Bruce Campbell

The Real Bruce C
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Bruce Campbell's
Perpetual Ongoing Optimization Growathon

The Real Bruce C

Intro
This will be an on-going 2x2 perpetual grow while I use up the rest of my current beans and optimize my feed levels.

Based on my first grow, this strain is large enough that four at a time overcrowds my tent. So, I'll be starting with two at a time staggered ~5 weeks apart.

I'll be trying to confirm whether the optimal feed levels from recent studies by Bernstein and Zheng are applicable to this auto strain and/or whether they need to be reduced for autos.

I'll be starting with Mega Crop 2-part and adjusting as needed to hit my elemental ppm targets.

Basic Specs:

Base StrainILGM Blueberry AF
Number of Plants:2x2
Indoor / Outdoor:Indoor
LightPhlizon CREE Cob Series 2000W (400W Actual)
TentGorilla 2' x 4'
Pots3-gal Fabric and/or Airpots
MediaPro-Mix HP (70/30 Peat/Perlite)
Base NutrientsGLN - Mega Crop 2-Part
GLN - Sweet Candy
TrainingSingle Topping (~2-3 weeks / 3rd or 4th node)
LST

Feed Strategy
Based on the Bernstein & Zheng studies, my overall target nutrient concentrations are outlined below for each growth stage:

Vegetative Plan:
  • Min / Max N = 30 / 240 ppm
  • Target N = 160 - 190 ppm
  • Min P = 15 ppm
  • Target P = 60 ppm
  • Min K = 15 ppm
  • K:Ca:Mg Ratio = 4:2:1
  • Nominal Target K:Ca:Mg = 200 / 100 / 50 ppm
Flowering Plan:
  • Option #1: Same as Veg Feed
  • Option #2: Reduce N by 25% - 50%; Increase P by 0% - 50%
Seedling Plan:
  • Veg Feed at 25% - 50% strength

Mega Crop Plan
For the first batch, I'll reduce N / boost P during flowering. Depending on how that goes, I may run the second batch using the same veg formula throughout the entire grow.

Crunching the numbers gives the following feed rates and elemental concentrations for the first batch:

Part A
(g / gal)
Part B
(g / gal)
Sweet Candy
(g / gal)
Epsom Salts
(g / gal)
Seedling (33% Veg)1.2870.82500
Veg3.92.500
Flower1.31.72.00.8

NPKCaMgSCuFeMoZnBMnSi
mg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/Lmg/L
Seedling (33% Veg)50.7917.8173.3941.4121.4224.820.101.020.030.340.100.200.24
Veg153.9053.96222.40125.5064.9175.220.313.090.101.030.310.620.72
Flower86.7980.24192.5785.3447.6468.400.101.030.030.340.100.210.24

For reference, here's the elemental wt% for each:

ProductNPKCaMgSCuFeMoZnBSiMn
Megacrop Part A5.005.2421.5806.37.30.030.30.010.10.030.070.06
Megacrop Part B15.500019000000000
Sweet Candy011.7822.410130000000
Epsom Salts00009.8130000000
Note: Based on label GA amounts, after converting phosphate and potash wt% to elemental P/K wt%.

Last edited:
Germination Protocol
After some seedling issues during my first grow, I want to make sure I find a relatively simple and consistent method that will work for me for initial germination.

I suspect the troubles in my first grow were mainly pH issues. Peat starts somewhat acidic, and Pro-Mix notes that it can take up to a week for the included lime to begin to dissolve. So, I'll wet them and let them sit for a while before germinating.

I'll then try to add a bit of a pre-buffer, then start saturated with my selected seedling feed.

Here's the basic plan I'll try to follow at first:
  • Fill containers - Measure dry weight
  • Saturate with distilled / RO - Measure wet weight
  • Sit for at least 1 week
  • Feed ~1/4 - 1/2 gallon of full strength feed
  • Sit at least overnight
  • Flush with 1x - 2x capacity of starting seedling feed. Let drain.
  • Add ~8 oz distilled / RO. Check run-off pH.
  • If pH is acceptable, plant seeds directly in container.
  • Place container under lights to provide heat. Use humidity domes as needed once sprouted.
For the first batch, the containers initially sat wet for ~2 weeks. I pre-buffered with full strength bloom feed from my current grow (i.e., I just used whatever was left over after feeding my current plants). I'm sure I could do better, but we'll see how these first seedlings handle it.

The first batch took ~84 hrs to break the surface. I may have planted a bit too deep, or the delay could have been due to low moisture / high nutes. I may switch to paper towels for the initial cracking for later batches, but at least the first two are up and underway:

11-04-2021_B1_D1_All.jpg

@Bruce Campbell I have done ION testing on the MC 2 part system and have found that at the lower PPM/EC levels we feed autos it is out of balance. I assumed 100 PPM for your stating water and mixed 10 gallons to move the decimal point.

2021-11-04_22-32-21.jpg

This will be a little higher total EC but has a much better balance. I just discovered a new product that claims to have available calcium without nitrogen which if proves to be true in hydro I will be able to get lower N for flowering. As it is now the minimum Part B or Calmag to get to good calcium levels the nitrogen is too high. I can see it in my current grow as some of the plants are showing too much nitrogen. This is not a problem in veg.

2021-11-04_22-35-42.jpg

Thanks @Mañ'O'Green !

I think you're looking at my seedling formula, which is intentionally weaker than my normal veg formula. And, those are based on RO for now, without accounting for any additional additives / pH adjustment / tap water.

My goal for the seedling feed is to have the K:Ca:Mg ratios in balance, and just have N and P above deficiency limits. As I proceed through each new batch (i.e., 2 new plants every ~5 weeks), I'll increase the seedling feed strength to move closer to my normal veg mix.

Other than that, I think there's a few differences between our approaches:

1) I work based on just the elemental ppm values - these are just the mass concentrations based on the label GA wt%. I record EC for reference, but don't use it directly. It looks like you are converting elemental ppm to EC based on your meter measurements for each ion?

2) I believe your target ranges are based on those in the 2018 Purdue/Langenhoven presentation? Those are elemental ppm ranges for typical nutrient ranges across all crops? For N and P, I am using target values from recent studies for cannabis. For K:Ca:Mg, I target a ratio of 4:2:1, but am less concerned about the overall amounts.

3) I'm starting with MC 2-part as my base feed. But, as I progress, I'll want to tweak my target values for each new batch. I'll eventually need to mix product lines (e.g., MC + RAW or other brands) once I'm outside of the ratios I can achieve just from MC2.

Oh boy, this is going to be an intense one. Charts and math incoming! Love it grow friend! Between you and MOG we are going to have it down to the atom on what to put in.

Sheesh, you two will have your own nute company started in short order. Premixed in stable water solution sold by the gallon. Just dilute with R/O and bam! Auto perfection.

Oh boy, this is going to be an intense one. Charts and math incoming! Love it grow friend! Between you and MOG we are going to have it down to the atom on what to put in.

Sheesh, you two will have your own nute company started in short order. Premixed in stable water solution sold by the gallon. Just dilute with R/O and bam! Auto perfection.
I'd buy it :jointman:

Thanks @Mañ'O'Green !

I think you're looking at my seedling formula, which is intentionally weaker than my normal veg formula. And, those are based on RO for now, without accounting for any additional additives / pH adjustment / tap water.

My goal for the seedling feed is to have the K:Ca:Mg ratios in balance, and just have N and P above deficiency limits. As I proceed through each new batch (i.e., 2 new plants every ~5 weeks), I'll increase the seedling feed strength to move closer to my normal veg mix.

Other than that, I think there's a few differences between our approaches:

1) I work based on just the elemental ppm values - these are just the mass concentrations based on the label GA wt%. I record EC for reference, but don't use it directly. It looks like you are converting elemental ppm to EC based on your meter measurements for each ion?

2) I believe your target ranges are based on those in the 2018 Purdue/Langenhoven presentation? Those are elemental ppm ranges for typical nutrient ranges across all crops? For N and P, I am using target values from recent studies for cannabis. For K:Ca:Mg, I target a ratio of 4:2:1, but am less concerned about the overall amounts.

3) I'm starting with MC 2-part as my base feed. But, as I progress, I'll want to tweak my target values for each new batch. I'll eventually need to mix product lines (e.g., MC + RAW or other brands) once I'm outside of the ratios I can achieve just from MC2.
Yes that is exactly correct. Yes I used the wrong Part B number in the chart. Stoner move.

I convert the elemental weight into EC because most growers associate PPM with EC and they can more easily follow a feed schedule based on it. Of course you are in a group that understands the science expressed in weight.

Yes I am working in a broad spectrum for target nutrient values because I did not have the means to do otherwise when I started and I am still limited by the inputs I am willing to acquire. I am incredibly lazy in the long run. Did I mention Cheap.

I am not familiar with the study your refer to but have read many with different NPK ratios and good results. I am basing mine on my personal observation adjusting within known starting parameters as I go. I am getting very close now. My goal is to grow 6 plants to completion with as little $ as possible with the same characteristics as those plants grown in TLS done in hydroponics consistently. It sounds simple but it is not. Genetics is a wild card that is always in play.

I would be honored to pull up a chair and watch another scientific salt approach if you don't mind. I am never afraid to learn new things.

Back