NEWS buying seeds in US

Not legal in the USA, not "collectible" That's a British catch-22.

If seeds are legal to own as souvenirs [usa] then how are they illegal to ship?

As I understand the situation with the legality of shipping and receiving seeds is that importing/shipping into the US from another country, if caught, results in confiscation and a postcard or letter explaining regulations about shipping live plant and animal material into the country. That's the main reason why international seed sellers do stealthy shipping. The Controlled Substances Act (federal drug enforcement) doesn't include seeds; it's just USDA/Customs enforcing what are otherwise actual rational regulations.

Shipping seeds interstate within the US is/should be fully legal - with cannabis and identical(?) hemp seeds being used for bird seed, food, pressed for oil, etc. But if some postal worker turns in your package, I'd just presume it's lost/gone, that it will get turned in to law enforcement which will never do anything with it, won't ever pay to have it lab. tested, has no laws to throw at it, etc.

Last edited:
I always thought there was no THC in the seeds. Therefore besides the Eyeball test, I would guess they would have to be DNA tested.
I have ordered overseas to get seeds not available in the US. Now I have gone the way of the breeder and boutique US banks. There is a lot of large seedbanks in the US that seem to be a big ripoff. I love Fastbuds but I am mad that we get no deals here in the US. I got a bunch of gear from wicked pissah, twisted tree, Sofem, and puff puff pass. All delivered fast and cheap. I remember 20 years ago buying seeds from Canada sending a Money order and waiting a month.

Hemp seeds in bird food are irradiated to prevent germination, thank Nixon for that one! shelled hemp seed and hempseed oil are legal. I believe there are special regulation for legal hemp growers to import seeds and limit selection to a very few strains.

As I understand the situation with the legality of shipping and receiving seeds is that importing/shipping into the US from another country, if caught, results in confiscation and a postcard or letter explaining regulations about shipping live plant and animal material into the country. That's the main reason why international seed sellers do stealthy shipping. The Controlled Substances Act (federal drug enforcement) doesn't include seeds; it's just USDA/Customs enforcing what are otherwise actual rational regulations.

Shipping seeds interstate within the US is/should be fully legal - with cannabis and identical(?) hemp seeds being used for bird seed, food, pressed for oil, etc. But if some postal worker turns in your package, I'd just presume it's lost/gone, that it will get turned in to law enforcement which will never do anything with it, won't ever pay to have it lab. tested, has no laws to throw at it, etc.

Hemp seeds in bird food are irradiated to prevent germination, thank Nixon for that one! shelled hemp seed and hempseed oil are legal. I believe there are special regulation for legal hemp growers to import seeds and limit selection to a very few strains.
In 2014, President Obama signed a version of the Farm Bill that established the Hemp Pilot Program, allowing certain research institutions to cultivate and study hemp. And in 2018, hemp was officially legalized on the federal level.

The states where it’s legal to grow hemp in 2019 far outnumber the ones that have not passed legislation to allow residents to tap into the booming cash crop.

In fact, only three states currently allow no form of hemp farming: Idaho, South Dakota, and Mississippi. The rest of the United States allows for the cultivation of hemp via commercial, research, or pilot programs.

My BIL is a farmer in Michigan and recently attended a seminar to learn about growing hemp on his farms.

I was looking online out of curiosity and there are commercial hemp seed suppliers in the US where you can purchase bags of viable hemp seeds by the pound. An ounce of hemp seeds probably runs around 4,000 to 6,000 seeds.

Currently, you can't grow hemp in South Dakota, but I lived there for four years in the late 80's to early 90's and feral hemp grew everywhere. From one large plant you could harvest thousands of seeds. They grew hemp there legally during WWII and it would be nearly impossible to eradicate it. They didn't even try. It grew in every ditch in the town I lived in and it grew in in every vacant field along fence rows on farms.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't up to date on current hemp regulation.

In 2014, President Obama signed a version of the Farm Bill that established the Hemp Pilot Program, allowing certain research institutions to cultivate and study hemp. And in 2018, hemp was officially legalized on the federal level.

The states where it’s legal to grow hemp in 2019 far outnumber the ones that have not passed legislation to allow residents to tap into the booming cash crop.

In fact, only three states currently allow no form of hemp farming: Idaho, South Dakota, and Mississippi. The rest of the United States allows for the cultivation of hemp via commercial, research, or pilot programs.

My BIL is a farmer in Michigan and recently attended a seminar to learn about growing hemp on his farms.

I was looking online out of curiosity and there are commercial hemp seed suppliers in the US where you can purchase bags of viable hemp seeds by the pound. An ounce of hemp seeds probably runs around 4,000 to 6,000 seeds.

Currently, you can't grow hemp in South Dakota, but I lived there for four years in the late 80's to early 90's and feral hemp grew everywhere. From one large plant you could harvest thousands of seeds. They grew hemp there legally during WWII and it would be nearly impossible to eradicate it. They didn't even try. It grew in every ditch in the town I lived in and it grew in in every vacant field along fence rows on farms.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't up to date on current hemp regulation.
One of the sites I looked at lists the regulations in each state. I'm in Michigan where weed is legal but recreational weed growing licenses are expensive.

With hemp you can grow it in a field, outdoors. You are required to post signage around the field identifying it as hemp. Apparently the yearly license is around $1,350 each year. I just glanced at hemp seed cost at one site. For feminized seeds the price is determined by quantity purchased. Prices drop to $0.57 a seed at quantities of 10,000. $5,700 for 10,000 seeds.

Growers may transfer compliant hemp to processors as they see fit but must destroy non-compliant “hot” crops. If lab results suggest that a crop is non-compliant, the grower may request a secondary test to confirm or deny this. However, if the second test confirms non-compliance, the farmer must ultimately destroy the related crops. Testing fees are $125 per location plus an additional $125 for secondary testing.

If someone was doing an outdoor grow of recreational weed nearby it could cause you to have to destroy your entire crop of hemp due to THC content.

One of the sites I looked at lists the regulations in each state. I'm in Michigan where weed is legal but recreational weed growing licenses are expensive.

With hemp you can grow it in a field, outdoors. You are required to post signage around the field identifying it as hemp. Apparently the yearly license is around $1,350 each year. I just glanced at hemp seed cost at one site. For feminized seeds the price is determined by quantity purchased. Prices drop to $0.57 a seed at quantities of 10,000. $5,700 for 10,000 seeds.

Growers may transfer compliant hemp to processors as they see fit but must destroy non-compliant “hot” crops. If lab results suggest that a crop is non-compliant, the grower may request a secondary test to confirm or deny this. However, if the second test confirms non-compliance, the farmer must ultimately destroy the related crops. Testing fees are $125 per location plus an additional $125 for secondary testing.

If someone was doing an outdoor grow of recreational weed nearby it could cause you to have to destroy your entire crop of hemp due to THC content.
Freaking expensive. The laws seem haphazardly created.

Back