Lighting IR Trigger Lights For 17% More Yield - Why Aren't You Doing This?

See, I don't go for the 24hrs a day model, I find it 'unnatural' if that's the correct way to put it... even in places where ruderalis grows naturally, there are still (brief) periods of dark every day, and most of the strains that we grow today are some sort of mix of photos and rudys. Now, if you ever had seeds that expressed primarily ruderalis traits, you know that the buds tend to be smaller, less potent, terrible tasting, and just not as satisfying all around - the the 'flowering' genes we want to promote are coming from those photos, which are influenced by IR, or far red light.

Have I personally run tests of non far red light exposed plants vs far red light exposed plants? I have not, and there are really far too many other factors in play if I did, I would have to test strains against each other for years to be able to answer those questions definitively. What I do know, is there have been many studies indicating that not just cannabis, but most flowering plants benefit from even brief dark periods, and that exposure to far red light improves flowering.

My goal as a grower is to recreate an ideal outdoor environment for my plants, and exposure to IR as well as UVB is a part of that. Even if you doubt the necessity of exposing rudys to IR, the information is still good for photos, and it really only costs about $2 to add IR to your setup, so, hey, why not?

Sometimes science is more of an art art than a science.

That makes sense, I also think after having done some reading the last couple of months, that auto's react different to photo's when exposed to far-red.

I noticed that ED made a point about the far-red being 730 nm, and from there it goes the usual way of wishful thinking, confusion, pseudoscience and cherry picked reference to dubious sources of far-red information..... All wrapped in sufficiently arcane words specific to illumination biology that makes any laymen take pause and wonder.....

Here http://mjgrowers.com/book_what_exper2.htm ED writes following without being particular about any specific wave length, in fact DIY and black lights from pet shops in deemed up to the.... ermmmmm..... Task....

In Experiments at the Cutting Edge, Part I, I discussed critical dark periods that induce flowering. When the plant repeatedly receives an uninterrupted dark period of that length, flowering is induced. The plant measures darkness as the absence of red light. To stop a plant from flowering, interrupt the dark period with red light such as the light from an incandescent bulb half way the dark period and the plant will continue to grow vegetatively.

When the red light ends it takes the inactive form (which doesn’t promote flowering) about two hours to change over to the active form. This can be speeded up considerably by far red light. You cannot see far red light but you can feel it as heat. Incandescent bulbs emit about 10% of their energy as visible light. The other 90% is emitted as far red light. When the light hits a solid object, the energy is converted to heat.

You can make your own far red energy lamp by covering an incandescent bulb with opaque black paper. The visible light is blocked but the far red rays go through the filter. Far red bulbs are available at pet shops where they are sold as black heat lamps.

When far red light comes in contact with the inactive form of the flowering hormone, the hormone is immediately converted to the active form. The far red light doesn’t have to remain in contact with the plants long—just a few moments will do.

Photoperiodism is a localized effect. If you had a plant with two branches and one of the branches was given a flowering light regime while the other was given continuous light, the first branch would flower but the second would continue to grow vegetatively. Because the effect is localized, all parts of the plant must be reached with the far red light. Think of applying far red light as you would think of spraying water on the plant. The entire plant and all its vegetation must be dripping with water when you are done. It is in this manner that you have to spray the plant with invisible light. The spraying should take place each evening after dusk or after the lights have been turned off.

The Effects of Far red Light on Outdoor Gardens

(WARNING: THESE METHODS ARE BEING TESTED NOW. THE RESULTS WILL BE AVAILABLE LATER THIS YEAR.)

In an earlier article “Project Haiku,” I described how to force plants to flower early by covering them each day using an opaque curtain. They were harvested eight weeks after forcing began.

Far red light can substitute for the curtain tossing. In Northern California, where Project Haiku took place, June 22 is the longest day and shortest night of the year; the garden received 14¾ hours of light and 9¼ of darkness. The short dark period prevents flowering. Chemically, the inactive flowering hormone is taking its time, 2 hours worth, to convert to the active form. The plants are under the influence of the flowering hormone for only 7¼ hours, so the plant remains growing vegetatively.

When the plants are “sprayed” with far red light, the hormones convert over to the active form. If this is done daily at dusk, it gives the plants another two hours under the influence of the active hormone each day. This is a long enough period for them to be induced to grow buds and start flowering. So if a garden was forced in May it will ripen in July. A June forced garden, such as PH, is harvested in August

The main problem with using far red light is that it sometimes induces stem stretching. There is a solution: spray the plants with blue light. Blue light has been used for decades in a few commercial nurseries to keep plants compact and prevent stretching. Plant photoperiodism is not affected by the blue spectrum. After the plants are sprayed with far red light, a spray of blue light keeps the stems short and stocky.

Far red Light Indoors Gardens

(WARNING: FINAL RESULTS FROM THESE EXPERIMENTS HAVE NOT YET BEEN REPORTED)

The typical indoor flowering room spends 12 hours a day, half its time, in darkness. The positive side of this is that the dark period forces the plants to flower. The negative side is that while the plants are in darkness they don’t photosynthesize.

A few growers have figured out their plants’ critical flowering time and increased the lit period by up to an hour and a half. Instead of spending 50% of their time in darkness, they spend only 44%. More importantly they luxuriate under the lights for another 6% of the time. That’s an increase of more than 12% of the lighted period. A corresponding increase in yield should follow.

Using an far red light spray followed by the blue light cuts down the need for as long a dark period as plants are normally given. Imagine if you could reduce the dark period by 2 hours, more than 16% of the lighted period.

If both techniques were used the lighted period would total up to 15½ hours, three and a half more hours each day for creating sugars and energy for growth. The final result: Bigger buds, and more of them.

And here's an argument that far-red is downright detrimental to bushy plants and another "shower" of blue light is necessary according to ED, to counter any far-red induced stretching..... Huh....http://www.rollitup.org/t/730nm-good-or-bad.833474/

And meanwhile my HS1 lights, which has been fitted with a generous dollop of IR /far-red is running 24/0 without any girls nodding off here and there, at least not that I've noticed.

However with photo's........

@Gabe and @Corgy

thanks for responding
its a good thing to discuss here how we can use this knowledge about light additions and maybe bust some myths.

UVB and IR are present in sunlight and as gabe said its a good goal to aim for a replication of natural circumstances in your growroom

Still think wr are mixing up a few things here which may lead to false presumptions.

the title of this thread states we can increase yield with 17% but i think there are some boundaries

What happens in the dark!
No...not the R rated stuff

First photosyntheses
as there is a night and day form of phytochrome
so there is night and day version of photosyntheses.
IMG-20160124-WA0002.jpg

Basically this applies to any plant but there are some differences in photosynheses when you look into Cam3 or Cam4 plants.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-independent_reactions

PHOTOPERIODIC and AUTOFLOWER plants
both siwtch to the dark, light independent photsyntheses.
."immediatly" after lights out
Until they receive light to start calvin cycle....light dependend

PHOTOPERIOD
depend on phytochrome level to determine when to flower. In general they need aprox 14 hours complete DARKNESS to maintain enough flower active phytochrome.

AUTOFLOWER
Dont depend on dark period to produce flowers.
this does not mean they dont have phytochrome.
its probably Playing some role here...
its just set in such a way it does not need the dark period.....
to achieve the level of flower active phytchrome
I have done some research...it appears unknow what actually causes this trait in the ruderalis...we only know...it starts this flower process at a mostly genotype determined AGE

SO WHAT IS THE RESULT OF IR SPRAYING?

IR, far red light can be used to manipulate the plantS perception of day or night. The circadian rithme

SO you can give your photoperiodic plants about 17 percent more time of light to produce sugars and still have the correct phytochrome level to flower.

Now lets look at autoflowers again..
these already get...lets say 20 hours of light a day. By spraying them with IR would result in...well... nothing because the autoflower doesnt give a shit about the lenght of day :D

Still the dark period makes sense.
but only because of the biological processes in phytosynthesis not the phytochrome part.
UVB is more interresting imo

try to recreate nature in you room
doent give then the 24/0 but give the platns a few hours of darknes to switch cycles.

judging from the phytochrome conversion..taking 2 hours, i think your dark period should be at least that long...

i run 20/4

Good growing to all of you
Buddy

not that's its too relevant to the current conversation, but I run UV(410) and IR(730) 24/0. In my particular situation(very limited vertical) IR is also said to make plants short, and have tight nodes. The light with UV and IR is a GalaxyHydro.

Sorry to revive a year dead thread, But what were the results of the experiments?

I have found both stated traits to work. Under the UV there is indeed a more rapid crystal production and earlier production as well, and overall plants have stayed squat from the close proximity IR. Take a look in the dragon meds category for my threads if you want to see.

Back