Indoor $1.50 Seed Grow! Are cheap seeds worthwhile?

$1.50 Seed Grow! Are cheap seeds worthwhile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very nice!

This is one of 6 Linda Seed Grapefruit I got going. 3 are similar to this one, 1 is shorter and bushier, 2 Took to the stretch, but not to bad at all. At this point of the grow I am very happy with the quality of Linda Seeds. I am new at growing and just gettin my roots myself, just I gal. pots with sum FFHF, FF trio, and rain water.

This thread seems to have drifted off its original subject, so I may just be talking into the void. But I think the question of seed cost is misplaced to begin with. It doesn’t matter if the seed costs $1.50 or $15 each It will still be basically the cheapest part of the grow at the very small scale most of us are growing. Unless you are growing outside you will spend 10-100 times the cost of your seed on electricity so getting the most efficient light is going to save a lot more money than being cheap on seeds. ROI is a big factor for me too, if I am getting 4-5 oz from a plant who cares if the seed was $1 or $10? It was a good value either way.

More expensive seeds usually cost more because of the work that goes into creating them. If we didn’t have real breeders like Mephisto, Night Owl, Twisted Tree and many others who would all the discount seed producers rip off their parent strains from?

I am always happy to pay for quality, consistency and for good people who are doing good work.

Last edited:
I agree to a point. However paying more for seeds does not guarantee that more effort was put into the breeding. More than half of seeds $15-30 each are F1 fems! THAT'S not good breeding, that's thievery! I feel the same way about "clone only" strains. There are NO single super plants! You grow out regs and you too can find a special mother. Fem seeds just prevent you from doing your own pheno hunting. If I'm paying more than $15 seed, i want regs period.
This is one reason I'm working on starting a seed company, so i can offer my strains in both regs and fems, as it should be.

And this thread was started to inform people on a tight budget that there are worthy alternatives to over priced seeds. People still grow using CFLs for lighting, or $79.00 Chinese burple lights, whatever works that they can afford. I can buy 30-50 Linda seeds for the price of some 5 packs!
So sure if you got it spend it! But many peple right here on AFN can't go drop $200-$300 a pop to buy seeds.

This thread seems to have drifted off its original subject, so I may just be talking into the void. But I think the question of seed cost is misplaced to begin with. It doesn’t matter if the seed costs $1.50 or $15 each It will still be basically the cheapest part of the grow at the very small scale most of us are growing. Unless you are growing outside you will spend 10-100 times the cost of your seed on electricity so getting the most efficient light is going to save a lot more money than being cheap on seeds. ROI is a big factor for me too, if I am getting 4-5 oz from a plant who cares if the seed was $1 or $10? It was a good value either way.

More expensive seeds usually cost more because of the work that goes into creating them. If we didn’t have real breeders like Mephisto, Night Owl, Twisted Tree and many others who would all the discount seed producers rip off their parent strains from?

I am always happy to pay for quality, consistency and for good people who are doing good work.

Well, not really.
The question is are they worth it. You have several people here that are quite good growers that have large personal seed banks that have actually grown many varieties of Linda seed girls. They can grow anything they want from old school to the newest fire to their own. They still grow and BUY Linda seeds. There's a reason for that. Linda Seeds work.
They work very well for new growers especially. Big deal if a new grower screws up on a little 3 girl grow,

I agree to a point. However paying more for seeds does not guarantee that more effort was put into the breeding. More than half of seeds $15-30 each are F1 fems! THAT'S not good breeding, that's thievery! I feel the same way about "clone only" strains. There are NO single super plants! You grow out regs and you too can find a special mother. Fem seeds just prevent you from doing your own pheno hunting. If I'm paying more than $15 seed, i want regs period.
This is one reason I'm working on starting a seed company, so i can offer my strains in both regs and fems, as it should be.

And this thread was started to inform people on a tight budget that there are worthy alternatives to over priced seeds. People still grow using CFLs for lighting, or $79.00 Chinese burple lights, whatever works that they can afford. I can buy 30-50 Linda seeds for the price of some 5 packs!
So sure if you got it spend it! But many peple right here on AFN can't go drop $200-$300 a pop to buy seeds.
I mostly agree with you as well, I have grown some very nice plants from both freebies and bag seed. I guess savings is savings, but the other costs associated with a grow are generally much higher and more consistent than seed costs. So while there is certainly value in free or cheap seeds it’s just not really going to save much money compared to other cost saving measures. I also have a small grow space without much room to experiment, so I am more inclined to just stick with premium breeders who have mostly done the guess work for me.

If I ever have the space and can start to do my own breeding then I will probably be buying all sorts of reg seeds on the cheap from places like Linda, but at that point it would be more about getting phenotype diversity than savings, so two birds one stone I guess.

Back