Ventilation system controller (smart vs dumb)

Reaction score
I'm building my first indoor grow setup. Looking at options from Mars-Hydro, Spider Farmer, and AC Infinity. Can I dial in a speed controller fairly easily, or is a smart controller that senses temp and humidity worth the extra $? Does anyone have a strong preference for one brand over the others? The ventilation system will be for a Mars-Hydro FC 6500 in a 4x4 tent.

I’m using ac infinity. The upgraded controller will allow fans to run independent to one another. Something to consider. And the vpd information is key. If you can dial in vpd your grow will produce amazingly. Im a fan no pun intended

I'll third the AC Infinity setup. I have two and waiting on a third controller, fan, filter setup. Very easy to use and program. Absolutely reliable so far.

IMO, temp/humidity control is better left to actual heater/humidifier/dehumidifier controllers rather than exhaust fan controllers. I use a "smart" AC Infinity controller with my exhaust fan, but I pretty well leave it in manual speed and adjust regularly as required. The actual temp/humidity in my tent is controlled by an Inkbird controller which acts as an on/off controller for a space heater and a humidifier. Controlling temp/humidity with an exhaust fan is not easy, at least not for my environment, and I can't get the same level of precision as a I could with a dedicated InkBird controller.

EDIT: Looks like modern AC infinity controllers can also control heaters and humidifiers? Looks like I'm behind the times :crying:

I run both. An inkbird for the on/off on the humidifier and heater, and then let the AC exhaust fan manage exhaust speed to vent if things get out of range. Basically just set the upper limit on the AC controller. Their new stuff that can control everything do look quite nice.

I'm building my first indoor grow setup. Looking at options from Mars-Hydro, Spider Farmer, and AC Infinity. Can I dial in a speed controller fairly easily, or is a smart controller that senses temp and humidity worth the extra $? Does anyone have a strong preference for one brand over the others? The ventilation system will be for a Mars-Hydro FC 6500 in a 4x4 tent.

Where will your tent be located? The biggest mistake in climate control is attempting to control the interior of the tent rather than the room(lung room) that the tent is in. Depending on how many plants/size, humidity is going to increase as plants expell around 90% of the water they drink. With an exhaust fan, that air is going to return back to your room and possibly increase the other overall climate.

You want to be able to control the climate inside the lung room to maintain VPD as attempting to do it inside the tent itself becomes an exercise in futility. Once you have your equipment, you can run everything for a typical cycle over the course of a day to get an idea of average temperature and humidity. In relation to VPD, you can determine what equipment you'll need to control your climate and limit large swings that could encourage pest/mold/pathogens.

I think the AC Infinity would be fine but the Inkbird work well though I would keep everything calibrated for the sake of consistency. I don't believe anything being a simple speed controller is necessary for the exhaust fan because if you treat the air in the lung room then all the air through the intake is already in range for VPD.

A *prosumer* option in the future for you might be a Trolmaster system that would let you control your devices with app connector, should ever need irrigation control or whatever else it would all integrate seamlessly.

Where will your tent be located?

In a small (8' x 11') bedroom w/ 1 register. My fingers are crossed that the additional heat and humidity from the grow will be enough to keep things happy over the winter, but I do have a space heater w/ thermostat and could get a humidifier if necessary.

Summers may be more of a challenge, I may have to consider a window A/C when that time comes.

In a small (8' x 11') bedroom w/ 1 register. My fingers are crossed that the additional heat and humidity from the grow will be enough to keep things happy over the winter, but I do have a space heater w/ thermostat and could get a humidifier if necessary.

Summers may be more of a challenge, I may have to consider a window A/C when that time comes.

You have the right plan then. Are you familiar with VPD vapor pressure deficit?

Back