717ac65198882f64a5d6a1.jpg

Nice set up, good luck, I will follow and help when I can.

Sent from my comfy chair
[emoji41][emoji2956][emoji848][emoji12][emoji42]

Like they already said, nice setup. Personally I always keep oscillating fans on during lights off to prevent mold and other nasty stuff. Wish you a great grow

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Also, before anyone asks, the two small plants in the back are pomegranate seedlings and the one in the clay pot is a Grapefruit tree that I started with my daughter this summer :)

They will likely be moved to the side or out of the tent as the girls grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like they already said, nice setup. Personally I always keep oscillating fans on during lights off to prevent mold and other nasty stuff. Wish you a great grow

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about maybe trying that out as I noticed the humidity spiking to ~70 during lights out. Not a bad thing during the seedling phase to have higher RH but not so great later on. Maybe I’ll try having the oscillation fan on an opposite timer. At least until they grow up a bit where I was probably going to have it going 24/7.

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about maybe trying that out as I noticed the humidity spiking to ~70 during lights out. Not a bad thing during the seedling phase to have higher RH but not so great later on. Maybe I’ll try having the oscillation fan on an opposite timer. At least until they grow up a bit where I was probably going to have it going 24/7.
I personally just leave my oscilators on 24/7. This air movement helps stems be strong and makes things like temp / humidity a lil more forgiving. (Think about being in 85f with and without a breeze)
Ive never had mold and ive always had 50-70 rh the whole grow. Ive done mostly indica dominant blends if that helps. And even an og kush (supposedly extremely susceptable).

Fire one off for me [emoji108] HG

Cool, thanks HG. I tried keeping the fan on today throughout the lights off and it brought the RH down to like 45%. Might keep it off for now until the grow up a tad.

A quick update on the girls. Rando is on Day 18, some minor discolouration but that could be from me spritzing with water and the light. Also was thinking, since I don’t know what the strain is, it could very well be a dwarf low Ryder as CKS does sell that in their auto selection. Oh well, only time will tell.
fde93e36f2f06668bf85c4034932e8eb.jpg

The Sweet Seeds Red Poison popped a few days ago and is coming along. Today is day 3 and I’ve been keeping a little plastic dome on it. Will probably remove in a day or two.

c80dc664851125b0bfea2dca8b804251.jpg

I’m still trying to get the watering schedule down. This new setup dries the pots up pretty fast, but I’ve only been doing little waterings at 100-500mL at a time. Gonna take some getting used to.

On a side note, 5 more days until the end of SoberOctober :)

Alrighty, Rando got it’s first dose of mild nutrients at Day 21.
Mixed up 1L with 0.5ml CalMag, 1mL FF Big Bloom, and 0.5mL FF Grow Big. Ended up at about 500ppm (weirdly the Calmag increased the ppm by about 200 which I’ve seen before, not sure why so hot) and ph’d to 6.2.
4903a1e79caf166bca791c3c014386d0.jpg

RP is at day 6 and she got 250mL of 6.2pH water. Coming along a bit faster than Rando
9d5bd6ae5985431e06667e549953137d.jpg

And lastly a pic of the fam. I lowered the light to about 18” above a few days ago and don’t seem to be getting any adverse affects.
cc08156ca5cac7ddd430ae39a68e120b.jpg

I have to say, looking at all the various journals I don’t understand why my plants are always such slow pokes. I don’t think I’m overly stressing them to begin with and I know my previous grows may have been lacking light due to setup. Was kind of hoping that this new light and tent was going to give a better start. [emoji25]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi :toke:
nice to meechya.
quality set up mate, and a few grows already under your belt; well ahead of me!

I have to say, looking at all the various journals I don’t understand why my plants are always such slow pokes. I don’t think I’m overly stressing them to begin with and I know my previous grows may have been lacking light due to setup. Was kind of hoping that this new light and tent was going to give a better start. [emoji25]

first two weeks is a killer, eh?
it's my biggest "concern" during my first grow, because i can't pinpoint a reason why it happened. i followed my template journal to the letter, and got different [read: slower] results. they still exploded in growth come week 3, but looking at them today (day 45 range), they did not veg' to their full potential before focusing on flowering, with less branching than most i compared to. i'm making some changes for the next new seed i pop, namely a different soil and a different approach to getting them started.

of course, it's not just the physical components that make the difference. i know from my first go that my technique is off. i know that i didn't over-water, but am i sure i didn't under-water? i understand my cob lights better - did i slow my seedlings with aggressive lighting? did i stretch them with too little lighting? well, both, actually :biggrin:

there's so much to consider. i see you're familiar with @autobeast already. this guy grows exactly how i aspire to - no messing with PH or PPM figures.
relevant to our concerns about our slow start...a guide from Autobeast on getting the best start! while i am quite literally following this guide product-for-product and step-by-step, there's good info in there that'll help you no doubt.

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...a-perfect-healthy-auto-start-to-finish.67300/

subbed :pass:

Back