Sickly leaves showing themselves

Raggedy Man

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Problem: Sickly, spotted, drying leaves

Medium/grow method: RDWC, hydroton

Feed and supplements used: Full complement of General Hydroponics Flora Series line-up minus the Rapid Start. Their (GH’s) recommended mix at nearly 50% (450ppm currently). The current mix is the week 6 (mid bloom) formula:
7.5ml micro
2.5 ml gro
10ml bloom
2.5 Liquid Kool Bloom
1ml Floralicious Plus
2.5 Armor Si
5ml Diamond Nectar
5ml FloraBlend
5ml Cal Mag
5ml Flora Nectar

I have been topping off this last couple of days with week 7 formula which adds 2.5ml of bloom and 5ml more of FloraNectar. I do this because the affected plants are further ahead so I gradually increase the bloom nutes to appease them.

Water source: County water supply. ppm 80 (.5 scale). Ph 8.2

Strain/age: Tyson Auto. Starting week 7 in a few days

Light used: 2 Mars hydro tsw2000, 24/7

Climate: Temps 68-80f. Humidity +/- 60%

Additional info: This is a 6 plant grow, 3 Tyson and 3 White Widow. The plant affected most (Tyson) is ahead of the other plants but they were all started at the same time. The other Tyson’s are starting to show the same but not near as bad. The Widow’s are fine.
Ph has been steady at 6.1 as I’ve been anticipating the “drop of flowering” I fight each grow. I am now dropping it ever so slowly.

Pictures in comment cause I have to use laptop to post this and phone for pics

The last 3 pics are just kind of the entire grow for reference. The 4th picture is the Tyson half of the grow. The other 2 are the taller, but less mature WW.

Attachments

• 20201026_195754.jpg
    20201026_195754.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • 20201026_195702.jpg
    20201026_195702.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20201026_195500.jpg
    20201026_195500.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20201026_195714.jpg
    20201026_195714.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 20201026_195729.jpg
    20201026_195729.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20201026_195727.jpg
    20201026_195727.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20201026_195733.jpg
    20201026_195733.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Solution temperature is 63f
I know solution temps should be as close to 68f as possible, that’s when it holds the most oxygen. I would also work to control the ph starting off at 8.2 is way to high for hydro should be close to 6.5-6.8. Biggest part of growing is the environment, you seem to have 2 things that could be improved for you root environment. I would start there.

I know solution temps should be as close to 68f as possible, that’s when it holds the most oxygen. I would also work to control the ph starting off at 8.2 is way to high for hydro should be close to 6.5-6.8. Biggest part of growing is the environment, you seem to have 2 things that could be improved for you root environment. I would start there.
Thanks for the feedback. The water qualities listed is what I took to be the "source". I start off with those values out the spigot and adjust from there. I have always started grows at 6.4 and let it fall from there through veg

Thanks for the feedback. The water qualities listed is what I took to be the "source". I start off with those values out the spigot and adjust from there. I have always started grows at 6.4 and let it fall from there through veg
You can start to lose iron and other metals at PH above 6.4 so running there gives you no leeway. I run all hydro at 5.7 to 6.2 This gives me a couple of points on either side in case I have a stoner moment. My target PH is 5.8.

If you only have one plant showing that lock-out of some type? Welcome to the club! I grow 6 plants off 1 reservoir and often one girl will just be fussy as all get out.

I personally believe and grow autos 18/6. I just get a better vibe from my plants that way. anaug.gif

Some of the leaves are drying and crunchy, perhaps it's reaching maturity and slowly dying off but the spotty, crunchy discolored leaves are worrisome. The others are not as mature although they are the same age. Some have a bit of the same but not near as bad. I did raise the temp of the solution to 66f and the solution is more of the "bloom" mix (GH rdwc "recipe") than was originally posted. The pictures are from today.

Attachments

• 20201102_182510.jpg
    20201102_182510.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20201102_182506.jpg
    20201102_182506.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
:toke:-- symptoms look like a strange micronute issue, maybe B or Mn,... showing first and worst at the tops?
Very odd, if it's only the Tyson cultivar doing it to various degrees, none one the Wid's... this smacks of hiccup with this cultivar I believe,... not unusual at all!
...first, your tap water: 80ppm, and pH is 8.2? ..this is rather alkaline for such soft water... Is you pH meter calibrated recently, never dried out, stored properly? I have to ask because it's a common source of error....

The fix is a tougher call,... for sure, the pH of the res' solution is a bit too high, no wiggle room for drift.... and worse, in hydro, very small changes in range can make for bitchy availabilty and uptake; several nute elements (micro's in particular) are already poorly available even under good pH....-->
1604376410191.png

...... could be that tyson simply needs more micronutes that what's in the current regiment (also not unusual).... Look into Earth Juice Microblast, and fulvic acid.... ph lowering aside, I hesitate messing with the feeds much since the Wid's are doing just fine,... Adding extra micro's and fulvics won't hurt the Wid's, and might help the Tysons'....

:toke:-- symptoms look like a strange micronute issue, maybe B or Mn,... showing first and worst at the tops?
Very odd, if it's only the Tyson cultivar doing it to various degrees, none one the Wid's... this smacks of hiccup with this cultivar I believe,... not unusual at all!
...first, your tap water: 80ppm, and pH is 8.2? ..this is rather alkaline for such soft water... Is you pH meter calibrated recently, never dried out, stored properly? I have to ask because it's a common source of error....

The fix is a tougher call,... for sure, the pH of the res' solution is a bit too high, no wiggle room for drift.... and worse, in hydro, very small changes in range can make for bitchy availabilty and uptake; several nute elements (micro's in particular) are already poorly available even under good pH....-->
View attachment 1249627

...... could be that tyson simply needs more micronutes that what's in the current regiment (also not unusual).... Look into Earth Juice Microblast, and fulvic acid.... ph lowering aside, I hesitate messing with the feeds much since the Wid's are doing just fine,... Adding extra micro's and fulvics won't hurt the Wid's, and might help the Tysons'....
Yes, mostly in the tops. I've noticed some of the less mature Tyson's are starting also, maybe it is these particular ones although I grew them last grow w/o all this occurring, from the same package of seeds.
I've always thought my tap water was a bit "off" but it was the same years ago when I was growing (I started again last October after a 5 or 6 year break). I use a bluelab gaurdian monitor and have an apera ph pen (stored in Apera storage solution) both are calibrated monthly. Ph is currently 5.8 +/-. I'll be ordering the mentioned nutrients today.
Thank you for your help.

Back