What type of water would you use and how?

Reaction score
Hello. I’ve always used bottled spring water until now. I want to try another source. I read some articles about this but Im lost in the views a little bit. I had PH and EC meters. Im potting my plants to the soil and using liquid fertilizers (Canna Terra Series). I would like to here your opinions and experiences for my system.

Firstly I wonder what would you think about using rain water? Winter is coming soon and I wonder how safe to use it? I m living in a pretty huge city. So I ve no idea about the rain water quality. But I can collect it it daily base. It may be pretty sustainable for me. I usually growing a couple of plants at once.

Of course other source is tap. I ve pitcher filtering system that I can use. You may heard Brita products.
A quote for those who haven’t use the product.
A standart Brita filter works like a sieve, using carbon to lower mercury content and reduce the taste and smell of chlorine. Brita filters also contain an ion-exchange resin to filter zinc, copper, and cadmium.

What are your experiences about those sources? Which one would you go and how would you use? As an option I may filter rain water too. I dont care about the cost of filtering since I ve pretty cheap source for it.

Hello. I’ve always used bottled spring water until now. I want to try another source. I read some articles about this but Im lost in the views a little bit. I had PH and EC meters. Im potting my plants to the soil and using liquid fertilizers (Canna Terra Series). I would like to here your opinions and experiences for my system.

Firstly I wonder what would you think about using rain water? Winter is coming soon and I wonder how safe to use it? I m living in a pretty huge city. So I ve no idea about the rain water quality. But I can collect it it daily base. It may be pretty sustainable for me. I usually growing a couple of plants at once.

Of course other source is tap. I ve pitcher filtering system that I can use. You may heard Brita products.

What are your experiences about those sources? Which one would you go and how would you use? As an option I may filter rain water too. I dont care about the cost of filtering since I ve pretty cheap source for it.

I use a RO system but my tap water is really shity 300-400ppm. I hear about folks using rain water and love it but I have no experience. If your tap water is <200ppm I would just use that after gasing off the chorine

I would check your tap PPM/pH and decide from there. In a huge city, the rain water should be better than the tap I would think, don't quote me on that one lol.

Never played around with the brita stuff, but had plenty of success with RO. Switched back to tap after having the plumbing redone in my house(luckily around 50ppm now).

I use a RO system but my tap water is really shity 300-400ppm. I hear about folks using rain water and love it but I have no experience. If your tap water is <200ppm I would just use that after gasing off the chorine
thank you. I'll check it out

Rain Water is fine to substitute RO, but you may have a lot of unwanted larvae or spores etc in it for an indoor grow, depending on how you collect it.
Wouldn't use it indoors without treatment.
A suitable mix of RO and Tap is my way to go.

I suggest use rainwater if it tests at low ppm/EC and is easy to collect and store. I wouldn't worry about sterility/plant pathogens, with the plants in nature repeated rained on and their roots essentially constantly exposed to rainwater (which will contain a sampling of microbes in the air). I'd be more concerned about insect larvae (add a Bt insecticide to collected water). But just to be careful (likely overdoing it) for human consumption sanitize the water, such as treat with H2O2, bleach, run it through a proper filter, etc.

Or use RO/DI (or just RO) water, such as invest in an entry level RO/Di filtration system, in $60 range as I recall. With all the filtering of the water, besides being 'pure,' it is relatively sterile (likely less microbes vs. tap water) , and you can drink, cook, etc. with RO water without treatment or concerns (other than make sure your diet includes enough Ca, Mg, if you normally get a lot of this from your water).

Last edited:
Back