DIY Venting Through a Window with a Polycarbonate Sheet

tronN00dles

"tron"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Cheese XXL by Dinafem
Hey folks,

Here’s a neat little way to vent out of a window if you need to. Full disclosure, I don’t actually vent my grow tent outside like this as I do not live in an area where I can leave a window open all the time (I’d freeze to death in the winter lol).

Instead, I use this in my bedroom to vent a portable air conditioner outside in the summer. It’s a sheet of polycarbonate, similar to plexiglass, that I cut to size to replace the flyscreen out of a casement window. I cut a 6” hole in this and attached a plastic circular flange to which I can attach the duct from my portable AC unit:

1624829616465.png
1624829643951.png

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for sharing this. I'm trying to move my tent into another room, but for ventilation I need to go out a window. As it turns out, the accessible windows are all casements as well - which has had me scratching my head for the last couple days. I actually came to ask for advice when I found your thread. :)

Would you mind sharing some detail around how you fit this to replace the fly screen insert? Seems like maybe it required something special to cut so precise.

Thanks again!

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I'm trying to move my tent into another room, but for ventilation I need to go out a window. As it turns out, the accessible windows are all casements as well - which has had me scratching my head for the last couple days. I actually came to ask for advice when I found your thread. :)

Would you mind sharing some detail around how you fit this to replace the fly screen insert? Seems like maybe it required something special to cut so precise.

Thanks again!

Glad I could help!

I purchased the polycarbonate sheet from Amazon. I just went with the "next size up" from my window measurements, and ended up having to trim a few inches off the width and length to get it to fit. I used a jigsaw to do this, using a high-speed bit intended for cutting steel. Note, the polycarbonate line you cut will melt and when you stop cutting, the plastic will harden and essentially ruin your bit. It took 2 bits to cut it to size, and they're essentially ruined, unless some day I decide to try to melt the plastic out of the grooves lol.

As for the hole, I used a 6" bi-metal hole saw attached to a cordless drill - this one I didn't ruin fortunately, because 6" hole-saws aren't cheap lol, at least compared to jigsaw bits!

The 6" plastic flange was also from Amazon, which I attached to the polycarbonate with 4 small nuts and bolts.

The flyscreen that came with my window has built in clips, so to attach the polycarbonate to my window, I went to my local hardware store and bought some plastic/nylon flyscreen clips to screw directly into my vinyl window frame. I got more of these than you'd typically see with a flyscreen to reinforce the polycarbonate - we get a fair bit of wind my way.

Anyhow, it works great. If it gets too windy, I might close the window and shut it down just incase it were to buckle/crack. Apparently polycarbonate is better suited for this task rather than acrylic/plexiglass, which may shatter and be a bit more dangerous. The main thing is being mindful of my cat, who tends to walk on the top of the AC unit and might accidentally turn it on when the window is closed - good way to burn out the motor lol.

My grow tent in my closet currently has a carbon filter and ducting that goes up into my attic then down into my ensuite bathroom through an air diffuser. I bought a second sheet of polycarbonate to essentially have the option of venting that outside from my bathroom should I so desire in the future. For now, I let the bathroom exhaust + HVAC return + extra dehumidifier in my bathroom take care of the exhaust from the tent, and I don't actually exhaust outside at all. So far so good.

Cheers,

tronN00dles

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Here’s a neat little way to vent out of a window if you need to. Full disclosure, I don’t actually vent my grow tent outside like this as I do not live in an area where I can leave a window open all the time (I’d freeze to death in the winter lol).

Instead, I use this in my bedroom to vent a portable air conditioner outside in the summer. It’s a sheet of polycarbonate, similar to plexiglass, that I cut to size to replace the flyscreen out of a casement window. I cut a 6” hole in this and attached a plastic circular flange to which I can attach the duct from my portable AC unit:

View attachment 1335896 View attachment 1335897
ultra cool bro i also have one of them circular things to send my tent ducting up to my loft or attic but i also own a portable air con i only use it occasionally being in the uk but id love to be able to attach that to my window but i wouldnt know how to without messing it up and the wife killing me

ultra cool bro i also have one of them circular things to send my tent ducting up to my loft or attic but i also own a portable air con i only use it occasionally being in the uk but id love to be able to attach that to my window but i wouldnt know how to without messing it up and the wife killing me

I feel ya. I also need approval from the wife before I start drilling holes in walls/ceilings, or start attaching shit to windows lol. Fortunately she's a bigger stoner than I am, so as long as it works, is tidy, and helps the dope production, she's usually onboard! :joy:

-tronN00dles

Back