Grow Mediums Autopots with what medium...

Ryno_nuggs

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Greeting fellow growers. I broke down and bought some autopots and I am trying to figure out what medium to use.

I do not want soil, or anything pre amended with nutes. I have mega crop 2 part and a ton of perlite, it's mother earth's perlite that is bit larger than the cheap stuff at the big box.

Could an all perlite autopot work, like a hempy bucket? I'm thinking maybe but not the best.

So I'm thinking coco would be an ideal medium to mix with the perlite.

Has anyone ran 2 part mega crop with coco in the autopots?

Will it work as good as coco nutes, which I "THINK" has just more calmag in it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Would there be a need for additional calmag with the 2 part megacrop? I have read all about cal mag and coco, and all about people using it in everything and causing lockout.

I'm think @Mañ'O'Green 's hydro megacrop 2 part schedule would be the closest thing for my situation, but with he don't use coco.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input.

Lay low, get high and enjoy your grow!! :bong: :baked: :toke:

I think @Nosias tried an autopot with only clay pebbles/hydroton and it did not work out well. I don't know if the perlite would do the same thing. If you don't want soil, I think coco is the only other option for them?

I am interested in the autopots myself so I will be paying attention to what you end up doing. :biggrin:

@St. Tom runs autopots with hydroton/coco mix... I think.....

And so is @EP3 , well coco but not an autopot. I can't think of who else to tag but there are a handful. You'll be in good company.

I think @Nosias tried an autopot with only clay pebbles/hydroton and it did not work out well. I don't know if the perlite would do the same thing. If you don't want soil, I think coco is the only other option for them?

I am interested in the autopots myself so I will be paying attention to what you end up doing. :biggrin:

@St. Tom runs autopots with hydroton/coco mix... I think.....

And so is @EP3 , well coco but not an autopot. I can't think of who else to tag but there are a handful. You'll be in good company.
Hey thanks DCL for tagging some folks and for you opinions/ ideas. Never used clay pebbles but I have read they can be finicky with ph, heard the ph is not very stable, when they dry out or get really wet the ph swings a lot??....

People were using all perlite in hempy buckets for awhile, not sure if that is still a "thing" and I seen some hydro-similar results.

I would like to hear from someone who has ran all perlite in a hempy, but I haven't seen anyone here run one.

As @Olderfart suggested to me, it might not have the wicking abilities of something like coco mixed with the perlite. He also brought peat or sphagnum moss in the conversation which is an interesting idea.

I

Yeah, lots to consider. I'm sure the pros and experienced guys will steer you right.

@DCLXVI Didn't I see you in the Twenty20 mendo thread? Did you end up doing it?

Hello there. I grow in coco. Wish I had found here before I started!! After a few goes, unsuccessful ones, I found here.
I then still had no clue what I was doing and still dont really have a clue. I am always asking for help from people here who know more about growing than I know about everything!! Lol. Great bunch of people here.

Check out st Tom's thread, its something to aim for!

If I can help you along the way then please feel free to ask. I may not know the answer, but if I do, happy to help!!
Regards
EP3

Last edited:
@St. Tom I'm taking you up on the any questions you have ask away offer.

Please fire away, I think you do autopots and coco with remo nutes if I remember correctly...

Reactions: EP3
Greeting fellow growers. I broke down and bought some autopots and I am trying to figure out what medium to use.

I do not want soil, or anything pre amended with nutes. I have mega crop 2 part and a ton of perlite, it's mother earth's perlite that is bit larger than the cheap stuff at the big box.

Could an all perlite autopot work, like a hempy bucket? I'm thinking maybe but not the best.

So I'm thinking coco would be an ideal medium to mix with the perlite.

Has anyone ran 2 part mega crop with coco in the autopots?

Will it work as good as coco nutes, which I "THINK" has just more calmag in it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Would there be a need for additional calmag with the 2 part megacrop? I have read all about cal mag and coco, and all about people using it in everything and causing lockout.

I'm think @Mañ'O'Green 's hydro megacrop 2 part schedule would be the closest thing for my situation, but with he don't use coco.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input.

Lay low, get high and enjoy your grow!! :bong: :baked: :toke:
MegaCrop two part has a fair bit of calcium and magnesium in it. You may get away without any cal mag in coco, but if I were you I would have some on hand just in case, and if you use it, do so very sparingly or you will cause more damage than good. If you go with coco, make sure that it is buffered before you plant in it. Have epsoms salt available as well. If it is only slight magnesium issues that come up, you may be able to sort them with a light foliar application of epsoms rather than using up nute headroom with CalMag. If you don't have CalMag yet, I would suggest grabbing some GH Calimagic. It has less nitrogen in it than most alternatives.

Good luck with it.

Hello there. I grow in coco. Wish I had found here before I started!! After a few goes, unsuccessful ones, I found here.
I then still had no clue what I was doing and still dont really have a clue. I am always asking for help from people here who know more about growing than I know about everything!! Lol. Great bunch of people here.

Check out st Tom's thread, its something to aim for!

If I can help you along the way then please feel free to ask. I may not know the answer, but if I do, happy to help!!
Regards
EP3
Thanks man, I actually already just hit up st. Tom.
I appreciate you stopping by. You need to do a grow journal and get your CC badge!

Reactions: EP3
Back