Ventilation/Fans etc

I use terra blooms just a knob for adjustment nothing fancy 6" is better because lower rpms to run the same cfm, so very quiet. Plus the filters are bigger so you have more carbon which will filter better at lower speed. On intake I use an Automotive cloth filter you know the fancy ones, pick on up on eBay for $15.

I use terra blooms just a knob for adjustment nothing fancy 6" is better because lower rpms to run the same cfm, so very quiet. Plus the filters are bigger so you have more carbon which will filter better at lower speed. On intake I use an Automotive cloth filter you know the fancy ones, pick on up on eBay for $15.
May I ask how big the area your 6 inch carbon filter fan covers?

May I ask how big the area your 6 inch carbon filter fan covers?
I am using it in a 4x4 it would due a 5x5 as well. The bigger you go the filter will last longer. Terrabloom make two sizes a regular and long filter. The longer ones are more economical if you calculate it out or an 8inch filter with a 6-inch fan and an adapter. I run in reverse filter and fan are outside tent on floor.

I am using it in a 4x4 it would due a 5x5 as well. The bigger you go the filter will last longer. Terrabloom make two sizes a regular and long filter. The longer ones are more economical if you calculate it out or an 8inch filter with a 6-inch fan and an adapter. I run in reverse filter and fan are outside tent on floor.
Helpful. Thanks my aim is zero odour outside my tent. What adapter do you mean? Thx

FWIW, I have a 6" Canfan on my setup, with a Vivosun 6" filter now on grow #3. Both have worked fine, although the filter is on its last legs. The filter is not really an issue for me at the moment because I exhaust outdoors and we live in a rural location, so no neighbours to worry about.

As to noise, I run the fan on a PWM controller, and to my surprise, the fan is noisier at lower speed. The noise comes from the fan body itself, not the moving air, so a muffler would do little. The noise is no problem for me given the basement location, but it would be seriously annoying to anyone growing in their main living space. The noise seems to me to be a result of the pulses from the controller causing vibration with each pulse. Maybe with a different controller this would not happen, but my experience suggests that assuming low noise at low RPM may not work out well. :pighug:

Helpful. Thanks my aim is zero odour outside my tent. What adapter do you mean? Thx

If zero odor is a big deal you can put a extra fan with carbon filter in your tent, not connected to the outside, removing odor before going out exit fan and filter. I have not needed or tried myself but hear it works great.

Also if fan is on to fast the carbon has less time to reduce odors.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have a 6" Canfan on my setup, with a Vivosun 6" filter now on grow #3. Both have worked fine, although the filter is on its last legs. The filter is not really an issue for me at the moment because I exhaust outdoors and we live in a rural location, so no neighbours to worry about.

As to noise, I run the fan on a PWM controller, and to my surprise, the fan is noisier at lower speed. The noise comes from the fan body itself, not the moving air, so a muffler would do little. The noise is no problem for me given the basement location, but it would be seriously annoying to anyone growing in their main living space. The noise seems to me to be a result of the pulses from the controller causing vibration with each pulse. Maybe with a different controller this would not happen, but my experience suggests that assuming low noise at low RPM may not work out well. :pighug:
That is why the new fans are DC controlled an AC fan can't be quietly controlled. I had that problem with my old canfan years ago.

That is why the new fans are DC controlled an AC fan can't be quietly controlled. I had that problem with my old canfan years ago.
Cool, I had no idea that the new fans were completely new controller tech. If my Canfan ever dies, I will make sure that the replacement is the newer design. Thanks very much for alerting me.! :thanks: :worship:

Terrabloom sells a silencer fan perceived at 50% less noise. Grateful to know your thoughts. I like they offer energy efficient products and if they ship to Canada I'll probably buy my fan and filter from them directly. More selection. I'm going to email them. Thx

Back