AFN welcomes Horticulture Lighting Group!

There are a couple of factors to consider. 65-70% of the output of an HPS light is heat and IR. so a 600 watt HPS that's 35% efficient creates 390 watts of heat and 210 watts of heat. LED has come so far that these numbers are just about reversed. And LED creates no IR.

Personally, I think the 550 ECO is a good choice. Even at full power it will produce almost 50% less heat at the lamp than an HPS light.
The 600 Rspec is also a good choice. Running it dimmed ups the efficiency while still producing more than enough light for a 4x4 space. I'd dim one about 20% in a 4x4 tent without CO2 enhancement.
How high from the canopy at 80% for the 600 Rspec in a 4 x 4, and does that percentage apply for all stages of growth past seedling? Right now I've got mine at 24" at 70% just starting week 4 of my very first grow, using a 4 x 4 with FFOF mixed with about 1/4 Happy Frog in 5 gallon pots, no feeding yet, only watering about every 3 days with 6.5 de-chlorinated tap water and no CO2, wanted to keep things as simple as possible for my first time growing. This may not be the right thread to cover subjects other than lighting but I'll also happily take anyone's input/advice on how things look so far and maybe my best steps moving forward. Either way I'm stoked to get the impression from everyone here that I've made the right choice for my light, now just trying to figure all this out lol!
20210623_070808.jpg

I keep my 600r at 50% @ 30” for Veg & slowly increase wattage at beginning of flower to reach full 100% by ~2nd week of flower
Thanks for the input, it's nice to hear from someone who actually has the same light as I do! Do you maintain the 30" throughout the grow? Also, love to know your thoughts on the idea I read that since these are considered commercial lights they're designed to hang high running at 100%, but in a 4 x 4 tent to run at 100% would be somewhat overkill and the last 20% wouldn't make any difference.

Thanks for the input, it's nice to hear from someone who actually has the same light as I do! Do you maintain the 30" throughout the grow? Also, love to know your thoughts on the idea I read that since these are considered commercial lights they're designed to hang high running at 100%, but in a 4 x 4 tent to run at 100% would be somewhat overkill and the last 20% wouldn't make any difference.
You can run them at 100% & hang your lights at the very top of the tent, but I don’t feel the need to. It’s a huge waste of electricity IMO. You will get far better efficacy at lower watts closer to plant. In flower the closest I bring the light is ~24”

Unless your running co2, your right the last 20% won’t make a big difference. More than likely it would be detrimental depending on the PPFD levels at canopy without supplemental co2

24" and 70% is great for veg for seedlings I'd drop to 50%. not that they can't take the light they certainly can, but it's a waste of light unless you've got a tent full of seedlings! At 80% for flower, I'd try to keep it at 18'. But various strains may like it and some may not. It's always best to observe your plants and look for signs of light avoidance, such as leaves turning sideways.

Your plants look good

How high from the canopy at 80% for the 600 Rspec in a 4 x 4, and does that percentage apply for all stages of growth past seedling? Right now I've got mine at 24" at 70% just starting week 4 of my very first grow, using a 4 x 4 with FFOF mixed with about 1/4 Happy Frog in 5 gallon pots, no feeding yet, only watering about every 3 days with 6.5 de-chlorinated tap water and no CO2, wanted to keep things as simple as possible for my first time growing. This may not be the right thread to cover subjects other than lighting but I'll also happily take anyone's input/advice on how things look so far and maybe my best steps moving forward. Either way I'm stoked to get the impression from everyone here that I've made the right choice for my light, now just trying to figure all this out lol!View attachment 1334396

Back