Grow Mediums 100% Hydroton Hempy

Reaction score
Hey guys

Would utilising 100% hydroton balls be a bad idea?

My experience with 100% perlite hempy has been tainted by the mess, bouyancy and occasional blockages my 100% hempy entailed.

I'd like to use a ebb & flow or dwc system but I'm never in my country for more than 2 months. I usually go away for 2 or 3 weeks so a drain-to-waste system is all I can use without employing someone.

Also, how often do you have to change out a drain-to-waste nutrient reservoir? I'm planning to set up a big nutrient reservoir that'll automatically water the hempy while I'm outta town.

Hey guys

My experience with 100% perlite hempy has been tainted by the mess, bouyancy and occasional blockages my 100% hempy entailed.

I'd like to use a ebb & flow or dwc system but I'm never in my country for more than 2 months. I usually go away for 2 or 3 weeks so a drain-to-waste system is all I can use without employing someone.

Also, how often do you have to change out a drain-to-waste nutrient reservoir? I'm planning to set up a big nutrient reservoir that'll automatically water the hempy while I'm outta town.
Hey man, I have tried this before and didn't have great success with it. The experience taught me not to experiment too much with unconventional methods unless you are willing to risk an unsuccessful grow.

I have seen people talk about doing it, but its rare to find a journal where someone did it successfully.

Maybe you could try doing one or two plants this way alongside your plants using perlite. That way if it didn't work out, the loss wouldn't be so huge and if it did work out you'd be able to switch over fully on your next grow.

Good luck with your grow!

Last edited:
Hey guys

Oh also, If you dont like mess, another option for drain to waste is rockwool. With automated drip systems you can grow full size plants in the 6 inch rockwool cubes.

As far as frequency of changing out rez, it depends on the size of the rez. I don't know exact numbers, but I would guess that with some circulation inside a large rez, you could leave it for 10 or more days.

Hey guys

Absoultly not. Straight clay pebbles works great in fabric pots. I grow in only clay pebbles. Just finished a grow in tje fabrics pots with really great results in an ebb and flow. However, the root mass and pebbles made it almost impossible to save the pot after ward. So now Im running clay pebbles in the air pots. Since i can easily wash these down and reuse mutilple times. In a drain to waste the only issue I see you running into is the pebbles wont hold moisture as well as coco or soil requiring more feeding. And if your doing some afk farming a drain to waste system will need a very large reservoir. An ebb and flow might work better. They recommend changing water out ever 7-10 days. But quite a few people get away with only changing it once or twice per grow. Just keep good circulation and your good.

Back