Jean-O's What The Fuck-Where’s My Dog Test Grow

GreeninNY

I try to grow things
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey all!

Day 06

Have one of each currently growing in 3 gallon cloth bags under a vivaspectra p1000 currently 20 inches above the bags running at ~55%.

soil: organic soil/perlite/spm/castings/kelp meal.

nutes will be msu 13 and flower fuel. Along with some molasses.

waiting on attempts for the other four to grow-struggling to germinate as only 2 of 6 total have grown thus far.

I germinate in a wet paper towel inside a ziplock that’s lives on the vent of a mac trash can computer. It’s been ideal really as it provides consistent heat-typically germinate in 24-48 hours, the two that grew matched that timeline. Then gently move to a seedling cup under a small grow light to monitor-then to it’s final home laced with the root fungus stuff that begins with M that I never can remember...I’m testing two additional non related seeds to confirm germination methods still work. If those fail as well I’ll enact a global change in my approach.

anyway-seedlings are now in the tent. WTF on screen left, Where’s My Dog on the right. 70-78°F with 50-60%RH (RH has fluxuated due to recent storms. I monitor temps via a SmartThings button as well as a local thermometer in the tent.

ED48D23E-3A04-415B-A51D-AFC89D2A8418.jpeg

Unfortunately only two of six made it.
One of each.
I started germinating two other seeds to test my process and thus far things are progressing. Just moved the two tests into seedling cups. will see if they stall or pop through. Same dirt. Same process. Same water.

Day 15

man…I feel awful about these...terrible results and I have to be the cause. I’d like to apologize To @Jean-O for such a poor showing.

where’s my dog is in a bad way. Tried watering it today to see if it can turn a corner.

what the fuck is growing! so there’s a positive in this!

i duplicated my germination process immediately after this and the two new seeds are growing in the same tent (in the 2 other pots I prepped for this test) I’m not sure what happened but it’s a bummer and I wanted to do this and document the grow...

it’s been 70-77 degrees in the tent, 50-65%RH

5380DB33-B416-4C1A-8998-6854DB873CD7.jpeg

EB8E9C2C-9166-4B2C-B40A-3A8E1CB5F937.jpeg

@Waira , @Mossy can either of you help identify what is going on????

Day 15

man…I feel awful about these...terrible results and I have to be the cause. I’d like to apologize To @Jean-O for such a poor showing.

where’s my dog is in a bad way. Tried watering it today to see if it can turn a corner.

what the fuck is growing! so there’s a positive in this!

i duplicated my germination process immediately after this and the two new seeds are growing in the same tent (in the 2 other pots I prepped for this test) I’m not sure what happened but it’s a bummer and I wanted to do this and document the grow...

it’s been 70-77 degrees in the tent, 50-65%RH

View attachment 1391017

View attachment 1391018
Hey buddy,

Try to put a humidity dome over the WMD. It looks like it doesn't like the low humidity.

:smokeout: hey y'all!

So, lessee here,..... green', the germ' temp, do you have that measured? We need to know that firstly. A caution on paper towels: some have a lot of processing chem's in them still, which I've found in the past cumulative hiccups of myself and others to very suspect in inconsistent germ' rates... Nothing "scientific", but the common link thing is in play i'd say.
I rinsed the PT pieces in pure water thoroughly; no more than a couple layers thick...
These days, I'm disinclined to go this route unless there's a good reason I need to hawk the germ'. Typically I scuff the seams and surface of the bean, then soak overnight in a weak fulvic acid solution, or until it sinks after poking it (if still floating).
Then I sow directly into Solo cups, placing where I can keep them in upper 70's-80F until they surface....

The non-germ's, did they crack at all? Or just pop and stall? Some seeds can be late germ'ers too, just Nature's way!
That seedling looks a bit ratty, like that from the start right? It's not uncommon to get some wonky seedlings, no matter the quality of genetics, etc.,... Each one is a little gamble! Breeders and hard core folks may often germ a few to several, grow them out a ways and picking the best of the lot, discarding the rest - :eek1:
But that's not an option for most folks who paid good $$ for them beans!

Also, your soil, I need more info on that: brand, how much enriching you did, and if you verified the pH of it before using and currently. Off-pH is the hobgoblin of many snafus :doh:....

I don’t have the germination temp measured-I put the seeds in the towel and bag on the vent of my computer. Typically seeds pop in 24/48 hours.

Organic soil (don’t recall brand, but from home depot) mixed with perlite/spm/kelp meal and worm castings. 30/30/30 of soil, perlite, and spm, with the last two added in splashes as I mix. I use the same dirt mix for all plants in each round to ensure there’s a consistency between plants. All containers in my second tent have the same dirt mix And are fed the same water and nutrients when ready.

the seeds popped and stalled. I germinated all seeds in the same way-had other breeder seeds in the round and they are growing. I replicated the process after the failures and the seedlings were successful and are in the same tent now. I waited for the second test round to germinate and confirm process, and sprout before I gave up on the seeds in question.

Its fairly Clear I broke something at some point-I just cannot identify the issue!

done! Question: so I can learn, what specifically do you see that speaks to humidity as an issue with the seedling?
The fact that the edges of your leaves are curling up, while the tips are curling down.
5380DB33-B416-4C1A-8998-6854DB873CD7.jpeg

I don’t have the germination temp measured-I put the seeds in the towel and bag on the vent of my computer. Typically seeds pop in 24/48 hours.

Organic soil (don’t recall brand, but from home depot) mixed with perlite/spm/kelp meal and worm castings. 30/30/30 of soil, perlite, and spm, with the last two added in splashes as I mix. I use the same dirt mix for all plants in each round to ensure there’s a consistency between plants. All containers in my second tent have the same dirt mix And are fed the same water and nutrients when ready.

the seeds popped and stalled. I germinated all seeds in the same way-had other breeder seeds in the round and they are growing. I replicated the process after the failures and the seedlings were successful and are in the same tent now. I waited for the second test round to germinate and confirm process, and sprout before I gave up on the seeds in question.

Its fairly Clear I broke something at some point-I just cannot identify the issue!
But when I read the above I'd say your soil is to hot. If you sow in soil I recommend using sowingsoil which has a very little amount of feed.
Keep the humidity dome over the seedling, but if the next set of leaves (which was already visible) doesn't expand in the next few days it's probably for the compost heap...

The fact that the edges of your leaves are curling up, while the tips are curling down.
View attachment 1391548

But when I read the above I'd say your soil is to hot. If you sow in soil I recommend using sowingsoil which has a very little amount of feed.
Keep the humidity dome over the seedling, but if the next set of leaves (which was already visible) doesn't expand in the next few days it's probably for the compost heap...

thanks for the image breakdown. Very helpful!!

as for the soil being too hot, I’ve been using the same mix outdoor during the summer and indoor now. There’s 5 other seedlings in the same batch (I mix in a bucket and then fill pots) that are chugging along. If my mix was hot, wouldn’t I have problems with other plants?

Back