Brown/crispy leafs after "flush"/rewetting

Reaction score
Hi!
Some new issues with my grow..

Soil : biobizz light mix, I have NOT added any extra Perlite wich I will do next grow.
40-60% rh
Airpot 10l
20-27 Celsius
Dutch passion auto Brooklyn sunrise @ day 26
Advanced nutrients bloom a+b, vodoo juice, biobizz algamic.
Autocobs and 250w hps at 65 cm (been like this before rewetting without issues)

So, I have 5 plants going, 2 of them are Brooklyn sunrise.
This post is about them.

As I've noticed that all my plants soil had gone "hydrophobic"(water running out on the sides, around the middle of the pot) I decided on the 5th of January to dip them all in a bathtub filled with water that had been sitting out for 48hours.
Did not use ph up or down on the bathtub water, it was around 8.0 ph.

After the rewetting, I watered them with AN bloom a+b 1ml/l, vodoo juice 1ml/l and algamic 1ml/l until a slight runoff.

Ppm of water going in was 250ish and with nutes 640-660ish.

Ph with nutes 6.4-6.6 (AN nutes corrects it every time)

Now the bottom leafs has gotten brown/orange spots, big and small, and gotten "crusty".

I accidentally, the night after rewetting them, had 80-90%rh in the tent.
My humidifier and the wet soil didn't really "get along" to keep the correct level.
The hygrostat on the humidifier didn't register the correct rh @ the plants.
Was only during one night and I fixed it in the morning so it's been 40-60%rh after that.

What could this be?
(excuse the bad picture, but I think you can still see the spots)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Better picture, hps off.
All of the leafs on this plant got this issue more or less. These 2 leafs are worst though.

Attachments

• 20220107_103234.jpg
    20220107_103234.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 54
why did you flush?

Because the soil was super dry.
Hydrophobic as far as I understood.
The water never ran trough normally.
It either ran through fast and the soil was dry beneath the surface still.
Or the water went out on the side, and not in the bottom.

One of the plants even, kinda.. How to explain this..
Stayed on the water surface, like a boat, when u dipped the pot in the bathtub water.
Took a while before the bathtub water went through and up the top of the soil.

This grow has been a big learning experience!
That's for sure..

Flushing is not a watering strategy in soil. im not familiar with airpots, but when I water too quickly in fabric pots i get water leaking from sides. If I water slowly(water/absorb/water/absorb) I don’t have an issue. For reference, it takes me @ 30 min to water 4 plants. That may be irrelevant, but it works for me. Yucca powder will help with water absorption.

I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding here.
I didn't "flush" as a watering strategy.
I dipped the pots to rewet the soil as it seemed hydrophobic.
At least thats what it seemed like when reading about watering and how the water should go down trough the bottom of the pot if it was "normal".

Because the soil was super dry.
Hydrophobic as far as I understood.
The water never ran trough normally.
It either ran through fast and the soil was dry beneath the surface still.
Or the water went out on the side, and not in the bottom.

One of the plants even, kinda.. How to explain this..
Stayed on the water surface, like a boat, when u dipped the pot in the bathtub water.
Took a while before the bathtub water went through and up the top of the soil.

This grow has been a big learning experience!
That's for sure..
I have been using air pots for years and it does take a little longer to water.You have to water in steps a little at a time.When the soil is real dry you will loose water out the side holes and that is normal..I don't no what is causing your browning leaves but make sure you ph your water add a little cal/mag.

I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding here.
I didn't "flush" as a watering strategy.
I dipped the pots to rewet the soil as it seemed hydrophobic.
At least thats what it seemed like when reading about watering and how the water should go down trough the bottom of the pot if it was "normal".
my bad. Wrong choice of words on my part. It is my understanding that watering 10% of pot volume is target. That would be 1L. Break that down to 4 -1cup waterings waiting til previous water absorbed or 2-2cup waterings. Im STILL learning how to water properly.

Ah, ait. This info was new!
The % amount of watering to aim for.

@namvet25
Yeah I'll get some on Monday as it was closed today.
They only got biobizz calmag or advanced nutrients calmag Xtra.
Any input wich to choose?
My water is around 8 ph BEFORE the AN nutrients. The nutrients take it down to around 6.5

I had the same thing happen when I used the Biobizz LightMix. Never dried enough for a large volume watering before the top would dry out and go hydrophobic.

Tried less volume more frequency but the lower soil would get waterlogged while the top turned into a hard crust.

I think I may have been the one to suggest the bathtub soak to rehydrate. I had done a similar thing it had a large enough outdoor tub to use.

Leaf condition? Had the same thing on almost all my BBLM grows. Tried three different nute lines, including AN sensi pH perfect, watering changes, etc. Not saying it wasn't me but.....

I just did one test run solo cup and the only change was using coco, and watering frequency, much better results.

Don't know what the BBLM problem might be. I did do a slurry test on the soil itself but still couldn't figure it out.

Good luck.

Back