switched to LED from HID and now im fighting high humidity

Reaction score
hi! first thread, i did use the search feature but tbh i find it pretty hard (autism probably doesnt help) so apologies if i've missed something.

so I recently switched (back) to LED from HPS and the humidity in my tent has jumped from 40-45% to 70 sometimes 75%! it was hovering around the early 60s which I wasn't too worried about but when I put a couple more pots in there it went to the 70s. I have 4 x 3 gal pots in there as well as a couple small seedling pots. Obviously the more i have the higher the humidity but I really didn't expect this much of a jump.

Will 70% humidity be a problem for late flower? Currently have 1 auto in mid flower and another about 1 week into preflower. The rest are seedlings.

Any suggestions/ideas on how to lower it? I thought about a dehumidifier, maybe on a timer, but im worried it may make things worse on the other end of the scale (too dry). Another suggestion I saw somewhere was to use a dehumidifier in the room that the tent is in. I have the tent in an old garage with super high ceilings, I'm not sure a dehumidifier in there would do much.
I thought maybe something like this:
5025587.png

And just keep refilling it as needed. Not sure how good this would be though.

Here's my set up for context

4x4 tent
250watt LED with Philips Lumileds diodes
AC Infinity Cloudline T4 inline fan (probably too small for my tent but all i could afford at the time)
12" Oscillating desk fan

Thanks in advance :)

I use a t4 in a 4x4 in my garage. It's plenty of fan to suck the walls in. I keep my dehumidifier with a digital control on it outside the tent AMD it runs whenever it needs to. If your garage is drier then inside the tent, you can just turn up your extraction fan and open up some vents at the bottom. If you need to put the dehumidifier inside the tent you can get an inkbird controller and it'll moderate it for you

I use a t4 in a 4x4 in my garage. It's plenty of fan to suck the walls in. I keep my dehumidifier with a digital control on it outside the tent AMD it runs whenever it needs to. If your garage is drier then inside the tent, you can just turn up your extraction fan and open up some vents at the bottom. If you need to put the dehumidifier inside the tent you can get an inkbird controller and it'll moderate it for you

Thank you. I never thought about an inkbird controller... good idea, does it work with just a dehumidifier or does it need a humidifier as well?

You are talking about dealing with gallons of water and that absorbent will not stand a chance.

Is the Garage vented? Check the RH of the garage. If it is high you have no chance in the tent. Venting the garage is the first option unless RH outdoors is too high. Get a big dehumidifier for the garage but be mindful of the power usage. It will cost an arm and a leg to run for very long.

Build a tent around your tent and just dehumidify it?

I run an 8" fan in an 4x6 space. It is on a temperature controller because heat is my biggest problem where I live. It does not have to run full out often but it does.

You are talking about dealing with gallons of water and that absorbent will not stand a chance.

Is the Garage vented? Check the RH of the garage. If it is high you have no chance in the tent. Venting the garage is the first option unless RH outdoors is too high. Get a big dehumidifier for the garage but be mindful of the power usage. It will cost an arm and a leg to run for very long.

Build a tent around your tent and just dehumidify it?

I run an 8" fan in an 4x6 space. It is on a temperature controller because heat is my biggest problem where I live. It does not have to run full out often but it does.

Thanks for the ideas :)

I'm checking the RH of the garage, it's vented. just a dingey old kiwi garage lol. Building a tent around the tent isn't really an option, bit extreme for a hobby + it's already hard enough convincing the landlords I grow "peppers" hahah.

Gonna look into the inkbird controller. Otherwise I guess i can just switch back to HPS (boo)

Thanks for the ideas :)

I'm checking the RH of the garage, it's vented. just a dingey old kiwi garage lol. Building a tent around the tent isn't really an option, bit extreme for a hobby + it's already hard enough convincing the landlords I grow "peppers" hahah.

Gonna look into the inkbird controller. Otherwise I guess i can just switch back to HPS (boo)
The lights are not causing the high humidity directly. It is just the plants are finally growing.

The lights are not causing the high humidity directly. It is just the plants are finally growing.

It's interesting, when i was running HPS, RH never went over 50%, regardless of what stage the plants were at. usually hovering around 45%.
I always thought it was the heat from the bulb drying the tent out.

It's interesting, when i was running HPS, RH never went over 50%, regardless of what stage the plants were at. usually hovering around 45%.
I always thought it was the heat from the bulb drying the tent out.
You are right about the heat but it does not dry the air, the water is still there. What was the ambient temperature then, remember that the RH stands for relative humidity hotter air holds more water.

Air with the same amount of water in it at different temperatures.

2023-01-30_12-48-36.jpg
2023-01-30_12-46-33.jpg

It is a difficult concept to understand.

I hope this helps.

You are right about the heat but it does not dry the air, the water is still there. What was the ambient temperature then, remember that the RH stands for relative humidity hotter air holds more water.

Air with the same amount of water in it at different temperatures.

View attachment 1560702View attachment 1560703

It is a difficult concept to understand.

I hope this helps.

It is a difficult concept to understand... I don't know if i'm even quoting the right number now lol. The humidity level on my AC Infinity controller, is that not RH?

Back