Army of Dankness - Bruce's Budtastical Battlepalooza

Bruce Campbell

The Real Bruce C
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Welcome to Bruce's Budtastical Battlepalooza!

BBB.png

Round 1: Jean-O's Genetics
Cookie x Blue Dog.
Sativa dominant hybrid.
Strong THC content.​
Root Beer Float #2 pheno.
Indica dominant hybrid.
Above average THC.​

Last edited:
Introduction
In Bruce’s Blueberries, we showed that Bernstein’s 160 ppm-N optimum for photoperiods was a workable solution for the management of home cultivation programs for autoflowering cannabis.

In this grow series, we'll evaluate the use of a standard feed formula and fertigation plan against different genotypes and morphologies. We'll also investigate Zheng’s statistically derived optimum of 190 ppm-N and apply stricter controls to cation ratios. Each grow will be a 2-plant side-by-side comparison of selected strains grown in peat on a mineral salt-based fertigation plan.

Throughout the grow, I'll also update and share data forms and spreadsheets that I use to log and track each grow. I'll organize and share those through a "Table of Documents" on Google Drive that I will periodically update (link here). Major grow journal entries and other updates will be identified by threadmarks.

Background
A bit of background on our hero...
Some years ago, I was minding my own business, hanging out in housewares, when I heard that those hippies in government finally decided to legalize marijuana.
But, the all important question remained:
ash-vs-evil-dead-ashley-j-williams.gif

"Well, no," they told me. "But, you can grow your own!"
evil-laugh-ash_AFN.gif

Soon, I found myself transported to a strange and distant land:
come-here-taken_AFN.gif

Where I discovered a tome of ancient and forbidden knowledge:
holy-shit-whats-happening_AFN.gif

I broke out my old high school chemistry books, but years of prohibition had prevented these dark arts from being discussed openly. However, with evil rising once again across the land, this was finally beginning to come to an end. So, I did what I always did in school - I copied off the nerds!

I originally based my nutrient ratios on (at the time) more recent research by the Israeli Ministry of Health and University of British Columbia into optimal nutrient levels for photoperiod cannabis. I originally started with a random blueberry autoflower strain to see if those levels would create any issues for autoflowers.

Sure, I got a bit distracted growing an army of buds along the way (and, well, because of
evil-laugh-ash_AFN.gif
), but now I'm back baby!

Last edited:
Spells & Magic Potions
So, the good stuff:

The magic formula I typically use is "any feed combination that provides the following nutrient levels"

1722977228880.png

I haven't scoured PubMed for any updated research since I started 3-yrs ago, so there may be better info published since then. If anyone else wants to take a look and let me know (hint hint)...

This grow I'll be targeting the upper end of the N range (190 ppm-N). I'll also be formulating around cation (K:Ca:Mg) ratios, including an N-reduction during bloom, and updating for MC's new Part A formulation. Overall, this means a 4-part feed formulation (plus a 5th pH adjuster if needed). Without including pH adjustment yet, feed plan for this grow would be:

1722978286905.png

So, the good stuff:

The magic formula I typically use is "any feed combination that provides the following nutrient levels"

View attachment 1698738

I haven't scoured PubMed for any updated research since I started 3-yrs ago, so there may be better info published since then. If anyone else wants to take a look and let me know (hint hint)...

This grow I'll be targeting the upper end of the N range (190 ppm-N). I'll also be formulating around cation (K:Ca:Mg) ratios, including an N-reduction during bloom, and updating for MC's new Part A formulation. Overall, this means a 4-part feed formulation (plus a 5th pH adjuster if needed). Without including pH adjustment yet, feed plan for this grow would be:

View attachment 1698739
Rather than searching PubMed for plant fertilzer information(?), consider AGRICOLA and other databases from the Nat. Agriculture Library, USDA. And for practical, technological and real world proven information (vs. results of scientific investigations), the US and worldwide patent databases and full-text of patents are usually much better.

I do rather well with 2-part MegaCrop in coco/perlite. But in bloom I generally use Part A at 2.66 g/gallon (≥2x your 1.3), Part B at 2.33 g/gallon (vs. your 1.6; generally in line with Greenleaf recommendations), with low-moderate levels of different bloom boosters at early, mid and late bloom. I don't ever recall needing to feed epsom salts/Mg. Maybe a few grows I did foliar feeding in early bloom with this including Ca and Mg. I presume our plants are very tolerant of the range of nutrient concentrations they are fed. Both "less is more" and "more, push them harder" approaches and everything in between seem to work well.

Rather than searching PubMed for plant fertilzer information(?), consider AGRICOLA and other databases from the Nat. Agriculture Library, USDA. And for practical, technological and real world proven information (vs. results of scientific investigations), the US and worldwide patent databases and full-text of patents are usually much better.
Thanks Bill!

The AGRICOLA database overlaps a bit with PUBMED database. I haven't looked at which journals one may carry / have full-article access to / etc vs. the other, but I'll keep it in mind for future literature searches.

I've used USPTO for past research - have you run across any relevant patents for optimal nutrient rates?

I do rather well with 2-part MegaCrop in coco/perlite. But in bloom I generally use Part A at 2.66 g/gallon (≥2x your 1.3), Part B at 2.33 g/gallon (vs. your 1.6; generally in line with Greenleaf recommendations), with low-moderate levels of different bloom boosters at early, mid and late bloom. I don't ever recall needing to feed epsom salts/Mg. Maybe a few grows I did foliar feeding in early bloom with this including Ca and Mg. I presume our plants are very tolerant of the range of nutrient concentrations they are fed. Both "less is more" and "more, push them harder" approaches and everything in between seem to work well.

Here's how that stacks up at an elemental level:

1723027792644.png

That's similar to what I used for the six grows in Bruce's Blueberries, just with less S (from Part A) at the expense of more Ca (from Part B).

I've never had to use epsom salts before, and probably won't really 'need' it for this grow either. IIR, the 4:2:1 rule of thumb is ultimately just a commercial practice from geraniums (or some other non-cannabis flower). I haven't seen any investigations of actual optimum ratio or tolerance bands, etc. but I've had success without them in perfect balance before. Since these are 'new-to-me' strains, it's more a preventative measure for this grow.

This is so far above my head I can't hear the engine, but I'll read it a couple of times and maybe.. Thank you for your effort

Back