Grow Mediums Autopots with what medium...

Hey thanks DCL for tagging some folks and for you opinions/ ideas. Never used clay pebbles but I have read they can be finicky with ph, heard the ph is not very stable, when they dry out or get really wet the ph swings a lot??....

People were using all perlite in hempy buckets for awhile, not sure if that is still a "thing" and I seen some hydro-similar results.

I would like to hear from someone who has ran all perlite in a hempy, but I haven't seen anyone here run one.

As @Olderfart suggested to me, it might not have the wicking abilities of something like coco mixed with the perlite. He also brought peat or sphagnum moss in the conversation which is an interesting idea.

I
I would only use coco with a rock wool 3" cube and a Root Riot. It works for me and others. It is all a simple process we just try to make it difficult. I only have used the one part MCv3. Good growing and keep it simple.

I used cheap brick, thoroughly washed to get rid of fines and salts, and then buffered with cal mag. I would be careful of canna stuff, it seems to have ph buffering added already which could cause mischief with non canna nutes. Just my two cents, some peeps do well with it.
I watched guy on cocoforcannabis wash and buffer a cheap brick. Seems really easy.

I've used remo but i use emerald harvest now but I've had great success with both i also use coco/clay pebble mix also i know folks who use megacrop in autopots so i can get you some great advice there's @Nosias @pop22 @bushmasterar15 as these folks have it dialled right in so they will be such a help
This is what I wanted to know about autopots. How does it work with coco? From what I know(1 grow)I thought you dont want pot sitting in water when using coco???

This is what I wanted to know about autopots. How does it work with coco? From what I know(1 grow)I thought you dont want pot sitting in water when using coco???
@Olderfart I think you can explain this one better than I....

So people put things, most commonly perlite or hydroton on the bottom, lots of folks run all coco. Some people swear by air domes, and they all seem to put perlite or hydroton in the bottom, just leaving the top of the air dome uncovered.

Lots of people swear all coco is the best. From what I understand, either buy pre buffered coco or buffer it yourself using cal mag. Go to cocoforcannabis.com for a tutorial.

It has great wicking abilities and also provides lots of air for the roots.....

That's what I know so far, just ordered a bale....

Have a look at the grow in my sig, as well as the autopot review in my sig. Coco works fine in autopots. I prefer added perlite or vermiculite, but not everyone does. I think air domes are unnecessary and can be harmful if overdone.

The challenge with autopots is to avoid or fix nute buildup in the pots. I am still working on that, but the problem exists with any subirrigated medium, not just coco in autopots.

Happy growing mate, autopots or otherwise.:pighug:

Have a look at the grow in my sig, as well as the autopot review in my sig. Coco works fine in autopots. I prefer added perlite or vermiculite, but not everyone does. I think air domes are unnecessary and can be harmful if overdone.

The challenge with autopots is to avoid or fix nute buildup in the pots. I am still working on that, but the problem exists with any subirrigated medium, not just coco in autopots.

Happy growing mate, autopots or otherwise.:pighug:
I will check it out bud, thanks! Not sure when I will go to autopot, but have been looking around for now. I have some Coco loco I did my 2nd run with. I'm loving the smart pot version, but wish they came in 3gal not just 5gal. I would like to try my rain science bags in them.

Think I'm experiencing a little nute build up myself. What's the best strategy you've found to combat this? PH'd flush with a 1/4 strength does of nutes after (or 1/2) or just lower the nutes in the next res fill up? I also tried to dry them out for a few days and that may have made it worse, but 3 days of no additional water and they never showed signs of underwatering.

Think I'm experiencing a little nute build up myself. What's the best strategy you've found to combat this? PH'd flush with a 1/4 strength does of nutes after (or 1/2) or just lower the nutes in the next res fill up? I also tried to dry them out for a few days and that may have made it worse, but 3 days of no additional water and they never showed signs of underwatering.
Olderfart told me he plans to flush every 2 weeks or so going forward.

I would use a a mild nute solution, maybe half strength for the flushing.

Back