Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Day 13 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
Hey Friends :toke:

I've been running the girls kinda hard as of lately and this is starting to show. Running 24/7 with the lights at more then the normal DLI, an super spot-on VPD and double the normal CO²...Some girls are showing this in some leafcurl...
1695752563520 _resized.jpg

After watering the pots thoroughly they soon recuperate, showing the importance of the right amount of water available to the rootsystem.
1695752563525 _resized.jpg

The color's are spot-on and all the girls (except one mutant) are looking freakin' healthy. 👌
1695752563532 _resized.jpg

I'm also lucky with the backcross results as the majority of the plants looks very similar qua height and stature. A few exceptions aside I'm currently favoring the smaller plants. Numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 & 15 will be kept for future breeding. Out of 12 plants there should be enough males and females to further filter my selection.
I will be keeping the females that don't make the cut for procreation...We want to keep it fun right? :baked:
1695752563537 _resized.jpg

To end Today's post here's another time lapse. Speed = 30fps, duration = 58 hours.
As you can see the results from the Boom Boom Spray treatment is still having it's effect...Oh, look at 'm grow... :pop:
Anyway...Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Bob :toke:

Last edited:
Hey Friends :toke:

I've been running the girls kinda hard as of lately and this is starting to show. Running 24/7 with the lights at more then the normal DLI, an super spot-on VPD and double the normal CO²...Some girls are showing this in some leafcurl...
View attachment 1634652

After watering the pots thoroughly they soon recuperate, showing the importance of the right amount of water available to the rootsystem.
View attachment 1634653

The color's are spot-on and all the girls (except one mutant) are looking freakin' healthy. 👌
View attachment 1634654

I'm also lucky with the backcross results as the majority of the plants looks very similar qua height and stature. A few exceptions aside I'm currently favoring the smaller plants. Numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 & 15 will be kept for future breeding. Out of 12 plants there should be enough males and females to further filter my selection.
I will be keeping the females that don't make the cut for procreation...We want to keep it fun right? :baked:
View attachment 1634657

To end Today's post here's another time lapse. Speed = 30fps, duration = 58 hours.
As you can see the results from the Boom Boom Spray treatment is still having it's effect...Oh, look at 'm grow... :pop:
Anyway...Enjoy :thanks:
View attachment 1634643

Regards,

Look at those ladies wiggling away ;)

Day 15 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
Look at those ladies wiggling away ;)
It's fun to look at them this way isn't it :vibe:
But you can also learn from that. Like what color the soil has when the plants are growing the fastest...Been watering these last two days according to what I see in the time lapses and I'm able to keep the massive growth at high pace. :thumbsup:
I've also resprayed the plants with Boom Boom Spray today, which dried up in about an hour...and after which the plants continued there expanse.
1695922514347 _small.jpg

Looking from the side you can see the evenness in the canopy. Just a few that are sticking out...
1695922514339 _small.jpg

The pictures suck, I know...The lights are to blame, lol. My phone's camera can't handle that amount of light...Neither can my eyes, so I bought me a pair of sunglasses for the growroom. It filters out some spectrum and lowers the brightness quite a bit.
1695922514375 _small.jpg

No sexing yet you guys...But have a look at those short internodes...The smudges on the leaves is from the Boom Boom Spray, they will disappear in a couple of days as the leaves expand.
1695922514367 _small.jpg

I'm liking this style of growing quite a lot and when dialed in perfectly you can achieve quite some growth in a short period of time.
1695922514395 _small.jpg

Fifteen days old Today you guys...
1695922514401 _small.jpg

The values inside the tent are also doing very well if I may say so. VPD is already around 0.90kPa. The CO² is staying on the high side, but from what I've read, anything below 5000ppm can't hurt the plants, but might make me sleepy...😴:haha:
Lights are running at 60%, but because the canopy gets higher it also get's closer to the light and so the DLI goes up...from 29 to 33...
1695922514328 _small.jpg

Ok, enough statistics and theories...Time for some more wiggly wiggly...:vibe:
Speed = 30fps, duration 47 hours. Enjoy :thanks:

Regards,

Day 18 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
@Redeye Master, thanks again for the rep buddy!! :pass:
Today I tried to show you guys how high the light is actually hanging above the canopy..
1696110349447 _small.jpg

...This gloriously failed as you still haven't got a clue what the distance was...I couldn't find a roll meter or something similar, so I took a piece of string, measured the highest, lowest point and divided this...Which resulted on average 50cm / 20inch between the led and canopy. :thumbsup:
Oh and the light still has about 30cm/12inch left to go up...So I think I'm covered with this cultivar.
1696110349438 _small.jpg

I've also been playing with the camera settings from my phone, please bear in mind that I'm colorblind, so if anything is wrong, please don't be a dick and point this out to me so I can prevent that in the future :thanks:
1696110349434 _small.jpg

The day before yesterday I noticed an explosion in fungus gnats flying around in the tent. They've been there since day one, but were being taken under control by the rest of the Organics in the soil. Probably because of my watering style the gnats have emerged the victors as their larvae state loves wet soil conditions.
1696110349427 _small.jpg

So I treated the soil with some Spinosad. I diluted 0.6ml of the product into 1L water, which is 25% less then recommended for cabbage worms...
As usual, within a couple of hours the gnats were superactive simply to weather away by the the time I went looking this morning.
1696110349421 _small.jpg

Thursday the last generation of eggs should come out and by then the larvea will pupate to flies. It's then I should reaply the product to kill the new generation of flies before they copulate and lay eggs. Then I'll have to wait for five days one last time and reapply to get rid of the last generation of flies that will pupate.
1696110349416 _small.jpg

The cool thing about the Spinosad is that it only works on legged insects (also bee's I'm afraid to say, but we don't have many in the tent these days) and that the molecules break up in about three days.
1696110349411 _small.jpg

Since I only gave the ladies 1L water divided over 16 pots, I turned everything down to a VPD of 0.80kPa, which gave the plants the necessary time to slow down and let the product do it's thing inside first few centimeters of the soil.
1696110349407 _small.jpg

This morning I regretted my idea as the VPD had completely dropped to below 0.72...I quickly adjusted the settings and even needed a fan setting of 16% to get everything stable. That was quite the adjustment :yoinks:
1696110349402 _small.jpg

Oh, I also found this one leaf. Only one...The underside has no scars or anything. Anyone an idea?
1696110349392 _small.jpg

One last overview shot before we go towards Today's time lapse...
1696110349386 _small.jpg

Speed = 30fps, duration = 64 hours. Please enjoy!! :thanks:

Regards,

@Redeye Master, thanks again for the rep buddy!! :pass:
Today I tried to show you guys how high the light is actually hanging above the canopy..
View attachment 1635774

...This gloriously failed as you still haven't got a clue what the distance was...I couldn't find a roll meter or something similar, so I took a piece of string, measured the highest, lowest point and divided this...Which resulted on average 50cm / 20inch between the led and canopy. :thumbsup:
Oh and the light still has about 30cm/12inch left to go up...So I think I'm covered with this cultivar.
View attachment 1635775

I've also been playing with the camera settings from my phone, please bear in mind that I'm colorblind, so if anything is wrong, please don't be a dick and point this out to me so I can prevent that in the future :thanks:
View attachment 1635776

The day before yesterday I noticed an explosion in fungus gnats flying around in the tent. They've been there since day one, but were being taken under control by the rest of the Organics in the soil. Probably because of my watering style the gnats have emerged the victors as their larvae state loves wet soil conditions.
View attachment 1635777

So I treated the soil with some Spinosad. I diluted 0.6ml of the product into 1L water, which is 25% less then recommended for cabbage worms...
As usual, within a couple of hours the gnats were superactive simply to weather away by the the time I went looking this morning.
View attachment 1635778

Thursday the last generation of eggs should come out and by then the larvea will pupate to flies. It's then I should reaply the product to kill the new generation of flies before they copulate and lay eggs. Then I'll have to wait for five days one last time and reapply to get rid of the last generation of flies that will pupate.
View attachment 1635779

The cool thing about the Spinosad is that it only works on legged insects (also bee's I'm afraid to say, but we don't have many in the tent these days) and that the molecules break up in about three days.
View attachment 1635780

Since I only gave the ladies 1L water divided over 16 pots, I turned everything down to a VPD of 0.80kPa, which gave the plants the necessary time to slow down and let the product do it's thing inside first few centimeters of the soil.
View attachment 1635781

This morning I regretted my idea as the VPD had completely dropped to below 0.72...I quickly adjusted the settings and even needed a fan setting of 16% to get everything stable. That was quite the adjustment :yoinks:
View attachment 1635782

Oh, I also found this one leaf. Only one...The underside has no scars or anything. Anyone an idea?
View attachment 1635784

One last overview shot before we go towards Today's time lapse...
View attachment 1635785

Speed = 30fps, duration = 64 hours. Please enjoy!! :thanks:
View attachment 1635786

Regards,

amazing.

Day 19 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
Thanks for the kind comments you guys!!
This morning I found the first signs of sex in some plants. Found a couple of males and females...the rest is sure to follow in the coming days. :thumbsup:
1696231497413 _small.jpg

1696231497410 _small.jpg

1696231497402 _small.jpg

1696231497396 _small.jpg

1696231497393 _small.jpg

1696231497388 _small.jpg

1696231497385 _small.jpg

1696231497382 _small.jpg

1696231497378 _small.jpg

1696231497374 _small.jpg

1696231497363 _small.jpg

Regards,

Day 20 - Junk Dealer's Wedding
Hey friends :toke:

I'm back into research modus you guys...Just learned I lost my sponsorship with BioTabs. Damn, that meant a whole lot to me...But I've learned something about Organic growing while using their nutrient line, so I'll be alright :shrug: :haha:
Not a bad word about BioTabs, people!! It's a product I stand behind and recommend to anyone, but sadly can't afford. That's where the sponsorship came into play...But alas, all good things must come to an end I guess...

Karel, if you read this. You've got my respect my man!! Peace.

Anywho....let's continue with this breeding thing, right? That's what we're here for :woohoo1::woohoo::woohoo1:

This morning I sprayed the plants again with the Boom Boom Spray. At day 20 this is their third treatment and I don't see any complaint at the moment.
1696329638147 _small.jpg

I mixed up 1ml of Boom Boom Spray with 200ml water, which is just enough to give the entire tent a complete wash with the mixture and have nothing left to go to waste...
1696329638154 _small.jpg

1696329638158 _small.jpg

There must be some surfactant in the product as beading isn't a factor when spraying with the product.
1696329638162 _small.jpg

1696329638168 _small.jpg

Before such a dowsing I always remove my sensor array. It doesn't like to become wet 🔌⚡ :coffee2::haha:
Then sprayed every plant from top to bottom and then some. :thumbsup:
1696329638171 _small.jpg

I took this picture to show you guys how much headroom I still have for these plants. Quite some room for the coming stretch, don't you think so?
Sidenote: The powerstrip is controllable via my smartphone. Each 240 plug can be turned on/off separately, only the USB plugs can't be switched separately, but then I need a constant supply of 5V for all the sensors and esp devices inside and around the tent.
1696362078362 _small.jpg

Yesterday I gave the plants 2.5L water and Today, about an hour after the Boom Boom event I noticed the VPD getting to high, which could only mean one thing...The plants needed water. So I went to the tent and low and behold...They were dry, at least the soil looked dry.
Oh and my trusty AFN sticker in the background ♥ So happy you guys are always here for us :bighug:I wish I could have done more...
1696362078366 _small.jpg

So instead of sitting there for half an hour watering with that little tubing, which works fine, but I can't see sh!t through that canopy anymore and the pots are to low for my back to start fiddling around in there. So, I removed one pot and dumped the entire 5L jug with water into the 60x60cm tray the pots are sitting in.
1696362078372 _small.jpg

Half an hour later the water was gone and only a couple of wet spots remained on the tray floor.
1696362078377 _small.jpg

I've also raised the action camera so today was a good moment to end this time lapse just before that moment. Next one will be shot from higher up....whoohoooo, mind you...people with acrophobia... ;)
Speed = 30fps, duration = 56 hours. Enjoy:thanks:

Regards,

Back