2x55 watt T5 light on seedlings - advice needed

Reaction score
I have two 4 day old auto flowering seedlings under a 2 x 55w T5 light. I cannot find any info about how high above the seedlings the light should be. Most of the stuff I've read refers to 2 x 24 watt T5 lights. Since mine are significantly brighter and warmer, what's the recommended distance? My two seedlings are about 4 cms tall with nice straight stems, but the one set of true leaves they both have are really tiny. I currently have the light about 20cms above the seedlings. I'm worried about scorching them if I lower the light. Do I just need to be more patient? They're in an organic potting mix with perlite and coir. They will be going outside once they get 3 or 4 sets of leaves. I'm only using the T5s for the seedling stage. Thanks in advance.

I have two 4 day old auto flowering seedlings under a 2 x 55w T5 light. I cannot find any info about how high above the seedlings the light should be. Most of the stuff I've read refers to 2 x 24 watt T5 lights. Since mine are significantly brighter and warmer, what's the recommended distance? My two seedlings are about 4 cms tall with nice straight stems, but the one set of true leaves they both have are really tiny. I currently have the light about 20cms above the seedlings. I'm worried about scorching them if I lower the light. Do I just need to be more patient? They're in an organic potting mix with perlite and coir. They will be going outside once they get 3 or 4 sets of leaves. I'm only using the T5s for the seedling stage. Thanks in advance.
i don't use T5 lights but keep them were they are if they start going leggy lower the light also pics are always better to help in future and at 4 days most of the growth is happening below ground with roots so don't stress also its really nice to meet you im tom

i don't use T5 lights but keep them were they are if they start going leggy lower the light also pics are always better to help in future and at 4 days most of the growth is happening below ground with roots so don't stress also its really nice to meet you im tom

Thanks St Tom. So patience is key - as you said, most of what's happening is happening under the soil. I'll see how they go with keeping the light at 20cms above and if they start really stretching I'll lower it a few cms. Yep, next time I'll put up some pics to give a better idea. Cheers.

T5s will be fine for the first week or so. I would keep them close if it isn't warm enough. Root development likes 76-80f temps with high humidity, same with clones.

T5s will be fine for the first week or so. I would keep them close if it isn't warm enough. Root development likes 76-80f temps with high humidity, same with clones.

Hmm.... perhaps lack of humidity is the issue then. Is it too late at 5 days old to put domes over them? Thanks for your comment.

Hmm.... perhaps lack of humidity is the issue then. Is it too late at 5 days old to put domes over them? Thanks for your comment.

Not too late. It will help them root a bit better then you can gradually remove the domes and let them acclimate.

I always dome to germ but then remove and just spray the plants often. I too use T5...96w to get my seedlings through 4-5 weeks before jumping over to the bloom tent.
I usually have 4 or 5 in different stages on a heat mat and try to keep lights about 2 " from plants. A small fan moves air around and all seems happy.

Thanks automan2. Mine are 110w total so not that much higher than 96w. I've got a small fan for them. Do you plant in final pots as recommended?
I always dome to germ but then remove and just spray the plants often. I too use T5...96w to get my seedlings through 4-5 weeks before jumping over to the bloom tent.
I usually have 4 or 5 in different stages on a heat mat and try to keep lights about 2 " from plants. A small fan moves air around and all seems happy.

According to how much room in my veg cabinet which of course is usually packed; Sometimes I germ in final containers...sometimes in solo cup, then transplant.
I grow in small pots, 2-3ltr which provides me with way more weed than I can use and make several friends happy.

According to how much room in my veg cabinet which of course is usually packed; Sometimes I germ in final containers...sometimes in solo cup, then transplant.
I grow in small pots, 2-3ltr which provides me with way more weed than I can use and make several friends happy.
Wow, that sounds like a good idea to use smaller pots, like 2-3 litres. I think my 11litre pots are way too unwieldy under the T5 lights and the seedlings look really list in them!

Back