OttoCBD

Unmundane in the Membrane
Reaction score
Since the inspiration and motivation for this grow (my first indoor in over 20 years) came from the simplicity of TaNg's now legendary schedule, I thought it would only be right to share the grow here. Those of you familiar with TaNg's schedule know that I'll be using AN nutes. I've tweaked the schedule a little bit to suit the fact that I'm using a General Hydroponics Water Farm. Actually, it's a Power Grower but it's pretty much the same thing only it stands three inches shorter (which is great for my limited space) and it's res is slightly larger. Being that these units are a hybrid drip/RDWC, I've seen nothing but great results from others that have used these units. This is the modified schedule that I started with but it's changed slightly in the last six days.

Days 1-10
Tarantula at 15ml per 2 gal
Carboload at 15ml per 2 gal

Days 10-20
Sensi Bloom A&B at 7.5ml ea. per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 7.5ml per 2 gal

Days 20-30
Sensi Bloom A&B at 11.25ml ea. per 2 gal

Days 30-40
Sensi Bloom A&B at 15ml ea. per 2 gal

Days 40-45

Days 45-60
Overdrive at 15ml per 2 gal

Days 60-70
Water

All of this will be taking place in a converted computer cabinet which, despite its actual size, is only suited for a 2' x 2' grow. I'll be using a Mars Hydro TS 600 which is plenty for the space that I'll be using. I also have a cheesy 2' blurple / Amazon LED and an older Mars Hydro UFO. Each will be used as supplemental lighting (mounted on the left and right walls)

Fortunately, I'm able to save some much needed interior space by venting the cab out of the back, through a vacant chimney and into a crawl space where a 4" carbon filter has been hung. Air is moved via a TerraBloom 4 Inch 160 CFM inline fan which has no problem pushing air through the carbon filter which is rated to accept pushed air.

As mentioned above, I dropped the seed into a rapid rooter 6 days ago and took it out of the germination station and put it in the WF yesterday afternoon. Rather than back track, I'll just start here at what I'm calling day 3. I look forward to sharing this journey with you folks and hope that maybe it'll inspire others half as much as I've been inspired by @TaNg and @dcat0921 ..Without any further ado, here she is.

CBD Crack 1-28-20.jpg

Last edited:
Looks lke a good start so far! :smoking::thumbsup: Don’t be expecting explosive growth off the bat, it takes a few days for her to get her roots established, then it’s off to the races!

Looks lke a good start so far! :smoking::thumbsup: Don’t be expecting explosive growth off the bat, it takes a few days for her to get her roots established, then it’s off to the races!
Thanks! I figured that might be the case. Maybe I should stop checking in on it every 15 minutes. After all, a watched pot never boils (pun intended ;-) )

Day 5

Still not much change in the visible realm but I do see a very tiny second set of leaves developing. When I put the seedling into the WF, I brought the res level way higher than normal operating level in order to reach the bottom of the net pot. I've been removing a liter each day and should be at normal operating level tomorrow. The drip ring (which is buried underneath the hydroton) has been running 24/7 and will probably remain on 24/7 even though a lot of people turn theirs off once the roots reach the res. The 4" air disc in the res has been on from day one. At some point, I'm going to rig up some sort of rubber stopper to put into the very top of the blue view/drain tube and I'll pump air down through that. Here's how it's looking this morning.

CBD Crack 1-30-20 (1).jpg

Below is the space that I'm working in. There's still another foot above what can be seen in the photo. The little unit on the left is a bottle cap humidifier that's been rigged on top of a cobalt blue flower vase, covered with a beverage insulator and part of a solo cup to keep the light out. For ten bucks, the thing works great in this little space. The little unit on the right is my home made heater which consists of a .65 liter crock pot that sits inside of a 8 inch terra cotta flower pot. The crock pot is stabilized within the pot by aluminum foil and the crock pot itself is topped with another terra cotta pot flipped upside down and wrapped in HVAC tape. Max temps from the very center of the unit are 165F. The unit itself never gets too hot to touch. I run it one hour on and one hour off 24/7 and it stays warm to the touch all throughout the off hour. Temps in the box never get below 63F.

CBD Crack 1-30-20 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup! Love the idea of using a crockpot to keep things warm, I would've never considered that.

Very interested in seeing your yields off a hydro single-plant setup. Initially I had planned to do DWC but the complexity concerned me for my first grow.

Nice setup! Love the idea of using a crockpot to keep things warm, I would've never considered that.

Very interested in seeing your yields off a hydro single-plant setup. Initially I had planned to do DWC but the complexity concerned me for my first grow.
Thanks! I had actually started off messing around using a ceramic infrared heater placed in terra cotta but it got way too hot to even touch the outside when it was on. The crock pot wound up being perfect for this.

I'm also curious as to what I can yield off this set up. I don't think I'll get the pound that dcat got off of his first single plant DWC but I can always hope. If you do ever decide to go DWC, try out one of these waterfarms. They're pretty awesome.

Day 7

I didn't update yesterday because not much has changed. Although, the second set of leaves is definitely more pronounced now. I did a res change this morning an upped the nutes by 2.5ml per 2 gallons. I also started feeding air down into the res via the drain/view tube. Rather than attach an air stone, I simply found a fitting that fit the top of the tube. Doing so creates a nice bit of turbulence down in the res along with a rather relaxing "blub blub" sound.

CBD Crack 2-1-20 (2).jpg

CBD Crack 2-1-20 (8).jpg

Day 11

Things are slowly perking up for the little girl. After doing lots of looking into possible causes of its short stature, I found several CBD Crack grow diaries that shared the same slow going. So, I'm just patiently waiting for her to be 'off to the races'. A few days ago, res temps climbed to 78F which made me a little nervous so I placed the hotter of the two pumps in an adjoining room which is unheated and poorly insulated. I also made a little breather tube out of pvc and popped that into one of the corner staking points. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort but it's light tight and better than nothing ..I think. The small humidifier that I was running wasn't cutting it so I ditched it and put in a bigger one. I also decided to not bother with the supplemental side lighting so I took those out. Last but not least, I put a blind inside of the cabinet to cut down on the amount of glare that escapes into the room every time I open the doors.

CBD Crack 2-5-20 (6).jpg

CBD Crack 2-5-20 (7).jpg

CBD Crack 2-5-20 (4).jpg

Last edited:
The feeding schedule that I had started out with has changed. It makes sense to base it on a weekly res change rather than every ten days or so. This is what I'm working with which is significantly less than is suggested by AN but I think I should be fine. This is also based on the fact that I'll be starting my next round of seeds using an AeroGarden with a one gallon reservoir and then going into a WaterFarm with a 2 gallon reservoir (but will be adding 4 gallons to the WF res for the first week) ..Once this run is over, I'll repost the schedule along with any changes that have been made. Any topping off with this schedule is done with 3ml of each additive per gallon.

Germination to first true leaves and visible roots in AeroGarden
Sensi Bloom A&B 1ml ea per 1 gal
Tarantula at 8ml per 1 gal
Carboload at 8ml per 1 gal

Week 1 Now in WaterFarm
(day one being first day in WF)
Sensi Bloom A&B 4ml ea per 4 gal
Tarantula at 15ml per 4 gal
Carboload at 15ml per 4 gal

Week 2

Sensi Bloom A&B at 8ml ea. per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 7ml per 2 gal

Week 3
Sensi Bloom A&B at 12ml ea. per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 7ml per 2 gal

Week 4
Cal-Mag at 7ml per 2 gal

Week 5
Bud Candy at 10ml per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 7ml per 2 gal

Week 6
Cal-Mag at 7ml per 2 gal

Week 7

Cal-Mag at 7ml per 2 gal

Week 8
Sensi Bloom A&B at 10ml ea. per 2 gal
Overdrive at 16ml per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 6ml per 2 gal

Week 9
Sensi Bloom A&B at 8ml ea. per 2 gal
Overdrive at 16ml per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 6ml per 2 gal

Week 10 -
Plain Water if flushing if not
Sensi Bloom A&B at 4ml ea. per 2 gal
Cal-Mag at 6ml per 2 gal

Here she is on Day 17. The outer edges of the larger leaves are slightly curled upwards from having been ponytailed for several hours prior to this photo. At this height (and at this rate) I don't think I'll be able to tie her down.
CBD Crack 2-11-20 (14).jpg

Last edited:
Back