1st try in coco- fail.2nd try - light mix, jiffy pellets?

ohh that looks interesting :biggrin: ill definitely look into it !
You might want to have a look at some of the reviews of Root Riot cubes. There are some pissed off growers out there. Far be it for this noob to differ with @St. Tom - he probably has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff. However, there are definitely some apparently sincere and competent negative reviews worth thinking about. I am left with the impression that the company may have a problem with quality control. Having said that, online reviews are sometime BS, so choose yer poison. :biggrin:

The basic approach of putting your seed directly into the Root Riot cube should work with the Jiffy pellets, but I have never tried it. I always give my seeds a soak and then into paper towel until I see ~10 mm or so of tap root. Once a happy root is confirmed, the seed gets planted tap root down in the moist Jiffy if that is what I am using. Whatever the sprouted seed goes into gets placed in a domed tray on a germination heat pad until leaves are well started. If you use a heat pad, I suggest controlling it with a thermostat. Some pads get hot enough to harm germinating seedlings, at least I have read reports to that effect. I control heat in my germination tray with the same Inkbird thermostat that later controls heat in my growdrobe.

Good luck with it. :pighug:

You might want to have a look at some of the reviews of Root Riot cubes. There are some pissed off growers out there. Far be it for this noob to differ with @St. Tom - he probably has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff. However, there are definitely some apparently sincere and competent negative reviews worth thinking about. I am left with the impression that the company may have a problem with quality control. Having said that, online reviews are sometime BS, so choose yer poison. :biggrin:

The basic approach of putting your seed directly into the Root Riot cube should work with the Jiffy pellets, but I have never tried it. I always give my seeds a soak and then into paper towel until I see ~10 mm or so of tap root. Once a happy root is confirmed, the seed gets planted tap root down in the moist Jiffy if that is what I am using. Whatever the sprouted seed goes into gets placed in a domed tray on a germination heat pad until leaves are well started. If you use a heat pad, I suggest controlling it with a thermostat. Some pads get hot enough to harm germinating seedlings, at least I have read reports to that effect. I control heat in my germination tray with the same Inkbird thermostat that later controls heat in my growdrobe.

Good luck with it. :pighug:
Each to there own but i personally have had 99 pcent success rate with them but that doesn't mean anyone else will

i have look at it, but i have already got jiffy pellets, and my seed is germinating in paper towel. :D So if i feel adventurous one day i may try it. For now i ll stick to most commonly tried and tested, untill i get at least one succeful grow. Well with that said , placing seed in jiffy tonight wish me luck!

i have look at it, but i have already got jiffy pellets, and my seed is germinating in paper towel. :D So if i feel adventurous one day i may try it. For now i ll stick to most commonly tried and tested, untill i get at least one succeful grow. Well with that said , placing seed in jiffy tonight wish me luck!
It's all a learning process and each of us has their own lil quirks......It's your grow, grow it how you want it.

I’m a noob on my first grow & used the dual/split solo cup method with Coast Of Maine seed starter soil.
It was clean, easy, fast, cheap, & the plants never stopped at all. I transplanted on day 14.
Couldn’t have worked better.

Last edited:
I’m a noob on my first grow & used the dual/split solo cup method with Coast Of Maine seed starter soil.
It was clean, easy, fast, cheap, & the plants never stopped at all. I transplanted on day 14.
Couldn’t have worked better.
best of luck on your first grow mate!!

best of luck on your first grow mate!!
Thanks. The plan was to move the girls outside, but the temps skyrocketed & that didn’t happen.
They look fantastic at 3.5 weeks in though.

definitely!! i had some good tips given to me tho , it definitely helps to ask someone who knows what theyre doing in the beginning :)
lots of knowledgable people on here.

The jiffy pellets work amazing! germinated the seed tuesday with soak, then paper towel.
thursday morning jiffy, and its already out!

Back