Lighting What's the best lighting cycle for autos - 24/0, 20/4 or 18/6

What is the best lighting cycle for autos?

• Total voters
Thanks for your input. So, I'm still a little confused about LIGHTING. I dont have the extra cash to replace the lights I already use. When we, me especially, look to enter into growing there are so many questions that need to be answered. Think about it, the list is pretty long. I won't get into the struggles of a first timer like myself.
I started growing in June of 2019. I bought my tent, ventilation system, and after a lot of searching I bought 2 Viparspectra p1000 lights. My tent is a 2x4x5. At that time I didn't really know anything about how to choose the lights best for my situation. I read on the forum that wattage can be determined by multiplying the sq ft of the tent x 30 or 40, and following that it looks like I am lacking. Im pretty sure that I should upgrade my lights. I feel really dumb about this and would love to hear for anyone with suggestions.
We all were dumb when we start out. I and you were fortunate to have found AFN.I followed one person and as this is a journey and not a destination we can get overwhelmed and confused. I have a 5x5 tent so it is 25sf. You have a 2x4 so you have 8 sf. I have 650 total watts and you have, from what I saw on web, about 100 watts per light or 200 total. So 200 watts divided by 8 = 25 watts per foot. I am at 26 watts per foot. So I believe you have enough light. It will take love and a desire to learn. Follow one person and stick with that. Too often people hop from one thread to another looking for the "holy grail" grow one way and learn. Then when you make a change ONLY change one thing !!!! or else you will be in a possible tail spin. Hang in there and love the girls and they will love you back.

Their add say they only use 100 watts from the wall outlet per light. So this is their wattage, not a 1000. So 2 lights at 100 = 200 total. This is the only way to measure wattage, From the watts used from the wall.

Last edited:
24 hour lighting until she stop to stretch, then 20/4 the rest of the time.
That works for me and gives me big plants with green leafs all the way to harvest.

Well, i skipped a few pages, but will toss out a couple of thinkin things.

A cool period, such as what happens with some 'lights out', is supposed to be a factor in stretch. Three or four degrees cooler times are said to promote stretch. Thinking about that, i wonder if 'bigger plants' is because of the stretch. How does this affect the plant and final yield? Does the plant put energy into the stretch growth, that would otherwise be put into leaf or bud or budsite growth? Does more stretch allow for better light penetration and airflow (yes), but would the results be better without the time and energy going into stretch growth? Would dropping the temp for a bit in 24 hours of lights on scenario help or harm final results? I would think that IF the humidity and ventilation was okay for the plant, that i would prefer the growth to go to other stuff besides stem.

But, there are other factors to consider. I'm have bad eyesight, so being able to see what is going on with the plant (being a little stretchy) could be a help with looking for bugs or gunk.

Also, i was thinking that when 'developing' an auto strain, that 24 hours would sure be a factor in being certain that an auto is not just a quicker photoperiod plant.

In addition, some people like that there is no problem with 'light leaks' if going 24 hours of light. (Which has been mentioned) One of the advantages of autos is that for people with limited resources for tents, etc, autos are the answer. I love the idea that autos are so very 'adaptable' to so many situations. What works best for one person, may not be right for the next.

Do you have a source for that information? I've never heard of cool temps promoting stretch, in fact, just the opposite.

And the number one factor in indoor lighting period should be based on how much light your lamp produces. If your getting 800-100 PPF at the canopy, Beyond 1000 PPF you gain nothing unless you supplement with CO2.
18 hours is plenty at 1000 PPF. Plants have a saturation point and when that's met, photosynthesis slows down. There are apps that you can use on your phone that are PAR meters and are accurate enough to use to adjust your lights with rather than guessing what height to place the light at.

Well, i skipped a few pages, but will toss out a couple of thinkin things.

A cool period, such as what happens with some 'lights out', is supposed to be a factor in stretch. Three or four degrees cooler times are said to promote stretch. Thinking about that, i wonder if 'bigger plants' is because of the stretch. How does this affect the plant and final yield? Does the plant put energy into the stretch growth, that would otherwise be put into leaf or bud or budsite growth? Does more stretch allow for better light penetration and airflow (yes), but would the results be better without the time and energy going into stretch growth? Would dropping the temp for a bit in 24 hours of lights on scenario help or harm final results? I would think that IF the humidity and ventilation was okay for the plant, that i would prefer the growth to go to other stuff besides stem.

But, there are other factors to consider. I'm have bad eyesight, so being able to see what is going on with the plant (being a little stretchy) could be a help with looking for bugs or gunk.

Also, i was thinking that when 'developing' an auto strain, that 24 hours would sure be a factor in being certain that an auto is not just a quicker photoperiod plant.

In addition, some people like that there is no problem with 'light leaks' if going 24 hours of light. (Which has been mentioned) One of the advantages of autos is that for people with limited resources for tents, etc, autos are the answer. I love the idea that autos are so very 'adaptable' to so many situations. What works best for one person, may not be right for the next.

I'm growing without a dark period right now because I need the heat 24/7. During my fall & spring grows, I run at 20/4. I know it's not proven, but I like the ideal that a dark period produces more terps. That's why I give my girls a 48 hour dark period before chop also! :pass:

I understand that, and yep, beats running a heater! The dark period though, I'm skeptical.

I'm growing without a dark period right now because I need the heat 24/7. During my fall & spring grows, I run at 20/4. I know it's not proven, but I like the ideal that a dark period produces more terps. That's why I give my girls a 48 hour dark period before chop also! :pass:

@pop22 Well, maybe it is just an old wives' tale, and i don't even know if i can find the info, it's been a while. But, i will look. Anyway, the subject of those discussions was about plants that...i dunno the correct term...but there is no stretch and all the leaves/buds want to grow at one spot, sort of choking. Supposedly, to get them out of that, was to lower temps in the dark time...not much, not too cold. I took it as a known thing, and it was years ago, probably under different lights than we have, currently.

Thanks for the phone app. info. I had no idea.

So, are you saying that with autos, that after 18 hours,and given more light, that the slowed photosynthesis is some sort of waste, or bad thing? I don't know how to process that info. Does it mean something like, when i'm saturated with vitamin D, i don't need the sun anymore? Or is it more like 'overdrive' on a vehicle (if you are old enough to remember that) and things can just coast happily along, with less power?

Back