Lighting UVB Lights: Up To 28% Increased THC Production (YES! It Works!)

Gabe

Autoflower Breeder
Reaction score
I'm tossing this in as a placeholder, I just pulled out all my articles on Trigger lights, and posted them, I'm goign to pull all my articles on UVB and post them here, if you click this before i get back to this, it works, get a 54w 46" desert reptile bulb, itll cover a 40" area, closer than 8" may be too close.

First, here is @Feenix doing a side by side that's pretty definitive:
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/small-uvb-experiment.43060/page-7

Last edited:
Read More Here... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=260046

This will be a well controlled experiment to test the difference between plants grown with UVB supplementation, and plants grown without.

The genetics are a strain called "psycho berry", they are all clones taken from the same mother.
They are running in NFT, in a 3x1.5m space, each side of the space has a single spectrum 1kw purely red bulb, there is a dual spectrum 600w hanging vertically in the center (but this is just to increase yield and contains little to no UVB.

Environmental factors
are rather equal and symmetrical throughout, temp and humidity range positives over the entire canopy are minimal to none.

The test done by some scientist, that some of you will no doubt refer to in this thread, is somewhat lacking in or rather has some misconceiving info in regards to amount of uvb supplemented (it seems RATHER low)

I am sure we will mostly agree that geographically the Hindu Kush is probably responsible for harboring the strongest land-races known to nature, so lets work down from here.

A good estimate for watts per square meter of sun power, along side these valleys/mountains, would be around 1050 watts.

If we take the fact that at ground level 3% of the suns power is composed of UV, this gives us around 31.5 watts per meter squared of "UV"

UV levels increase by 4% for every 300 metre rise in altitude, and the Valley of Kuran wa Munjan, is situated 1,800m above sea level, so lets take our 31.5 watts and increase it by %24 (7.5 watts) this gives us around about 39 watts per meter squared of UV radiation in the Hindu Kush ( and I think that's being generous)

Our ozone is great of coarse at filtering UVB (and the more energetic wavelengths), however we are not at great enough elevation in the Hindu Kush to start factoring this in.

Now lets consider that UVB rays constitute only 5% of ultraviolet radiation in our ozone and this gives us 5% of 39 watts, (1.95) to make it simple lets say that, in the Hindu kush UVB radiation is around 2 watts per square meter.

Our space is 1.5 x 1.5 meters which = 2.25 m2, so 2 watts(per square meter) x 2.25(meters squared) = 4.5 watts of UVB (AT CANOPY LEVEL) needed for our test

Now lets consider that "Repti Glo 10.0" bulbs are 10% UVB (290 to 320 nm), we would need 45 watts of this particular bulb, this is of coarse not factoring in loss of irradiance (meaning these bulbs will not be touching the test canopy(inverse square law)).

If we do factor in the above and consider the distance light source will be from canopy, we are going to want much closer to 80 watts of said bulb, which is great anyway because they are available in 40 watt tube models.

Lighting schedule: UV is at its peak during solar noon, and is dramatically lower in the mornings and evenings, IMHO, I think giving test plants 4 hours of UVB supplementation either side of their solar noon, (8 hours per day in total) is a pretty good compromise and quiet accurately replicates nature, if anyone disagrees with this please let me know.

When I started this thread it was not made active for a few weeks and I did not think it was going to be made active so I did not bother setting up the test, the plants are now 3 weeks into 12/12 so it's still early enough to setup, I will get on the case immediately, for those, including myself, that are very interested in an accurate comparison of UVB.

Testing Results: I do not currently have access to a Gas Chromatography test to compare the 2 samples, if someone wants to help out here let me know, I can provide the funds.
Of coarse if a obvious visual difference is noticeable then the test will provide a positive answer, HOWEVER if a visual difference is not noticeable we could still be missing something that a GC will detect, and even if a visual difference is noticeable I am sure we all want to know in percentage values what kind of increases took place, like I said someone reach out to me.

Conclusion to introduction:To properly replicate UVB levels in the Hindu Kush (where some of the most potent cannabis grows naturally) in to our test environment (or more accurately, test plants canopy) , we are going to want to use around 80 watts of "Repti Glo 10.0" bulbs. UVB supplementation will be timed to accurately represent concentration levels of UVB in said geographic region, we will look for a visual difference, a difference in affects during consumption, and hopefully a accurate test showing us the definitive answer to our test

Here are a few pics of our test area, I will take some more as soon as I get UVB equipment running

High Times themselves: http://www.hightimes.com/read/grow-hack-how-use-uv-lamp-increase-thc

Cannabis researchers in Maryland exposed pot plants to ultraviolet radiation to see what would happen. They found that increasing doses of UVB radiation, a natural part of sunlight, made the plants produce almost 28% more THC in the buds.

In attempting to understand more about the function cannabinoids serve, the scientists discovered a relatively simple way to increase potency by a great margin. They ran the UVB experiment on both high-CBD hemp and potent Jamaican marijuana to see if the cannabinoid content would increase. Curiously enough, while THC increased in the Jamaican weed, the Czechoslovakian hemp received from the University of Mississippi did not produce more CBD.

So UVB radiation plays a role in THC production, but cannabinoids as a whole still retain their mystique. One fact can’t be denied: UVB radiation increases THC in strains that already express high THC.

How to take advantage of the effect

UV light intensity increases significantly at higher altitudes; the best hash plants in the world are grown in mountains and elevated regions. According to the National Weather Service, UV light increases “4-5% for every 1000 feet ascended." This means going from Phoenix to the top of the San Francisco Peaks increases UV radiation by 50%!

States like Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado receive some of the highest intensities of UV light with little cloud cover compared to northern states. Check out this map from the EPA to see your area.

Special fluorescent light bulbs generate radiation similar to natural UV light, and were used in the study. Growers put the plants under 40W Westinghouse FS-40 Sunlamps 10 inches from the canopy. Those exact light bulbs might be hard to find now, but similar, relatively inexpensive products are available in bulk and would be the best option for greenhouse-sized grows. The lights were filtered with cellulose acetate to remove the UVC spectrum—potent, damaging ultraviolet rays that are naturally filtered out by the ozone layer.

Micro and mini grow-ops can benefit from UVB supplementation, but need smaller bulbs. Desert reptiles like the bearded dragon require the radiation to make vitamin D, just as humans do. You can purchase a small UVB-emitting lamp at most pet stores. Mineral enthusiasts also use UVB lamps to make their rocks fluoresce, but the small handheld lamps are probably not potent enough for even a single plant.

Official Study Confirms - 3-5% increases! http://medicalmarijuanagrowing.blogspot.com/

The subject about medical marijuana being used for medicinal purposes has long been taken care of and formalized in some parts of the world. Michigan is just some of the places in the world and states in the United States where marijuana is legal for medical use.

In fact, Michigan is one of the earliest states that passed and implement the medical marijuana law. To be specific, it was the thirteenth state to have a medical marijuana law. Looking back, it was on the fourth of November, 2008 when 63% of the Michigan voters had passed the Proposal 1.

Want to know more about Michigan Medical Marijuana and how to grow cannabis. Watch all the videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxS9ocS2vCzoPnrp37K3YQ/videos to become a pro at Marijuana growing!

The proposal shows to grant certain patients who are with defined medical conditions and under medical supervision to have the right to alleviate symptoms by using marijuana. It was a month after the proposal was passed when the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act took effect, on the fourth of December, 2008.

The act legalized two things. The first one was what the Michigan voters proposed, which is legalizing the use of marijuana for certain patients. The second was concerned about allowing patients as well as their primary caregiver to possess or grow a limited quantity of marijuana plants.

Presently, this allowed amount entails the quantity of 2.5 ounces marijuana as well as a maximum of 12 marijuana plants. Aside from these two, the law also included a registry identification card system for the qualifying patients and the primary caregivers.

Over the years, after the law’s legalization, the state of Michigan also saw a lot of revisions made concerning the rules that governs medical marijuana in the area. The first of these revisions took place in 2012 and the next one happened the following year.
By 2014, revisions were again made in these rules. Presently, the new rules are now in effect since the fifteenth of January, 2015. There were a total of three new rules stated in the revised law. These are:
  • Establish a reduced application fee from $100 to $60 for all the qualifying patients
  • Eradicate the decreased $25 application fee
  • Require caregivers to pay an amount of $25 for the processing fee for every criminal background check required of them
As said, the new rules started taking effect and began with its implementation on January 15, 2015. Because of these changes, one thing was required from the applicants specifically those who applied for the registry on or following the date of the new rules’ implementation. These applicants are required to use the new forms that can be found at the government states’ official website atwww.michigan.gov/mmp.

Some Issues Met with the New Medical Marijuana Rules in Michigan Following its Taking Effect

The reduced 2-year registration fee from $100 to $60 may seem like good news for everyone, or for patients needing access to medical marijuana to help relieve their symptoms. But criticisms were heard because of the planned removal of the reduced fee rate by LARA for those residents who are qualified to receive full Medicaid or Supplemental social Security benefits.

In the eyes of patients with low income, this could mean and increase of registration fees from $25 to $60. As a result, this will make it more difficult for these patients to have access to the drug.

This was done because of the new law signed by Rick Snyder that allows any government agency whom gives money to these high need patients through Medicaid or Medicare or social security to be removed from any government subsidies if they test positive for Marijuana. It was Bill Schutte’s way of bypassing the law and making it impossible for the people whom really need the medical marijuana to get it. Now they will have to choose between their medicine or government payments. Go Republicans!

Another issue was the required payment fees to be made by the caregivers for their criminal background check. This fee was shouldered by patients to verify their caregivers’ eligibility. This may be an advantage on the patients’ part. But, it may not be viewed similarly in the eyes of the caregivers who want to obtain a certification for growing medical marijuana.

Ed Rosenthal Weight in in Favor of UVB: http://mjgrowers.com/book_what_exper1.htm

UVB LIGHT

Ultra-violet B light is a spectrum of light that is invisible to us but is visible to insects and some other organisms. In humans it causes suntan and sunburn and is implicated in the formation of eye cataracts. It is the light emitted by tanning bulbs.

UVB light also affects marijuana potency. The potency of high quality marijuana increases in direct ratio to the amount of UVB light it receives. This is very significant. In California, where the medical dispensaries operate in an unrestricted market; many dispensaries reject fall harvested outdoor material as inferior. They have found it lacks the potency of indoor crops and is a harsh smoke. However, when they were presented with marijuana grown outdoors but forced to ripen August 10, they accepted it as if it were indoor because of its high potency and lack of harshness. I think the harshness results from cool nights.

Indoors, under fluorescent and HPS lamps, gardens receive little UV-B light. Metal halides emit a bit more. However, there are ways of supplying your garden with UV-B light. Tanning lamps work, that is, lamps that tan people, because of the UV-B light they emit. Using tanning lamps will increase the THC content of the crop. Reptiles and lizards require the spectrum to stay healthy. So the spectrum usually comprises about 10 percent of their output. If you want to try tanning lamps they are available on the Internet. Use between 5-10 percent of your total wattage to these lamps. For a 1000-watt garden use 100 watts of special lighting.

Adding UV-B light to your garden will enhance your marijuana naturally, without “special formulas” and chemicals.

Some Pretty Convincing Charts, Etc...http://www.rollitup.org/t/uvb-cannabis-science-report.160189/

The estimates below is my own estimations based on article mentioned below and actual research on the matter.

Article: UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH AND CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis Sativa CHEMOTYPES.
By: JOHN LYDON, ALAN H. TERAMULA and C. BENJAMIN COFFMAN.
Department of Botany, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA.

My estimated conclution: "Add 2 x 23w UVB lights / m2 to your grow room and increase THC levels up to 30% in buds."

Read this science article regarding UVB lights effect on drug type cannabis originated from high heigted tropical areas with highly elevated UVB levels. In experiments with plants they have shown an increase of THC concentration levels in leaves from in a range from 22% - 48% depending on UVB intensity. In flower trichomes they got an increase between 15% - 32%. Thats staggering news! Now, this is laboratory conditions with UVB lights flitered to emitt in 300 nm wavelenght UVB light. It's widely known that THC UVB absorption properties range between 280 - 315 nm, so that is important. There's no longer any doubt in my mind that UVB boosts the THC potency of drug type cannabis, and that dont having UVB light is not realising the full potential of our dear plants! Time for a change imho!

What id like to do is to get an estimate on how indoor growers could reproduce this results at home. To get an estimate on what lights, how much lights, and so on, wich could be beneficial. According to the scientists they used 240w UVB, but i dont know on how big of an area. The scientists says that 13,4 KJ / m2 is the level of UCB used in their trials, and that is as much as the UVB levels in 3000m altitude in mountains where strong marijuana is found to grow. According to the article marijuana grown in these UVB rich areas has a 33% increased THC content compared to the same marijuana grown at sea level.

Looking at wikipedia, i found that 1w = 3600 J (3,6KJ), but that seems a bit high compared to the ammount used by scientists, so I devided it to 0,36 KJ instead thinking i made some error somewhere. If i divide 240w (amount UVB scientist used) in 5m2, i get roughly 72w/m2, wich is around 14KJ according to my estimates, and that fits exactly and seems to be a fair estimate, so i think im on the right track here! Then, a 13w UVB light would give 4,5 KJ. Thats what i use, and that seems a bit lesser than needed. 2 x 23w UVB / m2 in the right spectrum should to the trick to produce massively strong cannabis with approximately up to 30% increased THC production in buds! I noticed the UVB bulb I use has the perfect spectrum for cannabis, repti glo 10.0. They come in 13w and 23w strength, and is avalible in sorted zoo shops.

Repti glo 10.0 UV spectrum chart:
uv_schema.jpg

It need to be stressed that UVB light is harmful to humans and plants that dont have developed defences to it (like cannabis has). When having such a bulb in the grow room, it need to be switched of when entering to room. Cancer is a known effect of UVB light exposure.

Peace
Tetra

Self Proclaimed 'Grow Guru' drops science: http://forums.strainhunters.com/topic/4951-how-does-uv-light-effect-marijuana-plants/

What if I told you that increasing the potency of your favorite strains was as easy as hanging up a few 20 watt florescent lights? To good to be true? More like too true not to do. It turns out the same thing baking your skin at the beach can make prized buds swell with THC. Ultra-violet (UV) light has the power to turn a good strain into a real head-knocker.

What Is UV Light?

At this point you might be asking, "how is UV light different from normal light?" Even though humans can't see it, a good way to think of UV is to visualize a rainbow and pretend there is an extra color band past the blue and purple. All light is basically just waves of energy, and UV light is just like any other form of radiation. These waves wash over your plants at different frequencies (how many waves pass per second). UV light has a smaller gap between each wave than visible light, which means more waves are passing per second. This gives UV high energy, making it more like an X-ray than a radio wave.

How Does UV Light Effect Marijuana Plants?

But what does all this mean to your cannabis garden? To answer that, we need to investigate how UV light affects plants cells. Ultra-violet radiation, particularly UVB, has been shown to be detrimental to plant cell function. UV causes damage to plant cells in the same way it tears through your skin, eventually causing sunburn. As a result of this damage, all plants have created defenses against UV in the form of gene UVR8.

UVR8 is a protein molecule which senses UV all by itself, and then "tells" plant cells to change their behavior. Exactly how UVR8 molecules sense UV was recently discovered and is pretty interesting. UVR8 is what chemists call a "dimer." which just means that it's made of two structurally similar protein subunits. When UV light hits the two protein subunits in UVR8, their charge weakens and they break apart. To help visualize this, imagine rubbing two balloons against one another. The balloons will stick together because of a static charge. Now imagine the balloons get rained on. The water takes the static charge with it and the two balloons fly apart. In this example, the balloons are the two protein subunits and the rain is UV light cascading down on the plant cell. After the protein subunits break apart, they head to the cell nucleus to deliver their information.

More UV Can Mean More THC

One of these changes caused by this information is very important in your cannabis garden. UV stress stimulates cannabis' production of chemicals via the phenylpropanoid pathway, specifically malonyl-CoA and phenylalanine. Why is this important? It's important because cannabis uses malonyl-CoA to make Olivtol, which it in turn uses to make THC. Now we can see the specific pathway which cannabis uses to increase potency when exposed to UV light.

UV light is already present in your garden, but it's being blocked by the special glass your bulb is made of. Lamp manufacturers must use this type of glass by law because UV light can cause skin cancer when humans are overexposed. You wouldn't want everyone getting cancer from street lights would you? You can increase the amount of UV getting to your cannabis by mixing metal halide bulbs into your bloom room and leaving the glass off your air-cooled hoods. But a better and safer way is to buy and install cheap fluorescent UV lights.

Remember, UV light causes stress to the plant, so put the fluorescents on timers and only have them on for part of the light cycle. Having them on for fifteen minutes of every hour should do the trick. The only downside of this whole process is that yields go down slightly. The plant has to reroute resources and undergoes some physical damage from the UV. As long as you don't overdo the UV the increase in quality is well worth the decrease in yield.

Expansion on teh previous 5% study, will shorter periods of UVB work as well? https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...ncreases-medical-marijuana-potency-3-5.70648/

Does a shortened UVA UVB exposure schedule result in the same 5% THC increase?

The question is:
Is it possible to increase the potency of cannabis 5% or more by shortening the amount of time the marijuana plants are exposed?

After extensive testing trial and error we have found it is neither myth nor magic but rather a natural reproductive response. There is no need to expose the plants through vedge or even all the way through bloom.
Instead we only subjected the medical marijuana plants during the last 2 weeks at 12 hours continuous UVA UVB light exposure.

Over the same 7 different strains all increased at least 5% over what they had tested without the UVA UVB lighting and the same as when we had exposed them for 12 hours under the ultraviolet lighting.

We had all 7 strains tested at the same place as before chose very nice, large top flowers closest to our lights. We then dried them for 2 weeks at 80 degrees 45% humidity hanging on stems. After that we cured the medical marijuana in a jar for one more week.

Preparation for testing after being subjected to the UVA UVB lighting and then drying and curing is to trim or manicure it as best as humanly possible.
Here is why..

When a sample is brought in for testing the individual performing the test will grind down the sample then perform multiple test on portions of the 1 gram sample they were given. They will then average out the results from the test results they have taken and record those findings. The results you see on your report can either be the average of the samples, the highest test result recorded or if they only do one sample test then that will be the number recorded on your report.

Due to the fact that once the sample is ground up each test will vary in results. Also any leaf material or branch material will lower your THC and CBD percentages. That is why it is critical to manicure your flowers as best as you possibly can.

Now some background info on why the UVA UVB lighting increases THC.

Ok so we all know or should know the most potent strains of cannabis come from mountainous regions. The higher the elevation the better more potent the strain becomes. Why is this you might ask? Because THC is a natural sunblock or UVA UVB blocker nature has ever created. The plant produces more and more to protect itself from damage. Remember the natural instinct of a marijuana plant is to reproduce and live another day. If the sun bakes it's seeds and ruins the chance for reproduction its dead, no more reproduction. So to compensate for the high altitudes and high UVA UVB light spectrum exposure the marijuana plant produces more THC.

Downside is once we bring the cannabis plant indoors there is no longer any exposure to UVA UVB lighting so the potency is decreased immensely. None of the bulbs on the market that we use to grow with contain much if any of the ultraviolet light spectrum. On top of that the glass in our hoods and distance from the plants also decrease or eliminate any of the ultraviolet light available. Side note: Don't even bother with LED or CFL bulbs that claim to produce UVA UVB light. They do not produce enough useable light to show any increase in THC. Now I have heard the the new double ended bulbs do have a decent amount of useable ultraviolet light and we will be testing those very soon.

Next phase of UVA UVB experiments

Our next phase of testing will be to cut the UVA UVB exposure down even more! We will be doing a 2 week 6hr a day exposure schedule and then perform the same testing on all the strains we have tested prior to see if the 5% increase stays the same or decreases. Our expectation is that it will stay the same!

Hope this has been very helpful to everyone who reads our blog posts. Our intention is to increase awareness of the effects of UVA UVB lighting on medical marijuana plants resulting in stronger medication for sick or terminally ill patients. The better the quality of medication the less will be required to treat and medicate these patients.

Warning!!!! UVB UVA is known to cause eye injury including formation of cataracts. Turn reptile or tanning bulbs off when working in your groom.

http://medicalmarijuanagrowing.blogspot.com/

Here is some more data I found on another site.

This will be a well controlled experiment to test the difference between plants grown with UVB supplementation, and plants grown without.

The genetics are a strain called "psycho berry", they are all clones taken from the same mother.
They are running in NFT, in a 3x1.5m space, each side of the space has a single spectrum 1kw purely red bulb, there is a dual spectrum 600w hanging vertically in the center (but this is just to increase yield and contains little to no UVB.

Environmental factors
are rather equal and symmetrical throughout, temp and humidity range positives over the entire canopy are minimal to none.

The test done by some scientist, that some of you will no doubt refer to in this thread, is somewhat lacking in or rather has some misconceiving info in regards to amount of uvb supplemented (it seems RATHER low)

I am sure we will mostly agree that geographically the Hindu Kush is probably responsible for harboring the strongest land-races known to nature, so lets work down from here.

A good estimate for watts per square meter of sun power, along side these valleys/mountains, would be around 1050 watts.

If we take the fact that at ground level 3% of the suns power is composed of UV, this gives us around 31.5 watts per meter squared of "UV"

UV levels increase by 4% for every 300 metre rise in altitude, and the Valley of Kuran wa Munjan, is situated 1,800m above sea level, so lets take our 31.5 watts and increase it by %24 (7.5 watts) this gives us around about 39 watts per meter squared of UV radiation in the Hindu Kush ( and I think that's being generous)

Our ozone is great of coarse at filtering UVB (and the more energetic wavelengths), however we are not at great enough elevation in the Hindu Kush to start factoring this in.

Now lets consider that UVB rays constitute only 5% of ultraviolet radiation in our ozone and this gives us 5% of 39 watts, (1.95) to make it simple lets say that, in the Hindu kush UVB radiation is around 2 watts per square meter.

Our space is 1.5 x 1.5 meters which = 2.25 m2, so 2 watts(per square meter) x 2.25(meters squared) = 4.5 watts of UVB (AT CANOPY LEVEL) needed for our test

Now lets consider that "Repti Glo 10.0" bulbs are 10% UVB (290 to 320 nm), we would need 45 watts of this particular bulb, this is of coarse not factoring in loss of irradiance (meaning these bulbs will not be touching the test canopy(inverse square law)).

If we do factor in the above and consider the distance light source will be from canopy, we are going to want much closer to 80 watts of said bulb, which is great anyway because they are available in 40 watt tube models.

Lighting schedule: UV is at its peak during solar noon, and is dramatically lower in the mornings and evenings, IMHO, I think giving test plants 4 hours of UVB supplementation either side of their solar noon, (8 hours per day in total) is a pretty good compromise and quiet accurately replicates nature, if anyone disagrees with this please let me know.

When I started this thread it was not made active for a few weeks and I did not think it was going to be made active so I did not bother setting up the test, the plants are now 3 weeks into 12/12 so it's still early enough to setup, I will get on the case immediately, for those, including myself, that are very interested in an accurate comparison of UVB.

Testing Results: I do not currently have access to a Gas Chromatography test to compare the 2 samples, if someone wants to help out here let me know, I can provide the funds.
Of coarse if a obvious visual difference is noticeable then the test will provide a positive answer, HOWEVER if a visual difference is not noticeable we could still be missing something that a GC will detect, and even if a visual difference is noticeable I am sure we all want to know in percentage values what kind of increases took place, like I said someone reach out to me.

Conclusion to introduction:To properly replicate UVB levels in the Hindu Kush (where some of the most potent cannabis grows naturally) in to our test environment (or more accurately, test plants canopy) , we are going to want to use around 80 watts of "Repti Glo 10.0" bulbs. UVB supplementation will be timed to accurately represent concentration levels of UVB in said geographic region, we will look for a visual difference, a difference in affects during consumption, and hopefully a accurate test showing us the definitive answer to our test .

If you plan to be in the room with the UVB bulbs for long periods, they cause sunburn! http://www.who.int/uv/faq/uvhealtfac/en/

UVB stimulates the production of new melanin, which leads to a heavy increase in the dark-coloured pigment within a few days. This tan may last a relatively long time. UVB also stimulates the cells to produce a thicker epidermis. Therefore, UVB is responsible both for the darkening and thickening of the outer cell layers – these reactions are the body's defence against further UV damage.

However, higher doses of UVB cause sunburn which increases your likelihood of developing cancer. The exact mechanism of how UVB initiates or promotes cancer is not yet known. In people suffering from Xeroderma pigmentosum, a rare pigmentation disease, the ability to repair DNA damage caused by exposure to UV radiation is impaired. The much-increased rates of skin cancer in these patients suggest that direct UV damage of DNA may be the mechanism that links exposure to the development of cancer.

And also wear Sunglasses, according to teh optometrists! http://www.who.int/uv/faq/uvhealtfac/en/

There are three types of UV radiation: UV-C is absorbed by the ozone layer and does not present any threat; UV-A and UV-B radiation can have adverse long- and short-term effects on the eyes and vision.

If your eyes are exposed to excessive amounts of UV radiation over a short period of time, you are likely to experience an effect called photokeratitis.

Like a “sunburn of the eye”, photokeratitis may be painful and include symptoms such as red eyes, a foreign body sensation or gritty feeling in the eyes, extreme sensitivity to light and excessive tearing. Fortunately, this is usually temporary and rarely causes permanent damage to the eyes.

Long-term exposure to UV radiation, however, can be more serious. Scientific studies and research have shown that exposure to small amounts of UV radiation over a period of many years increases the chance of developing a cataract and may cause damage to the retina, a nerve-rich lining of the eye that is used for seeing. Additionally, chronic exposure to shorter wavelength visible light (i.e. blue and violet light) may also be harmful to the retina.

The longer the eyes are exposed to solar radiation, the greater the risk of developing later in life such conditions as cataracts or macular degeneration. Since it is not clear how much exposure to solar radiation will cause damage, the AOA recommends wearing quality sunglasses that offer UV protection and wearing a hat or cap with a wide brim whenever you spend time outdoors. Also,certain contact lenses can provide additional UV protection.

Back