New Grower 1st Grow, Need Light Height Advise - using LED & CFL

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
First wanted to thank everyone for this depository of info. It has really made things a lot less stressful getting to this point as this is my first serious grow. Here are the stats:

Grow: 2 BB Auto Cheese & 2 BB Critical Mass
Germed 1/17/13, cracked 1/18, Into Jiffy Pucks 1/19, cracked surface 1/20 and into Solo Cups on 1/22
Cup Soil - Pro Mix Seed Starter (Red Bag)
Grow Soil: 50/30/20 mix of soil, perlite, worm castings. The soil component is 50/50 Roots Organic & FFOF

Amendments in the recommended amounts have been: Epsom Salt, Dolomitic Lime, Rare Earth Powder, Liquid Humic Acid, Powdered Baby Cereal. Soil was mixed on 1/18 and mixed several times a week until use and watered to keep moist during this time.

To date, no nutes added, only distilled water when needed.

From there, they went under a 13W CFL with a heat mat in a small closet and have done exceptionally well - according to pics I've seen here.

Today I moved them into their final location/set up. Box is in a basement, temps in the area are mid 60's, it is an open top, plywood box, platform is 1ft off the cement floor (on top of milk crates), box is approx 4ft long x 2.5 ft wide x 4 ft high including the milk crates. All surfaces are covered in mylar, and I've got a thermostatically controlled tower heater/fan in the box to keep temp up and constant in the mid to upper 70's.

Lighting, currently there is a Hydro Hut 260 Pro (2012 model) with both spectrums turned on, wonderful piece of technology BTW. Also have a 180w T6, Full Spectrum 80 CRI, 61 Lumens PW (10,980 total) CFL 5000k, mogal base with a bat wing reflector. In reserve, I've got another batwing with a 105w CFL 2700k, 68 lumens per watt - 7140 total. The 105w is not currently in the box.

Today I gave them a good watering as they had not been watered since Tues 2/26 and they were dry on both the finger stick and the multi meter. After allowing to drain, I cut the bottoms from the party cups and placed the cups into 5 gal Smart Pots. One of the Cheese's tap was already coming out of the soil, that is one to watch. Soil in the Smart Pots are still mostly dry, read not to water the pot soil until the plants exceed the diameter of the party cup.

Will be using FF Nutes with 1/4 dose to start and ramping up slowly from there. BS Molasses, and floliar feeds as needed.

Two of the plants are directly under the LED the other two are directly under the CFL. In my research I found some varying advice on what height to place these lights at. I know that since these lights do not give off much heat, it's generally ok to leave them closer than a HPS or MH lamp, but I've also read that a high watt CFL could still burn a young plant. I know now that multiple, smaller CFL's would have been a better bet, but for now this is what I've got available. Presently both lamps are at 24 inches from the height of the growth. I am interested in advice on where to spot these lamps to give them the best light possible. Lights will go 24/7 for at least the next 10-14 days, then may move to 20/4. Will switch the LED to Flowering around week 5, would definitely add in the 105w 2700k at this point as well.

The plants will be roated daily to expose to both lights equally and to move plants around the tower heater. Heater tower will be dialed into 74F to ensure we don't beat up the plant closest to the outflow. Heater is going to be required due to the mid 60's constant temp in the cellar.

So far, so good. Thanks again, this site has been a huge ass help while reseaching this project. Obviously this one is a personal grow, so I'm shooting for quality. Going in with low expectations as this is a first time, but I think this site has prepped me well for what to do when things hit the fan down the line. Rather be suprised if it turns out well.
Cheers!
The MaineKoon

Cfls can get as close as 6 inches from top of plants.Just hold the back of your hand even with the top of the plants and move light down until you feel the heat on the back of your hand then just move it slightly up until you can't feel the heat and this is the height the lights can be.

What kind of LED do you have?
They usually need to start around 24" and worked down as they grow to keep your node spacing like you want it. They can be closer during flowering. And yup, cfls can be real close, just as Nam pointed out. :D
Good luck.

Thanks so much guys! Very much appreciate your feedback. I'll drop the CFL down today, just didn't want to risk a scorch but really wanted to get them under the big lights ASAP. The LED is from Hydroponics Hut, it's a Pro 260 - http://www.hydroponicshut.com/pro-grow-260-led-grow-light-hydroponics-hut.html I'll leave the LED at 24 and work it's way down based on node spacing. Will be shooting for 1 in spacing based on info from the forums.

Cheers & Thanks,
The MaineKoon

Back